PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Internet Broadcasting and Podcasting

andrewzarian
09-17-2012, 04:49 AM
A very interesting discussion happening on Facebook about the differences between the Two. It seems like many people think that anything Live would fall under internet Broadcasting and anything involving an RSS would be a Podcast. What do you think? Is there a difference between the two?

BradShoemaker
09-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Dictionary.com describes a podcast as: a digital audio or video file or recording, usually part of a themed series, that can be downloaded from a Web site to a media player or computer

Wikipedia describes it as: a type of digital media consisting of an episodic series of audio, video, PDF, or ePub files subscribed to and downloaded through web syndication or streamed online to a computer or mobile device.

It would seem that the consensus is that it is a media file (most likely episodic or series) that can be subscribed to and downloaded or streamed.

It sounds as though when referring to stream, they mean of an already finished and uploaded to a site. The content exists in its entirety, therefore Live Streaming would not be a podcast.

As there really is no concrete definition of Internet Broadcast, I believe it to be bigger. Just as Broadcasting can mean radio or TV or even both if it is a simulcast event, I think Internet Broadcasting can be a podcast, a streaming live show, etc.

jamesdelfresco
09-17-2012, 03:32 PM
I mean isnt it all the same thing? Internet Broadcast / Podcast?

Dahalabit
09-18-2012, 06:48 AM
They are two totally different things. Internet Broadcasting to me means a radio style of broadcasting. a Podcast can be anyone recording audio and putting it out.