PDA

View Full Version : Are you Planning to buy a Tricaster 40?

robistech
08-30-2012, 09:21 PM
As a High School student, there's no way I am going to afford one, but I am interested to see if anyone is planning to pick one up. 4 channel HD input, with all that Newtek packs in with software, $5k is not bad at all. Big win for Internet Broadcasters and all who want to save some money. It will definitely also make people think twice before buying an ATEM.

andrewzarian
08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
I think its a great buy for 5 grand. It really allows you to do what all the big names are doing but at a fraction of the price. I think this device is going to be in the hands of a lot of internet broadcasters in the coming months.

jamesdelfresco
08-31-2012, 09:18 PM
No way I can spend that much money this early !

erictimmer
08-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Since I like doing it the hard way I would rather build a PC (or update my current gaming pc) and use Vidblaster Pro, though I see the value in a turnkey setup like this.

Linuxcooldude
09-01-2012, 11:23 AM
You really have to examine if your broadcast justifies the high cost. If someones very well established and has revenue coming in with a multitude of viewers then its probably money well spent. Other then that cheaper solutions for smaller broadcaster like video switchers. Even a ATEM is a good alternative with some good options.

andrewzarian
09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
For sure the Tricaster isn't for everyone doing Internet Broadcasting but there is a place for it. If you do the match the software and hardware needed to do HD broadcasting can be upwards of 3500 dollars. Another 1500 bucks for a tricaster doesn't sound too bad :)

andrewzarian
09-02-2012, 06:01 PM
I did a little math. Here is what I have spent over the past 3 years when it comes to Video. Im sure im missing some things but here it goes.

Video Hardware
Switching machine: $1500
Encoding Machine: $1500
Skype machine 1: $750
Skype machine 2: $500
Audio laptop: $350
Remote Show machine $750
Upgrades over 3 years $1000
Total For hardware $6500

Software
Vidblaster Broadcaster $2000
Vidblaster 2 Upgrade $1000
Vidblaster Pro $500
Total for Software $3500

Grand Total $10,000

robistech
09-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Like others are saying, if you think about how much you've spent on hardware and software, it's not to bad of a deal. Especially considering the Trcaster is a finally tuned combination of both hardware and software, so there can be a lot of hassle avoided. Don't forget those awesome live virtual sets included in the Tricaster. That's an additional cost for Wirecast and (I believe) not even a feature in Vidblaster.

joedemax
09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
This new TriCaster is going to be a revolution. Just watch.

mcphillips
09-02-2012, 06:58 PM
How well would it work with four Skypezillas?

joedemax
09-02-2012, 07:02 PM
How well would it work with four Skypezillas?

TriCaster 40 has 4 component video inputs, and also 2 network inputs. If you didn't have any cameras to use, you could plug in your 4 Skype's right into the front of the TriCaster using the video inputs. TriCaster 40 also has 2 external network inputs which can be used for iVGA, which is used to grab computers via the LAN. This could be used to bring in 2 more Skype sources.

robistech
09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I agree with Joedemax. It's not only a revolution for Internet Broadcasters, but also for churches, schools, and non profits. I would love to use a Tricaster 40 for our live morning broadcasts at my High School. Those virtual sets look amazing! I'm interested to see if Newtek is following our discussion. My High School would be a great test candidate, we would love to try it! ;)

joedemax
09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I agree with Joedemax. It's not only a revolution for Internet Broadcasters, but also for churches, schools, and non profits. I would love to use a Tricaster 40 for our live morning broadcasts at my High School. Those virtual sets look amazing! I'm interested to see if Newtek is following our discussion. My High School would be a great test candidate, we would love to try it! ;)

You've got the right idea. This is a video appliance - and as such is not comparable to rolling your on solution without whatever software switcher you choose. This isn't going to be immune to tearing, dropped frames, lost video inputs ect. It's an appliance, not a computer.

andrewzarian
09-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Each skype line would have to go in via component or a converter.

joedemax
09-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Each skype line would have to go in via component or a converter.

Or - as previously mentioned, iVGA could work.

Spino
09-09-2012, 01:39 AM
I think that Tricaster 40 is a great opportunity for broadcasters but I'm curious to have feedback by the users about the behaviour under strong stress in term of resources. In other words I'm curious to know the behaviour with, for example, a session 1920x1080 with, at the same time, four HD cameras, two ivga, three virtualset with a video running on the background, streaming at 720p and recording full HD: no drop frames? what about the latency?, etc... My opininon is that Tricaster 40 has an architecture based on a Windows PC with a great software to manage all the resources and I'd like to know wich CPU is used and how much Ram is employed to manage everything without any problem.

andrewzarian
09-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Thats a great Question Spino. I think most of the work is done Via the special Hardware they have in the tc40. Im Sure Joedemax can answer your question.

cseeman
09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Not planing on buying.
I like Newtek's software but I don't like analog inputs. Of course many people may not see the difference.

It's relatively inexpensive to have four HD-SDI inputs with a Blackmagic Quad. I know some people experimenting with a Quad into a Sonnet Echo Express PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis into a higher end MacBookPro with Wirecast for example. Of course this is assuming you also have the budget for HD-SDI equipped cameras.

The question might be a bit trickier with HDMI cameras. HDMI isn't good for long cable runs without some additional expense. Analog doesn't have that issue.

jamesdelfresco
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Do you think that we will see a lower cost one in the future? maybe around 2 grand

cseeman
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Do you think that we will see a lower cost one in the future? maybe around 2 grand

Future is a long time. I doubt it would be possible within the next year or longer. They've already cut a lot by making it analog only. There's not much more they can cut.