PDA

View Full Version : Audio only podcast. Can it survive?

andrewzarian
08-17-2012, 07:31 PM
During the IAIB Hangout we had an interesting discussion on the future of Audio only podcasts. With more and more people going over to video and live broadcasting is there a future for Audio only?

What do you guys think?

MyTakeRadio
08-18-2012, 12:14 AM
As an audio broadcaster I feel that the future of audio mediums are secure. With people traveling and driving audio still has a home. You can't watch video while driving and even at most offices. Audio is safe for the time being. While the need to move to video is essential we can't lose sight of audio only audience.

andrewzarian
08-18-2012, 05:55 AM
I totally agree that there will always be a place for Audio only. With more and more cars being equipped with internet radio it will eventually take over as the source for entertainment in the car. With that said Do you feel that adding Video to your internet broadcast gives you an advantage over someone who does not?

Spencer Kobren
08-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Video content that translates well into audio only formats is the way to go.

MyTakeRadio
08-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I totally agree that there will always be a place for Audio only. With more and more cards being equipped with internet radio it will eventually take over as the source for entertainment in the car. With that said Do you feel that adding Video to your internet broadcast gives you an advantage over someone who does not?

That depends on the type of video being added. If it is a video version of the show you have the opportunity to post it in places that are video friendly like Vimeo, Blip, Twitch and Justin TV which allows your brand to reach new audiences. You can just as easily do a channel affiliated with your brand and add different things. I post our shows in video form on YouTube and will be streaming gameplay soon as well. While it's not the same as the shows it will show a new side of our brand and what we offer.

podcastcoach
08-19-2012, 04:10 PM
When I spoke with Rob Walch from Wizzard (libsyn) Media, he pointed out that of the top 60 podcasts, 58 were audio. I think it will be fine.

Donovan
08-19-2012, 04:18 PM
When I spoke with Rob Walch from Wizzard (libsyn) Media, he pointed out that of the top 60 podcasts, 58 were audio. I think it will be fine.

Yeah, until we're all riding in Google cars where we can do whatever we want and watch whatever we want, audio is still the best solution to keep us entertained without crashing our rides! :)

RadarGaming
08-19-2012, 07:24 PM
I do think audio podcast still have a future because I listen to most of my podcast while cutting the lawn or doing other activities where I cant watch video. So audio is still going strong.

jamesdelfresco
08-20-2012, 06:09 AM
What about live broadcasts? Do you think it is necessary for us to provide a video stream for our live podcast?

RadarGaming
08-20-2012, 07:28 AM
What about live broadcasts? Do you think it is necessary for us to provide a video stream for our live podcast?

Oh, I agree 100% during the live broadcast I just had the camera on me but that will be changing soon when I get my new computer and I will be doing full 720p video and putting out audio and video after the fact. But I think even if you only release a audio podcast that during the live broadcast you NEED to have some kind of video. Even if its just you and webpages.

andrewzarian
08-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I feel that offering both live Audio and video feed is extremely important.

@Dave : I agree that Audio is still king but I am seeing a large increase to my video downloads. The next year or two will be telling.

William Thomas
08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I like the idea of simulcast as the the best way to go. Why wouldn't you go after both audiences at the same time?

JaseRossi
08-21-2012, 07:50 AM
I think audio will be around for a long time. Until we can stream and watch video without the worry of having a good connection on mobile devices or bandwidth caps.

I was actually having this discussion with my wife the other day. I was going through the video version of are show and talking about how we are unhappy with the way the video version looks. This got me thinking about if the video download and live video is hurting my broadcast since people are very use to the high quality productions that have great lighting, HD feeds, good looking studio etc.

I know I could just buy better lighting, cameras etc and I plan on doing that, but I am in the process of moving into a new place in the next few months and that budget is completely focused on that. I am just really unhappy with the way my video part of the production is coming out. I am really on the ropes about going back to just doing audio until I can afford to do things right and not look like I am half-assing it. I know video has it's perks but if the video production is not 100% spot on, it could end up hurting more then helping.

I could be wrong, I could be just a picky bastard LOL ;)

BradShoemaker
08-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Audio only will always have a place. Until Google's self driving cars are available en masse, there will always be a need for audio only entertainment (be it talk music, etc). People in their offices are more likely to have audio on in the background than watch videos.

However, Audio + Video allows you to be versatile. Options are a good thing and allow people to choose how they interact with your show.

ChaseShumway
08-21-2012, 05:24 PM
I hope audio isn't going away. We're audio only and have no immediate plans to do video. Our show doesn't really need to be video. I think some people feel they need video because that's what Leo did. He's building an online TV network though. That, to me, is much different than producing a podcast.

I find myself often surfing the web or working on something else while just listening to a video stream.

Don't get me wrong, I think video is a great option (I've worked in TV production for years) but I don't know if it necessarily has to be the end goal for all podcasters. I wouldn't go video with our show until I could make it more interesting to the viewer (i.e. not just showing us talk into a mic, but also cutting to a website or whatever we might be talking about). To me, audio is just a different form of art/media the way painting is different from just drawing.

The only thing we have to worry about is making someone laugh so hard while driving with Stitcher on that they crash into a fence or something.

jamesdelfresco
08-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I am only doing audio right now and hope there is a place for audio.

Dahalabit
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
there will always be a place for audio.... you will never have video in cars

erictimmer
08-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Audio is a must for commuters and workouts :-)