PDA

View Full Version : Building a hackintosh

andrewzarian
08-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Anyone out there running a Hackintosh? I just finished my first one and im amazed at how stable it is. Even though some of the hardware is not fully supported its running as perfect as it can be.

What hardware are you guys using for your Hackintosh? Any tips you can give someone just starting out?

ChaseShumway
08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I built one a couple of months ago for video production. I put a solid state drive in it for the OS, Intel i7-2600K processor, 16 GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD6870. There's an extra 500 GB internal drive for miscellaneous storage and we have a G-Speed 4 TB external drive for media storage. For audio, I use Samson USB monitors that are actually recognized as a sound card when plugged in. They sound great and have professional XLR and quarter-inch inputs on the front, so they work well as a USB audio interface too.

I don't use this rig for our show. In fact, it's not even at my house. But I have access to it. :)

Apparently OSX isn't a fan of hot swapping eSATA. The tower I used has a hard drive dock on the top. When I plugged in a drive, it crashed the Hachintosh... HA! Later I found out online that OSX doesn't support hot swapping on internal SATA connectors, with which this external one was wired. On the G5 it requires a reboot, on a Hackintosh it requires a system lock up and hard restart.

The SSD is from Other World Computing. I chose them because the drive has ideal TRIM settings for OSX. Since this was my first Hackintosh, I wanted to minimize any potential headaches. OWC drives were recommended by a lot of folks doing Hackintoshes.

It runs beautifully. So far, no smoke, sparks or explosions.

riverregionmedia
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
i'm highly interested in building one for video editing.

i'm currently researching about how to convert a dell optiplex that i plan to order into a hackintosh

andrewzarian
08-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Last week on Tech News Weekly my Pick of the week was a great website Tonymacx86.com The site gives you everything you need to build a hackintosh. It also has a great forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShK0RYFcxuA