PDA

View Full Version : Powerpress + libsyn + existing iTunes feed= Am I doing it right?

MyTakeRadio
08-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey Guys,
So I decided that after episode 150 I would begin posting all new episodes on the site for our RSS subscribers. I used to just drop the audio in an audio player plugin but decided to give powerpress a shot. I posted episode 150 on the site using powerpress and our episode URL from libsyn and things look good. I have a suspicion that I am missing something or haven't adjusted the settings more. Is anyone else using this method and if so are there any settings I need to tweak further. Do I need to add anything since Libsyn posts our stuff on iTunes?

andrewzarian
08-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Feedburner.. I have seen some people say that feedburner isn't needed if you are using Powerpress but you may want to consider it if you ever want to change your RSS. You may one day leave Wordpress and Libsyn. Feedburner makes it easy for you to leave and just submit a news RSS to it

MyTakeRadio
08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I use Feedburner with the RSS for mytakeradio.com. I can use both without issue right. Just feel its way too easy lol

podcastcoach
08-13-2012, 06:29 AM
You can easily redirect an RSS feed using PowerPress the same way you can in Feedburner. If you want to use Feedburner for the email capability, then enter the iTunes info in PowerPress and turn off the SmartCast options in Feedburner.

To answer your original question, you are headed in the right direction. I did this in a seminar I was speaking at this week and the audience was like, "You're kidding me - it can't be that easy.."

andrewzarian
08-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Hey Dave,

I actually have to turn off the smartcast for our feeds. My other question is what if someone leaves Wordpress? What do they do then ?

podcastcoach
08-13-2012, 06:45 AM
You go into PowerPress and use the tool to redirect your feed (to wherever you are going). In this video I show you how Libsyn has this feature, feedburner has this feature, and so does PowerPress.
http://youtu.be/TdQrKhjF7IY?t=4m4s

erictimmer
09-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I think the biggest issue for most people comes when they have a feed already in iTunes with lots of subscribers and they want to change that. It takes an act of god to get iTunes to change your feed, if they will do it at all. This is why most people like the Feedburner option. That way, as Andrew says, you can move wherever you want.

DonPez
11-01-2013, 03:27 PM
After watching your you tube video it now make sense. I have word press and the power press plugin. still looking at the feed burner option.

erictimmer
11-02-2013, 07:14 AM
You really don't need Wordpress or PowerPress at all, though it makes it easier. Feedburner will pick up any media file from the page. I use the HTML5 audio tag with a download link under the player and Feedburner gladly parses it for iTunes. The negative side of Feedburner is that if Google ever shuts it down.....we will have to scramble to figure out a solution to replace it, or just manage your own feeds.

You are correct it's not that difficult. With a plugin or without, it's pretty straight forward.

TommySulivan
11-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Powerpress is a great tool but it is not needed. If you are using a wordpress site I would suggest using it. Makes life a lot easier

DonPez
11-03-2013, 09:41 AM
You really don't need Wordpress or PowerPress at all, though it makes it easier. Feedburner will pick up any media file from the page. I use the HTML5 audio tag with a download link under the player and Feedburner gladly parses it for iTunes. The negative side of Feedburner is that if Google ever shuts it down.....we will have to scramble to figure out a solution to replace it, or just manage your own feeds.

You are correct it's not that difficult. With a plugin or without, it's pretty straight forward.

Not a programmer i"ll check out HTML5 audio tag

podcastcoach
11-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Respectfully to others, I say stay the heck away from freedburner. It was a great solution NINE YEARS AGO, but it is dead on the vine. PowerPress+Wordpress is the best solution.

sunkast
11-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Respectfully to others, I say stay the heck away from freedburner. It was a great solution NINE YEARS AGO, but it is dead on the vine. PowerPress+Wordpress is the best solution.

There are scenarios where Feedburner makes a lot of sense. For example let's say somebody uses a service to host their videos and the service also provides an iTunes compatible RSS feed. If the service doesn't give you a direct link to the video you cannot create your own RSS feed. And if you should ever need to change details of the feed or the location, you're usually SOL since the service more than likely doesn't have a way to tell iTunes the new location.