PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Podcast Bad.

andrewzarian
08-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I had an interesting discussion with IAIB Member Mike Phillips this morning about Podcasting and what makes one bad. Of course it comes down to good content but what is the first thing you notice with a bad podcast. For me its Audio. I can not tell you how many shows I have listened to that are on Blog Talk Radio. As soon as I hear the " Blog Talk Radio" lady at the start I turn it off.

podcastcoach
08-05-2012, 06:20 AM
The quick answer is "Blog talk radio." yes its easy, but the audio quality is awful. For me, I am more likely to sit through bad cntent with good audio than I am good content with bad audio.

The other thing is sticking to the topic. I onced tuned into a podcast where the host took 17 minutes to get the the topic. I learned about their kids, their hatred of a certain singer, etc.

Here is a favorite of mine: the person who started the podcast and said, "It will be an hour long podcast done on a weekly basis." Then they find out that 60 minutes is a LONG time to fill. They have 22 minutes of good content, and then fill it with 38 minutes of talk (typically about themselves). A podcast should be as long as it takes to cover your subject(s) and not a minute more.

Lastly the person who is reading their podcast, and sounds like they are reading their podcast.

jamesdelfresco
08-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Yes I agree Dave. Quality goes a very very long way. thats is why I am wiating to publish my show until I am ready.

podcastcoach
08-06-2012, 06:31 AM
That's great to hear, but don't have paralysis by analysis. All you need is "listenable" quality. You can always get a better mic later. Although the Audio Technica 2100 (http://www.schoolofpodcasting.com/2100) delivers great audio at a $49 price tag. The bonus is its also USB and XLR (so you can grow into it). Another alternative is to use the Zoom H1 (http://schoolofpodcasting.com/h1) in a quiet room (it is a portable recorder with condensor microphones). The H1 also acts as a USB interface. Then later if you move to a mixer with mics setup, you can record into the recorder (so you original investment doesn't go to waste).

MyTakeRadio
08-06-2012, 12:00 PM
The Blog Talk Radio issue seems to be a major gripe but as a BTR user I only utilize its call in feature,chat and switchboard. My audio for iTunes, our app and everything else comes off our external recorder. I then edit and distribute that audio. I also replace the BTR recording with my higher quality recording. Its about making adjustments and making tools work the way you need them to. Bad shows to me are shows that sound like anything else out there. If you can't strive to not sound like everyone else it will be hard for people to stay engaged. "Reading" your podcast is definitely not a good move. I've caught myself once or twice doing that. Practice helps break that habit.

podcastcoach
08-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Did you let Blog Talk Radio "Help You" by having them submit your feed to iTunes?

MyTakeRadio
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Dave,
This not my first rodeo lol. I would never in a million years let them touch my iTunes with their audio. My 96k feed for iTunes is from libsyn. That clean audio is what goes to my app and everything else. I utilize BTR only for the switchboard/ call screening and that's it.