PDA

View Full Version : Will this computer work

William Thomas
08-02-2012, 10:02 AM
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dxdwps3&model_id=xps-8500&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

will the above computer work with some after market changes...ie...750w power supply osprey 440. and of course Vidblaster?

last question for today...

thanks

bill

washproof
08-02-2012, 12:23 PM
It will work and be a very good PC for a few years to come, but as for future proof? hard to say without knowing what motherboard is in there, my bet is that they have one of their own proprietary boards, I'v had a Dell or two in my time (still have an XPS 420 desktop) and always found their boards were very limited in scope in regards to upgrades, the Dell cases I'v run into in the past has been a nightmare when trying to find compatible hardware for upgrades.

My advice? don't buy desktops from Dell, find an independent system builder or a friend who knows what they are doing, and have them build you a bespoke system, you will know exactly whats in it and it will be totally upgradeable down the road...

better still build a PC that can dual boot both Windows and OSX, two birds with one stone :p

hope that helps, Wash.

William Thomas
08-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey Washproof,

Sorry i am confused you say it will be a good computer for years to come then say " but as for future proof?" which lost me completely. Could you please explain. Well The thing is dell offers financing as well. Theres always a catch. So it will be a dell.

Thanks for clearing up the above...

Bill

washproof
08-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Sorry to confuse, Take my Dell XPS 420, its now around 4 years old and is well overdue for upgrades, but due to its limited scope I will soon have to buy a new 2nd system to keep up with modern hardware requirements, so as long as the hardware lasts (I say that cos my XPS 1530 laptop failed after only 3 years!) you should be able to get 4-6 years out of it maybe.

I also have a custom built tower that I originally bought about 4 years ago, I kept on upgrading over the years bit by bit, 6 months ago I upgraded the MB, CPU & RAM, last month I put in a new 750w PSU, in the next month or so I will be putting in a new GFX card and cooling. So because I can just about stick any old piece of kit in there and its flexibility I can see it going on and on in terms of life span, for that reason I just prefer my custom tower to the XPS.

I guess the financing deals the big manufactures offer is a big draw, never used its myself but can see how it would be handy to spread out the cost as new systems can give a big hit to the purse.

Wash

Amnon
08-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi William.
This Dell look really nice, but it is twice as much as I would pay :-) I just upgraded my quad core that I have been using for two years ($200 on ebay, with one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-xw8600-Dual-Xeon-E5430-Quad-Core-2-66GHz-16GB-1TB-DVDRW-Windows-7-Pro-64bit-/150836750106?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item231e92271a ($500) which will serve me very good for a couple of years.

William Thomas
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks amnon but you guys always confuse me...you say 2 years ago you got a quad core on ebay for 200...wow..what a deal..and then you showed me a link to a computer that says buy it now for almost 800 and you got if for 500????

i have to buy a dell...they provide credit...CREDIT!!! for those of you who do not use it....well lucky you...I have no credit cards...i have one account...Dell....i do have a debit card though....no credit cards since 2002 when i retired...

So you can be sure that all of you can get a better deal than a dell...Dell is for peeps like me i guess...You geeky guys with lots of money can buy your own parts and build a super duper water cooled dipsy doodle computer...

anyways..was really just wanting to know if the computer i picked would work with a osprey 440 card and an upgraded power supply??? wasnt really looking for other options...sorry if i confused everyone...

Thanks

Bill

Amnon
08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
I didn't even notice the price, sorry. I got one for 500, and you see them there all the time for these prices. The good thing about these HP's is that they are REALLY solid. I ran it on the bench next to an i7 3770 (I think it was) and they were neck in neck, and in some tests the Xeon was actually faster. There are some Dells there too for a good price, but if you need to make payments, I guess you have to go with someone who will let you do that. Come to think of it, on eBay/PayPal you can use 'Bill Me Later', did you try that?