PDA

View Full Version : Switching Broadcast Without Going Offline

robistech
07-30-2012, 11:22 PM
This may seem like an odd question, but I know someone might have a solution. To give you a little context, I use Wirecast as the switcher for all my shows. I also use Wirecast Toolbox to map keys for specific shots. Because of all the different shot types for different shows, each show is saved as a Wirecast template, so before I start streaming a show, I need to reload the Wirecast template for the given show.The issue that I have is that each time I do this, obviously Wirecast has to stop broadcasting, therefore kicking off all the live viewers. This wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that when I load the new template and go live again, Ustream starts to play an ad to everyone watching.

I know that Ustream used to have the ability to stream over your broadcast. So for example, I would be broadcasting from Wirecast and I go live on another system. Ustream would give me the option to stream over the other stream. This would allow me to switch to another cam, load in the new Wirecast template, and return all while remaining live. I've checked over and over and I can't find this feature anymore. So does anyone know of a work around? Thanks!

Note: I have another computer with a cam I can stream from besides Wirceast if needed.

Amnon
07-31-2012, 04:55 AM
If you use FMLE to stream, you could close WC reopen it, do what you need to do, and start again, and your stream will not stop. I had to do that with VB when it locked up, and it works like a charm.

andrewzarian
07-31-2012, 05:11 AM
We use a different computer for encoding. Vidblaster is our switcher and Wirecast runs as the encoder.

JaseRossi
07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I use Wirecast Toolbox and I didn't have to close out Wirecast to change shows. I made a template for each show and would just load up the template for which ever show I was doing in Wirecast Toolbox.

I had all the camera shots, lower thirds and graphics for each show on the same template in Wirecast. I just used the layers to keep things organized.

Layer 1: All Camera Shots / DTP Shots
Layer 2: Lower Thirds for each show
Layer 3: Graphics, Videos for each Show

ETC

robistech
07-31-2012, 08:33 PM
I use Wirecast Toolbox and I didn't have to close out Wirecast to change shows. I made a template for each show and would just load up the template for which ever show I was doing in Wirecast Toolbox.

I had all the camera shots, lower thirds and graphics for each show on the same template in Wirecast. I just used the layers to keep things organized.

Layer 1: All Camera Shots / DTP Shots
Layer 2: Lower Thirds for each show
Layer 3: Graphics, Videos for each Show

ETC

I use WC Toolbox as well, but one of my main reasons for switching profiles is for re-runs. I need to switch to a profile without my cameras, because when I turn them off and then back on the next day, I have to re-open Wirecast to get the cams recognized again.

notstr8tv
08-01-2012, 11:08 PM
What I do is have a second computer set up as a master control switcher, running XSplit. In XSplit, I have a video playlist set up to run reruns, a test slide, a technical difficulties slide, and a source in XSplit that takes what I'm broadcasting on a VGA monitor on my switching machine (running Wirecast), converted to Svideo with a VGA scan converter, and then input into the machine using an Ezcap 116 capture card. It's not a perfect solution since I get interlace lines on the live stream video when we're live, but it works. This way, if Wirecast crashes, I can switch to the technical difficulties slide by clicking on one button until I can get the machine rebooted. Also, by offloading the live stream rendering to another machine, I've reduced the CPU usage in Wirecast on my switching computer down to less than 50 percent.

One solution I'm going to try soon to improve the live stream quality is the Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD (http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=503) PCIe card so I can input the VGA signal directly and not have to convert it into an interlaced format. It also has an HDMI input as well so I plan on using that eventually when I upgrade the switching computer.

robistech
08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
What I do is have a second computer set up as a master control switcher, running XSplit. In XSplit, I have a video playlist set up to run reruns, a test slide, a technical difficulties slide, and a source in XSplit that takes what I'm broadcasting on a VGA monitor on my switching machine (running Wirecast), converted to Svideo with a VGA scan converter, and then input into the machine using an Ezcap 116 capture card. It's not a perfect solution since I get interlace lines on the live stream video when we're live, but it works. This way, if Wirecast crashes, I can switch to the technical difficulties slide by clicking on one button until I can get the machine rebooted. Also, by offloading the live stream rendering to another machine, I've reduced the CPU usage in Wirecast on my switching computer down to less than 50 percent.

One solution I'm going to try soon to improve the live stream quality is the Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD (http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=503) PCIe card so I can input the VGA signal directly and not have to convert it into an interlaced format. It also has an HDMI input as well so I plan on using that eventually when I upgrade the switching computer.

Thanks for the reply. I also thought about doing it this way, but like you said, the video quality was way worse than if I just broadcast straight from WC. I think the correct solution would be going HDMI out of the WC machine, and then HDMI on the streaming machine. The problem is that method can be pricey. Anyone have any other ideas?

Linuxcooldude
08-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I have two different shows as a single template. For you it might be too hard integrating everything together.

Try putting second show on a separate master layer as to keep both shows separate, then switch to the second master layer once your ready to start second show without having to switch templates.