PDA

View Full Version : Why does Youtube remove my video

jamesdelfresco
07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Just wondering how google determines what video is violating copyright. I see so many people on there with stuff that is not theres. Why does it work for some and not for others?

sunkast
07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Most of it is through content ID matching, which is completely automated. Basically a copyright holder uploads whatever material they claim ownership of to YouTube for reference. YouTube takes the material and creates a content ID, or thumbnail to check against all videos that are uploaded.

It's not a perfect system as it can produce false positives. Copyright holders can be overly aggressive in policing their work. There have been many of us who have had something in our video that we use fairly but is flagged because its an automated system.

Also it can take YouTube's system a day or so to match the content ID. It's not immediate. There's been plenty of times that I've uploaded a video and it wasn't until I checked back a day or 2 later to see it had been flagged.

Copyright holders have multiple options of what action to take when a video is matched. They can choose to simply monetize the video by placing ads. Have it completely removed. Or simply flag it.