PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Shutting Down 5o Big Box US Stores By 2013

andrewzarian
03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Still driving to your local Best Buy to fondle all the latest gadgets before swiping your card, or hopping to the web to pull the trigger? That tradition could be short-lived, if you happen to live near one of 50 big box retail stores that the company plans to shutter in 2013. The move was announced alongside Best Buy's Q4 earnings report, which includes action items aimed to trim $800 million in costs by 2015. The closings will no-doubt come along with staffer reductions, some of whom could be transferred to one of 100 Best Buy Mobile "small format stand-alone stores" set to launch next year. While an unfortunate move for some customers and employees, it does show some foresight on behalf of BBY management, who likely recognize a continuing shift to online purchasing, and a greater emphasis on mobile devices, which require significantly smaller showrooms, cost less to ship and could offer greater margins to boot.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/29/best-buy-to-close-50-stores/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

BradShoemaker
03-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Only a matter of time before they start becoming the Blockbuster of electronics stores. My favorite electronics store, around here anyway, is Fry's. They have EVERYTHING. Components and Manufactured PCs. It's like combining a local Computer shop with Best Buy, Radioshack, and Borders (well the tech section anyway).

Spencer Kobren
03-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Only a matter of time before they start becoming the Blockbuster of electronics stores. My favorite electronics store, around here anyway, is Fry's. They have EVERYTHING. Components and Manufactured PCs. It's like combining a local Computer shop with Best Buy, Radioshack, and Borders (well the tech section anyway).

I never have luck at Frys...The staff doesn’t seem to know much about anything. However, if you need zip ties or either net cables in a pinch, they're pretty well stocked.

RadarGaming
03-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Truthfully, I feel these electronic stores will all sell out and amazon will be there. First the selection in stores can be low and then you end up driving to four different stores to get what you need. Amazon needs to really take over this business.

Spencer Kobren
03-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Truthfully, I feel these electronic stores will all sell out and amazon will be there. First the selection in stores can be low and then you end up driving to four different stores to get what you need. Amazon needs to really take over this business.

It’s only a matter of time...Eventually most of the brick and mortar stores will be forced to shut their doors. It’s kind of sad, but that’s the way most retail business is evolving.

BradShoemaker
03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
It’s only a matter of time...Eventually most of the brick and mortar stores will be forced to shut their doors. It’s kind of sad, but that’s the way most retail business is evolving.

Agreed. The only reason Fry's works so well for me is because it's close, but considering there is only one store in the entire Indianapolis area, I wouldn't travel there if it weren't so close.

All my big purchases I make at Amazon or other online retailers. I do enjoy them for the small stuff and when I need things in a pinch.

That will be what is missed when Brick and Mortar stores are gone... needing that quick fix to get you through. Every emergency will need to be accounted for and pre planned.