PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your Video Podcast

andrewzarian
07-29-2012, 08:09 PM
What type of backup/ Storage do you guys do? Since going to HD we are running out of space at a rapid rate. Each show is between 10 and 15 gigs. We started deleting the Raw Copies of our older shows as they are no longer needed.

What are some solutions / Methods you have implemented ?

Amnon
07-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I put all of mine on DVD for safe keeping (just in case) but other than that, Bambuser stores all the shows.

Donovan
07-30-2012, 12:20 PM
I haven't really give it much thought since my files are stored on Amazon's S3/CloudFront for delivering to listeners. I rarely keep any of the actual raw audio or video around for very long. I do, however, keep copies on a hard drive, but I figure if it goes, I have the copies on AWS.

It's probably not the best strategy, I'm sure. :)

BradShoemaker
07-30-2012, 01:01 PM
I have 2 HDDs that store it all. I have the Raw multitrack files, raw video, etc from each of the shows we have done. The HDDs are mirrored. I will eventually move them to SSDs.

I also use Amazon S3, therefore I have all the shows backed up off site that way.

andrewzarian
07-30-2012, 06:18 PM
What is the pricing for a Amazon S3 server? might be a good idea to put my files on there

Donovan
07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
They have a FAQ page (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/) that shows the various costs, but here's a snapshot of my charges for June 2012. The majority of my costs are due to transfers and not storage.

http://shows.anairo.com/AWSInvoice.png

andrewzarian
07-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Thanks Donovan for that info. Sunkast and I are going to be looking into this today. Amazon might be the best solution to store our shows.

BradShoemaker
07-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks Donovan for that info. Sunkast and I are going to be looking into this today. Amazon might be the best solution to store our shows.

They are super cheap and as Donovan said, most of the cost comes from transfers. It takes a huge load off your servers.

sidimustafa
07-31-2012, 07:29 AM
They are super cheap and as Donovan said, most of the cost comes from transfers. It takes a huge load off your servers.

AWS sounds great but if your start doing the maths you are talking around +/- 200.00$ per year...
plus you still have the time factor to retrieve it..

Now taking into consideration that the cost of disk are not so expensive, and most of the final edited videos are stored at vimeo, blip.tv, youtube etc..etc, your only major protection is your Raw footage in the event you need it to re-edit something or so.

Raw Videos tends to be large...so that will cost u the transfer cost mostly.
So taking that same 200.00 in Donavon's case...one can purchase 2x Buffalo NAS or any other name brand, i think you can get up to 2TB...

Place one at home, and the other at the office, those devices can do automatically RSYNC backup from one to the other, so your storage is double protected......

and right next to you in the event of loosing the master, and no neeed to pay transfer fees again to re-download

food for thought..

BradShoemaker
07-31-2012, 07:42 AM
It depends on what you are trying to do. I have Amazon S3 linked into my sites to serve the audio. I use YouTube (currently) for videos, but audio is served via S3. My audio files are between 80-120MB. It takes a load off of my traditional server which charges more for storage than Amazon S3 does. So if you just want to store audio for backup, maybe not for you, but if you want to serve audio and video...while using it as your backup, it works very well and the cost is worth it.

Donovan
07-31-2012, 01:00 PM
It depends on what you are trying to do. I have Amazon S3 linked into my sites to serve the audio. I use YouTube (currently) for videos, but audio is served via S3. My audio files are between 80-120MB. It takes a load off of my traditional server which charges more for storage than Amazon S3 does. So if you just want to store audio for backup, maybe not for you, but if you want to serve audio and video...while using it as your backup, it works very well and the cost is worth it.

I pretty much do the same - serve up the audio via S3/CloudFront. That way it serves two purposes. :)