PDA

View Full Version : Google Fiber Upping the Ante

BradShoemaker
07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Verizon FiOS has certainly made me jealous considering Comcast is the best I can seemingly do around here, but the announcement of Google Fiber finally making it's way to the test city of Kansas City (both KA and MO) has me wishing I was a Chief's and Royals fan.

1,000Mb/Second would be extremely nice. Guessing the upload speeds will also be better than anyone else is offering currently.

The price is also unmatched at $70/month for internet and $120/month for Internet + TV.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/26/google-fiber/

Too bad we're probably looking at 5 years+ before this rolls out to the majority of us. When it does... sign me up.

JaseRossi
07-26-2012, 11:51 AM
$120 bucks for fiber + tv

SIGN ME UP!

1gigabit download and 1gigabit upload *DROOL*

I live in Oklahoma and I might move if they don't come down here. I would kill to pay $120 a month for internet and TV. I pay $215 and get nothing close to that :(

Come on GOOGLE! Get to it!

BradShoemaker
07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
I would gladly pay the $215 you are if I could just get the internet speeds...let alone $120 for the entire package.

andrewzarian
07-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Those are insane speeds. I wonder how long it will take google to fully deploy the service across the country. 5-7 years?

JaseRossi
07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I would gladly pay the $215 you are if I could just get the internet speeds...let alone $120 for the entire package.

I would pay $215 for insane speeds. I am paying $54.99 a month for 20meg down and 3 meg up :( That isn't even including my TV service. Which is a joke for the money. Damn you COX!!

JaseRossi
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Those are insane speeds. I wonder how long it will take google to fully deploy the service across the country. 5-7 years?

I am looking to move in the next year or so and I am moving to some damn state that has fiber! I don't care where lol

mcphillips
07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
At one point, Google was partnering with municipalities to provide expanded services. Time Warner lobbied for and had a law passed in our state that makes it illegal for municipalities to provide broadband services.

BradShoemaker
07-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Its insane to think that Government can hold back innovation like this. I know they do all the time, but still. It is certainly a shame.

I know that here in Indianapolis, we have Comcast and Brighthouse, but you can't choose which one you get. Like Water and Power, the city deems those companies as a utility. Therefore each one has their own mapped areas. To add complexity to it, we can obviously get AT&T anywhere they are available (as well as either Sat service). I am hopeful when Google finally comes to town, it will be a lot like AT&T and free to get up and running wherever they want. Competition is key and right now there is no competition... and our Internet speeds are horrible.

sunkast
07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I'd gladly pay $70/mo for 100mbps down and up let alone 1gig. I was just looking at upgrading my tier this week but at $87/mo for 30 down, 4 up. That's on the expensive side in my opinion. To make things worse, Comcast just announced they are doubling their Blast and Extreme 50 tiers for the Northeast region. Except I don't live in that region, nor do I have that tier... I'd have to pay $87/mo.

I think for those of us that are doing video broadcasts, Google's new fiber network at 1Gbps down/up would be a blessing.

RichardCleveland
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Can you send that to Canada...

Donovan
07-27-2012, 09:49 AM
At one point, Google was partnering with municipalities to provide expanded services. Time Warner lobbied for and had a law passed in our state that makes it illegal for municipalities to provide broadband services.

I had mixed feelings on munis getting in to the business, simply because I worked for one. I understood the notion of government not competing with private enterprise. But the issue was private enterprise wasn't bringing the services and technologies that the City of Tifton needed to compete in providing a place that businesses wanted to locate. If the City of Tifton had not invested into broadband technologies, the Tifton I know today wouldn't exist and would be behind several years in regards to broadband services offered.

jamesdelfresco
07-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I would give my arm for this !

BradShoemaker
09-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Great article: http://business.time.com/2012/09/14/with-google-fiber-search-giant-issues-public-challenge-get-up-to-speed/

jamesdelfresco
09-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Wondering when and if they will start spreading out to the rest of the country

PaulSaunders
02-26-2014, 08:17 PM
How excited is the new google fiber rollout? I know a lot of people in NC are happy with the news

BradShoemaker
02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
How excited is the new google fiber rollout? I know a lot of people in NC are happy with the news

Anyone on the list must be ecstatic... provided the Governments work with Google and get the necessary steps done... It seems as if there are still several hoops to jump through to be chosen in the next several rollouts. This is depressing news for me as I sit here looking at my options of AT&T and Comcast here in Indianapolis.

I found out today that a couple of years ago Indiana repealed the law giving out territories and that, according to my Comcast rep, Brighthouse and Comcast choose not to go after each others territories. They kept the boundary lines and won't cross them out of professional courtesy, thus keeping Indy divided with no reason to be competitive, thus keeping prices high and speeds low.