PDA

View Full Version : Why is Skype the best Voip service for Podcasting?

andrewzarian
07-25-2012, 01:26 PM
I think we can all agree that Skype is the best software when it comes to Video/Audio conferencing but what makes it so good? Is there anyone out that comes close to Skypes Audio Quality? and why havnt we seen anyone come up with a better software?

TomSinclair
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM
There are others that work?

andrewzarian
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
there are a few out there but non really come close. I still dont understand why someone has come out with a premium service

mcphillips
07-25-2012, 06:18 PM
It's all about the money. There are premium services, like Polycom, but they are very expensive.

andrewzarian
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Im really hoping Microsoft announces a new service that will compete with Go to meeting or any of the other companies out on the market

Donovan
07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
I still prefer using Mumble for my audio. It doesn't do video, of course, but the tweaking you can do to its audio codec makes it superior to Skype's audio. That's just my opinion, though. Too many times Skype would go all "robotic" on me, which Mumble has only done maybe once or twice.

andrewzarian
07-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Im not too familiar with Mumble. Can you explain what it is?

Donovan
07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Im not too familiar with Mumble. Can you explain what it is?

Mumble is a VoIP client-server style application, much in the same vain as TeamSpeak and Ventrillo. These programs are generally used by gamers so they can easily communicate while playing games such as World of Warcraft, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumble_(software)

You can run your own server, which makes the entire experience free. However, I have found that I like the stability of paying for a server. I pay $6/month for a 15 slot server.

The downside to using something like Mumble is the fact that it is not as ubiquitous as Skype is; meaning that more people will have Skype installed and know how to use it than Mumble. However, anyone that has any bit of technical know-how will be able to install and use Mumble.

:)

talksabouttech
07-28-2012, 04:54 AM
I think no one has come out with a cheaper premium service because they wouldn't be able to make enough money out of it. Internet broadcasting is a relatively small market if you compare it to skypes market of millions of people.

Spencer Kobren
07-28-2012, 10:34 PM
It's all about the money. There are premium services, like Polycom, but they are very expensive.

Now I’m curious Mike...What’s the cost and why is is better than Skype?

jamesdelfresco
08-03-2012, 05:38 PM
why isnt there anything better then Skype? I mean cant yahoo or microsoft make something better?

Dahalabit
08-11-2012, 07:28 PM
What ever happened to that company Gizmo5??

erictimmer
09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Google bought them, right?

Dahalabit
09-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Yea It seems that way I have always wondered why we have not seen a google skype killer?

NASNTrevor
09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately Skype is the best Voip service at the moment. Been working with it for some time now, despite being approached by google for live broadcasts, Hangouts has yet to match Skype's audio quality. That said, there are few hours that go by without having skype issues on our broadcasts, would love a great alternative.

andrewzarian
09-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Im personally really surprised we have not seen a "Premium" or pay service that offers high quality video and audio that can match Skype.

NASNTrevor
09-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Im personally really surprised we have not seen a "Premium" or pay service that offers high quality video and audio that can match Skype.

Given that most of the better video services are packaged in with other products (Go To Meeting, Skype, Google Hangouts) not too surprised. Although I do think there is an opportunity to fill a space between Skype premium and something like Cisco Telepresence.

Would think smaller-mid sized broadcasters would pay a fair monthly fee to have reliable remote audio and video, without the use of now ancient technologies like ISDN.

Dahalabit
09-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I tried go to meeting a few weeks ago and dont think its better then skype. I was hoping Gizmo5 would have been something..

NASNTrevor
09-12-2012, 07:14 PM
I tried go to meeting a few weeks ago and dont think its better then skype. I was hoping Gizmo5 would have been something..

Was that the "HD Faces" feature? I've tested google hangouts a lot, still not quite there on the video side either. Can't layout and frame shots like you can with Skype (I use Wirecast) and it seems to refocus each shot whenever you switch shots on guests, irritating on longer programs.

mcphillips
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Have you tried a zoom.us video meeting?

andrewzarian
09-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I like Zoom.us but I dont think the audio is at the level of Skype

jennas
02-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Skype is cheap and popular. Its services are very satisfying. Small to medium businesses can easily avail Skype services for communication through their business and externally as well. Recently i have read a post regarding VOIP and it was very informative. The link is as follows:
http://www.corecom.ie/utilities/case-studies.php

TommySulivan
10-06-2013, 12:57 PM
has anyone here used facetime for podcasting? what were your results

Dan Ortego
10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I've often wondered the same thing. I think a lot of people use Skype, because a lot of people use Skype. Even so, I can seldom watch anything live on Skype that doesn't stutter every 3 to 5 seconds when there is 3-4 people are on a show. I have what I believe is an above average Internet cable downstream of a nominal 18~20mb.

techzentv
10-07-2013, 08:27 AM
With facetime you cannot remove or shrink the small video window of what you are sending back. Other than that and maybe the fact that not everyone has access to facetime. I agree the quality of facetime seems so much better.

Podnutter
10-09-2013, 07:39 PM
I have used facetime with one guest. it was very good. We only did audio

ronknights
11-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Skype is owned by Microsoft! Do you know anyone who uses Facetime on a regular basis?! I think Apple failed with that product.

Dan Ortego
11-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Skype is cheap and popular. Its services are very satisfying. Small to medium businesses can easily avail Skype services for communication through their business and externally as well. Recently i have read a post regarding VOIP and it was very informative. The link is as follows:
http://www.corecom.ie/utilities/case-studies.php

The link takes me to "sorry..."

Dan Ortego
11-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Skype is owned by Microsoft! Do you know anyone who uses Facetime on a regular basis?! I think Apple failed with that product.

I believe that FaceTime is just waiting around for the Apple television set. I almost look at it as a beta version of what's to come so I'm not sure if it's really dead. Even so, I don't think that it's going to ever be what Skype is today, albeit Apple continues to build data centers around the country.