PDA

View Full Version : Best Mixer for Podcasting

andrewzarian
07-23-2012, 12:47 PM
there have been a few threads on here on Mixer suggestions so I thought it might be interesting to see what you guys think is the overall best mixer for Podcasting. I am a big fan of the Mackie 1402vlz3 due to the quality of the mixer. Very well built.

What do you guys think is the best Mixer for Podcasting and why?

mcphillips
07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Presonus 16.4.2, because I said so.

Seriously, this mixer is amazing in terms of its capabilities. At $2000, it's still considered an inexpensive mixer, and it's difficult to get used to because it's digital, but mix-minus issues become a thing of the past once you learn how to set them up.

Mackie makes great low-end mixers. If I were going to buy one, I'd consider the 1640i, but by the time you pay $1600, you might was well put another $400 with it and get the Presonus.

I have had no serious issues with Behringer mixers. They are cheap and cheaply made, but they work great.

Here's the good news. I challenge anyone to tell the difference in the quality of the audio over the Internet or Skype when comparing a Behringer mixer with a Presonus or even an SSL. The cheapest mixer is capable of producing better quality audio than the Internet or Skype is able to reproduce.

BradShoemaker
07-23-2012, 06:52 PM
I started looking at the Presonus, in part because of Mike David's recommendation, but also because a few people I know have said nothing but good things about them. Nice to know that it passes the McPhillips test.

mcphillips
07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Well, thanks for that, but keep in mind that digital mixing is very different from analog mixing. If you decide to buy one, I'm happy to help you set it up. It has many more features than you will need, but it has ALL the features you should need.

I'm not totally convinced that I have seen one set up optimally for Internet broadcasting, particularly as it relates to mix-minus. Time will tell.

BradShoemaker
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Over the last several years of my radio career, I have gotten used to the digital boards. The Harris Digital Consoles were installed into our building around 2004. Granted those things are waaaay out of the league of what we need nor are they close to the same as the Presonus, but I have definitely had some training on the digital boards and what makes them tick. I have a few engineer friends who are local and have experience as well who can help me work on the settings if I were to grab a Presonus.

William Thomas
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Obviously I am on the wrong forum. I know quite a few people that do this now and i havent talked with anyone using a 2k mixer. But maybe i am confused. You cant be talking about an audio mixer like 8-12 channels usb connection ????? I have an alesis 8 channel i bought for a buck fifty (thats 150.00) from ebay and it works great. Not sure what you would need besides this. But there are prices for every pocketbook thats for sure.

Good Luck,

Bill

RichardCleveland
07-24-2012, 08:35 PM
That is a loaded question. I currently use a Behringer Xenyx X1622USB mixer, however I have plans to upgrade my equipment in stages. We all have to start somewhere. I currently am on the fence with upgrading to either a Mackie Onyx mixer or Presonus Studio Live. My only reason for upgrading to the Presonus would be to get a true digital board and eliminate hardware in my audio chain. Do I need it? No not really. But i wouldn't have to upgrade for years to come and it will handle everything i will be throwing at it as my studio grows.

Thanks

BradShoemaker
07-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Obviously I am on the wrong forum. I know quite a few people that do this now and i havent talked with anyone using a 2k mixer. But maybe i am confused. You cant be talking about an audio mixer like 8-12 channels usb connection ????? I have an alesis 8 channel i bought for a buck fifty (thats 150.00) from ebay and it works great. Not sure what you would need besides this. But there are prices for every pocketbook thats for sure.

Good Luck,

Bill

You aren't in the wrong forum at all. This is a place for people of all levels of broadcasting. Those that have to boot strap it (like many of us do when starting up) and those who have the means to get a bit more expensive equipment. I think mcphillips said it best...

Here's the good news. I challenge anyone to tell the difference in the quality of the audio over the Internet or Skype when comparing a Behringer mixer with a Presonus or even an SSL. The cheapest mixer is capable of producing better quality audio than the Internet or Skype is able to reproduce.

andrewzarian
07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
The Presonus 16.4.2 is not expensive if you factor in everything that it does. I know a few people that use this Mixer and they have never looked back. Example of what it does EQ, compression, limiting, and gating on every channel, and there are DSP effects built-in. Save your settings for instant recall. Plus, Capture recording software is included with every StudioLive console.

mcphillips
07-25-2012, 06:17 PM
William, the only reason to spend $2,000 on a mixer is to get functionality that a lesser priced mixer cannot provide. For example, how many auxiliary sends does your mixer have? You need one (post fader) aux send per mix-minus. You need one mix-minus per Skype computer. So, if you do a Skypezilla arrangement like Leo Laporte, you need four aux sends just for Skype computers. Joe de Max has the same set up. There are many other features on the 16.4.2 that justify its $2,000 price tag.

I'm not being snippy when I ask, what car do you drive? You can get a $1,000 Ford Taurus that will get you every place your present car will get you.

If your present mixer does what you need, there is NO reason to upgrade. However, if you spend $150 on a mixer, then upgrade to a $300 mixer, then upgrade to a $1000 mixer, then upgrade to a $1600 mixer, you would have been better off to spend $2,000 and get one that did not need to be upgraded as often (or ever.)

Price is relative. Someone on a podcast recently said, "Until recently, I thought $30 was expensive for a microphone." Well, I had a Neumann U47 long body, chrome top condenser microphone that I sold for $6,000. And as I said before, you would not be able to tell the difference over Skype or the Internet between the $6,000 Neumann and a $150 Apex 460.

William Thomas
07-25-2012, 06:31 PM
i get ya on the mixer. I was being silly. However a mixer that works with podcasting that costs 2k is not only not necessary its overkill. Mix minus is also a think of the past. I am a newbie at this as you know, and i drive a Dodge Durango to get onto the beaches at the north end of carolina beach so i need 4 wheel drive. lol....

I guess i am just jeleous cause i am on ssi and dont have access to that kind of money for a hobby anymore.

Jeez 2k for a mixer....ok ok got it...

You all be good ya hear...

Bill

andrewzarian
07-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Also put into consideration all the extra equipment you have in the studio. If I were to add up the Mixer , EQ and Compressors we have I would be at around 1400 dollars.

mcphillips
07-25-2012, 06:46 PM
William, I am very interested in your statement, "Mix minus is a thing of the past." Please explain. I'm extremely intrigued!

andrewzarian
07-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I also have to disagree. Mix Minus is extremely necessary when taking phone calls or using skype

jamesdelfresco
07-25-2012, 08:13 PM
wow 2000 dollars for a mixer? I had no idea. Is there a big difference from a 100 dollar mixer and a 2000 dollar mixer? why would anyone in podasting need it? I mean I guess its cool if you are making money. But isnt it all the same in the end? Maybe im wrong

mcphillips
07-25-2012, 08:27 PM
The only reason to buy a $2000 mixer is because it will do what the $100 mixer will not do. Six aux sends, built-in compression/equalization/gating, and subgroups are several.

William Thomas
07-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Dont listen to me ...i am a newbie....i just dont use mix minus.....

mcphillips
07-26-2012, 04:34 AM
William, I can understand "i just dont use mix minus", but I don't understand the comment, "Mix minus is also a think of the past." It would be helpful to us all to understand why you consider mix minus to be a thing of the past. Most people don't even understand it yet.

podcastcoach
07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I attend a church that is using Windows 95 (not 98, not Me, not xp). Why? Because it does what they need it to do (print the bulletin). Buying a $2000 mixer is INSANE for podcasting. I've been using the same Behringer $60 mixer for seven years. As for recording skype, you can do away with mix minus. You can record skype with an external recorder and never have to worry about software messing it up. I have a video showing how to do this (http://youtu.be/BsAUgApgs6s).

People like the Mackie 1402vlz3 because it has channel inserts which people use for compressors.

BradShoemaker
07-26-2012, 10:32 AM
To say that buying a $2,000 mixer is INSANE is a bit of a stretch. People have different needs and uses for such equipment, as has been pointed out several times.

podcastcoach
07-26-2012, 10:47 AM
True. For the single podcaster, that would be a waste of money.

andrewzarian
07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Hey Dave! Great seeing you here

I agree with you on that. If you do 1 or two shows weekly I do not think its necessary to have a 2000 dollar mixer. Now in my case we have 20 different hosts and 13 different shows on our network Each time we start a show a show we need to adjust the levels for that person. With something like the Presonus we could program the settings for each of those broadcasters.

TommySulivan
10-06-2013, 12:55 PM
On the facebook internet broadcasting group I saw Joe De Max show his computer (software) based mixer. is this something worth looking into ?

techzentv
10-07-2013, 08:56 AM
If you have the hardware already, if you are looking for something that is solid in reliability and/or are not a tinkerer then stick to something physical. Joe posted in one of the other groups on here with the details. It is a great idea if you are comfortable with the recording studio firewire hardware and software.

docizzen
10-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Am I crazy? I've already got several iDevices and I'm looking seriously at the Mackie DL1608 Digital mixer with:

16 Onyx mic preamps
High-end Cirrus Logic® converters
Ultra low-noise, high-headroom design
6 aux sends for monitor mixes
Master L/R output for mains
Tons of Built-In Processing

Choice of powerful, touch-sensitive plug-ins
4-band EQ, gate and compression for each input
31-band GEQ and comp/limiter on each output
Global reverb and delay

Intuitive Master Fader™ app for all iPad models
My Fader™ app for quick control from iPhone or iPod touch
“Grow and Glow” visual feedback
Preset and snapshot recall
Record the mix to the iPad for instant sharing
Integrate music from any app into the mix

Compact footprint saves precious workspace
15.5″ x 11.5″ x 3.9″
7.9 lbs / 3.6 kg
Lightning and 30-pin versions available

I can connect everything to the interface, leave my iPad in it, if I choose, and it will charge or slide it out and use it remotely. In other words, slide the interface and cables completely across the room... out of my way and control the mix and episode with just an iPad, iPod in front of me. Note, the DSP is in the interface... the iPad is just a controller. Plus, my guests can control their mix with their iDevice. The darn thing even includes a dedicated channel for itunes. I spoke with one of their engineers and they are working on integrating their app with the "Audiobus" app, which opens tons of other doors for other audio apps on an iPad. It will even work with "Auria" a sweet 48 channel DAW made for the iPad. Somebody please tell me I'm loosing my marbles for considering this. I think I need an intervention from the "Pod Squad" McPhillips, Andrew, Sunkast, or Mike Myers because the sticker price on this is only $999. What say you?

To be fair, you should watch the podcast videos about this mixer under "DL Series Podcasts," (http://www.mackie.com/products/dlseries/media/) especially the 1st and 8th videos. The first shows the interface with I/O's and their oldest version of the iOS mixing app, the 8th shows their latest version of the Mixing app with it's coolest upgrades. Just say'n

8th Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOG4-J3qQY0

Yea... I've lost it

AlBurr
10-17-2013, 01:21 PM
LOL... I think you just summed up what I am going through... I am considering athe 16.4.2 Ai which is 2K...So "pod-squad" intervention may save two souls :)

docizzen
10-17-2013, 01:30 PM
LOL... two peas in a "Pod Squad"

andrewzarian
10-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Question what happens if your iPad breaks and apple is no longer selling that size

docizzen
10-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Makie has made dock adaptors for every ipad from 1 up, along with ipad mini, and they have replaceable connectors for both 30 pin and lightning.

andrewzarian
10-17-2013, 07:40 PM
I would personally stay away from anything that requires a 3rd party product. There are people using Mixers for 10 years. No one here can predict what an iPad will be like in 10 years.

docizzen
10-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Yea that's true. It does seem though, that we are rapidly reaching the precipice where digital will start to overtake analog and of course then there's IP on the horizon. Perhaps that will become more affordable for the home studio market one day. Its just, who wants the big bulky devices anymore? Thanks for your sage input Andrew!

techzentv
10-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree that relying on a 3rd party device to control your sound is dangerous. I have always had good luck with Mackie Gear though. It would appear that the iPad is just the control and communicates wirelessly so even if a device changes in the future I am sure they will have something. But what happens when the iPad suddenly drops wireless (mine does this all the time).

One other note, the Behringer has an iphone / ipad app that allows control of just a specific mix (subgroup). It takes longer to teach the person how to use and then they keep playing with it and complaining. If you don't give them access to control it they just deal with it and never complain.

docizzen
10-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Nothing changes, the iPad is just the controller. The DSP is in the mixer doing the work. You use your own wireless router along with the mixer, so losing signal really shouldn't happen unless you get too far away. I'll be within 20 feet of the mixer so odds are pretty low that this will happen. But, here's a live band setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7bvDcX0N8

Thank you too Mike and everyone else!

PaulSaunders
12-11-2013, 06:38 PM
So I have a small mixer but I want to get something a little bit better. I was wondering if there is a way to not use a mixer and just use something via software?

MovieBuff
12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
So I have a small mixer but I want to get something a little bit better. I was wondering if there is a way to not use a mixer and just use something via software?

Great question. I want portable gear.

docizzen
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
That's coming, but your budget will dictate. Thunderbolt devices will allow you to do this with ultra-low latency in your DAW, but that tech is not going to be widely available until 2014. Trust me, all of the major mfg companies will offer this tech soon, so be patient. What's cool about Thunderbolt buses and peripherals is that you can daisy chain up to six devices for one port. You can use a MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt and use 6 daisy chained 8 channel, or smaller audio interfaces if needed, or a smaller audio interface and go portable. Again, all of this at Ultra-low latency.

Here's Chief Hardware Engineer Bob Bauman with Lynx Studio Technology (http://www.lynxstudio.com/) talking at length about the benefits of Thunderbolt buses for use with audio peripherals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUE7_4Jzk48

docizzen
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Or this:

Here's another preview from ResidentAudio.com (http://residentaudio.com/) about their upcoming interfaces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCi6BtbHwE

MovieBuff
12-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Or this:

Here's another preview from ResidentAudio.com (http://residentaudio.com/) about their upcoming interfaces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCi6BtbHwE

Great video! What are the advantages of this aside from daisy chaining? Theoretically, is it digital audio that can then be processed on a computer instead of rack devices?

docizzen
12-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Ultra-low latency for a ton of channels (Daisy Chaining). Portability for a mobile or remote podcast.

MovieBuff
12-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Ultra-low latency for a ton of channels (Daisy Chaining). Portability for a mobile or remote podcast.

Forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

docizzen
12-12-2013, 02:42 PM
You're not ignorant. I follow a lot of your sage advice and value you very much my friend. I have been researching the... dare I say it, "Digital Option," for some time now and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Thunderbolt devices, but I do fear their premium costs.

MovieBuff
12-12-2013, 05:18 PM
You're not ignorant. I follow a lot of your sage advice and value you very much my friend. I have been researching the... dare I say it, "Digital Option," for some time now and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Thunderbolt devices, but I do fear their premium costs.

Thank you my friend, and thanks for sharing.

hugebrain
02-21-2014, 03:20 AM

Dear Mr. Mike Phillips or Anyone who has a thought on the below as this is being posted:

I need to start a Internet radio talk show. Although content is king and a proper presentation is mandatory, underlying it all (as you know) is choosing and using the right equipment, properly. To that end, I’ve taken the liberty to contact you.

Internet info is often dated and at instant, led to irreconcilable recommendations. Research led me to understand that your opinion is highly (and rightly) regarded. I not only respect your time and thank you in advance for it but in that vein, also narrow my question(s) primarily to that of the mixer and its defining connectivity.

Some of my choices are dictated by the dual use the equipment will have as I also write and will produce commercials, which may entail many things a radio talk show does not require.
Non-screened Landline, Cell, Skype, VOIP etc. and text caller comments are taken via TalkShoe and landline via hybrid. Cannot all callers be routed to Skype as a universal portal? I am unsure as to how many aux sends are needed and how they are used as to each task. A preliminary equipment list follows:
MIC: RE-320: Found it new for $214 It gives two variables of its sound rather than one with RE-20. I’m sure it is one of many Mic’s I will buy as need warrants. V.O. for commercials may need a condenser.

MIC SHOCK MOUNT: Electro-Voice 309A
MIC STAND: Heil PL2T
WALL MOUNT: Heil WM1 To keep the Mic from being mounted on a surface that I would also be touching.

TELEPHONIC: JK Audio: Digital Hybrid Broadcast Host, OR InnkeeperPBX, OR Handy Phone Hybrid?

COMPRESSOR/ LIMITER/GATE: DBX 286S May be needed to level out raw telephonic caller, also for V.O.

MEDIA PLAYBACK: Computer/Explorer MP3, MP4 Files OR Tascam CDRW901SL OR Tascam CD-200SB I just do not understand why I cannot just play a MP3, MP4 file from Explorer. I could easily have all that is needed for that show in one file and then have other support files or more regularly used files in another folder ready.

RECORDER: ZOOM H6 (use with XLR and/or shotgun mic to record effects, record show externally of computer
recording, interviews, OR Tascam DR-100MKII (same purpose), OR Roland R-05, OR Sony PCMM10B .

HEADPHONE: Sony MDR 7506 … undecided?

(Vendors: Amazon, Stillwater, eBay, BSW

Behringer UFX1604: It begs the question: If it sounds too good to be true… 4 Aux Sends per track, all switchable pre or post (UFX1204 only 2) 4 Stereo Aux Returns, separate CD/Tape input; inserts for each track as each also has record to USB stick capabilities. 1394, USB, twin effects I can use. I just wonder if the preamps are good (but I would also be buying a separate compressor) but as to some opinions, is build quality deserving of the negative opinions? If this is used, show could be recorded per track making editing more versatile but also via external recorder and/or via 1394 or USB.

Allen & Heath XB14-2: It seems to be the mixer purpose-built for the task. However, it (as you have commented on IAIB) has only 2 Aux Sends. (As I am trying to learn these things, I am still dim about why I need 4?) It looks like one can control CUE and START remote playback and auto mute where needed. That’s great, but I am a one-man-show and don’t see why a MP3 or MP4 file cannot be played via Explorer? I also looked into DJ Denon decks but it seems to be overkill just to have a straight playback of a sound bite, although they do give one ideas. Perhaps with the built in compressor and limiter, (no gate) a separate one may not be needed. To be able to off-air speak to a telephonic guest is great, but can’t that be done via Aux Send PLF? I want a separate channel for caller and one for me to facilitate editing, primarily to edit for content (obscenities) not PC policing and/or for length. This will be a recorded live show that will be rerun as well as website and YouTube downloadable.

Of interest:
Helix Phonic:
Soundcraft:
Presonus 16.4.2: Aux Send on each channel either pre or post.
Presonus 16.0.2: Aux Send more complicated to set-up.
Mackie 1640i:
Mackie 1402VLZ4:
Behringer X2442USB:

Again, I thank you in advance for any input. Of particularly, I need to know how to handle phone calls and which mixer best facilitates same.

Rick
hugebrain@ymail.com

:

--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

mcphillips
02-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Rick, have you and I spoken before? Please complete some of the profile information including your location. That helps to know what your equipment purchase options are.

You're asking a lot of questions. Please narrow them down somewhat, and I'll try to help.

MovieBuff
02-21-2014, 11:08 PM
Behringer X18 Mixer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBeVeFqfmY

hugebrain
02-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Mr. Phillips, thanks for your reply!
No, we have never spoken. As my NET connection is really bad (takes forever to load) I'll delay filling in my profile for now. As to where I am, Cincinnati. I don't see the tie-in between location and buying opportunities as all shall be bought via the mails. (Perhaps I am missing something in what you meant?) Yes, my query was rather dense in questions but I wanted, in one shot, to be conclusive of all I needed to address. I had hoped I focused it predominately on the mixer and telephonic connectivity. As you are an expert, I'm sure you get a daily peppering of questions. Usually, I never, never, EVER ask for advice but rather fend for myself as it's the best way to learn, but given how much I tried to get answers and did not find any that were definitive, I thought I would break down and finally illicit some help but that is okay. As said, I understand you as to be quit busy. I will continue and try to work it out best I can to get this project going. (BTW, the "hugebrain" name is not descriptively me, but rather the name of my concern.) Again, thanks anyway Mr. Phillips.

TomSinclair
02-22-2014, 08:42 AM
@MovieBuff - the X18 looks like it could work very well in a podcast/webcast studio. I use an X-32 at my church and it is amazing, but out of reach pricewise. Perhaps the X-18 is a bit closer to my price point.

hugebrain
02-22-2014, 04:11 PM
@MovieBuff - the X18 looks like it could work very well in a podcast/webcast studio. I use an X-32 at my church and it is amazing, but out of reach pricewise. Perhaps the X-18 is a bit closer to my price point.

Thank you Mr. Sinclair, I will take a look at the video you posted.

TomSinclair
02-22-2014, 05:02 PM
I just saw that suggested retail is $799. A bit pricey for now. But prices may fall as other manufacturers come out with similar products.

AndrewSeabrook
02-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Another video from NAMM. Points out the Aux send capability. http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/01/23/namm-2014-behringer-x18-tablet-driven-mixer/

mcphillips
02-23-2014, 08:19 PM
The reason location makes a difference is that all products are not available in all locations. The majority of people I've helped in the last month have been overseas. For example, the ATR2100 microphone is not available in the UK at a reasonable cost. The Samson Q2U is, and it's essentially the same mic (or at least its performance is equivalent).

The mixer you get will largely be driven by your budget. How much do you want to spend? The 16.4.2 will probably do everything you want, but so will the Behringer X2442, which is the one that Computers 2K Now uses.

Telephones are tough. There are a lot of problems with telephone interfaces. If you make outgoing calls, the solution is simple. We use Skype and SIP to make telephone calls. We receive calls on Skype and through Blog Talk Radio. Dave Jackson is experimenting with several telephone solutions, such as Call In Studio and UberConference, but so far, none is working well. Blog Talk Radio is the best solution for multiple callers with call screening, but they're terrible. The right way to take phone calls is with a Telos or Comrex digital hybrid and POTS telephone lines. However, that's expensive.

One of these days, I hope that I'll find a good telephone solution. The tools are available (Asterisk server and others), but no one has fully implemented them.

Richardpell
04-01-2015, 04:17 PM
I made a post somewher else but I guess i should ahve looked here.

Is there anything special I should look into for podcasting? any features I would need ?

docizzen
04-08-2015, 02:50 PM
AUX SENDS! Behringer X18 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/X18.aspx) Tabletop ($699) or the Behringer XR18 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/XR18.aspx) Rackmount ($699) with 6 Aux Sends. Both are controlled via WI-Fi computer, Android or IOS Tablets or smart phones. They are priced right and very flexible, especially considering you can use a cheap android device to remotely control them. The Behringer XR16 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/XR16.aspx) ($499) and Behringer XR12 (http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/XR12.aspx) ($299) are perfect as well, and except for I/O's they offer all if the exact same features as the X Air 18's, but availabilty for these two mixers won't be until won't be until around June 2015. Why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhdJO6tKKlk

Podnutter
04-10-2015, 07:02 AM
that mixer looks awesome.