PDA

View Full Version : What is good viewership for your podcast?

jamesdelfresco
07-19-2012, 06:20 AM
I am wondering what you would be happy with? How many viewers would make you happy with your podcast? I am getting ready to start my shows this summer and was wondering what a good number is. 25 ? 100 ? 150?

JaseRossi
07-19-2012, 02:20 PM
1,000,000!!! J/K

For me it really isn't about the numbers. I mean yeah it's great to have the numbers for sponsors and things, but I have told many people this. I love broadcasting. I love the gear. I love the fact that I get to each week put on a show with my best friend and my wife and we rock it out and have a blast doing it. I love all the fans we have and just how great the community it is.

I don't care if I have 10,000 viewers or 1 viewer. I will always give 110 percent to each and every person who downloads or tunes into the show. Because you never know how you will effect that one person who catches your show. You never know if that one person who tunes in is just pissed off at the world and he or she happens to catch the show and for that 1 hour time span that we are on, he or she forgets all the BS in the world and maybe even forgets why they were pissed off to begin with. Then are jobs as online broadcasters have paid off in knowing the fact that maybe just maybe, we changed that one person's look or view or even mood because they liked what we did.

It might sound stupid to some people, but to me knowing that I can give people a outlet even for just 1 hour. That makes it worth more the enough to me.

So to answer your question, it's really all how you feel about it and your outlook on what you want to get out of your time, money and effort.

Linuxcooldude
07-19-2012, 05:37 PM
If its a new podcast, you have to build an audience. I remember when it first started, I was lucky to get a few viewers in 4 hours time. You start getting the regulars who come back every week to watch. I don't really have any large following as far as 10-12 viewers ( Live broadcast, not counting viewers watching pre-recorded shows, such as Youtube )I'm doing pretty good. Had as many as 50 at one time, which is a rarity.

But after a while numbers don't mean as much, at least for me. Its all the hard work that goes into it before the show even begins.

andrewzarian
07-20-2012, 05:47 AM
This is a question that doesn't have one answer. It depends on what you are hoping to achieve and what type of content you are producing. I wouldn't be too concerned with the number of viewers for your podcast at the start. Work on creating good content and working out all the kinks with the Audio/Video. With that said Twitter and Facebook are great sources to get new viewers. Also networking goes a long way.

TomSinclair
07-20-2012, 10:26 AM
27 viewers is about right ;)

jamesdelfresco
07-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I rememeber reading that if you have a 1000 subs then you can make money from the podcast. Is that true?

Amnon
07-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I rememeber reading that if you have a 1000 subs then you can make money from the podcast. Is that true?
I don't know about 'subs' but we get around 5K views during our show, and no, we cannot make money (not that I know of :-)

andrewzarian
07-25-2012, 06:56 PM
once again it comes down to the type of show it is and if you are good at selling it. some shows are easier to sell to a smaller viewership

jamesdelfresco
07-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I plan on doing a show on home repair. I have noticed that there are not many shows like that on the internet do you think I can make money from my podcast?

mcphillips
07-25-2012, 08:26 PM
You can make money if you know how to sell. Take a look at http://rickshouseradio.com. He's live from 8 to 10AM Eastern on Saturday mornings. Past shows are at http://mixlr.com/rickshouse. Click on Show Reel.

Dahalabit
08-14-2012, 07:42 PM
I guess it comes down to if you are looking to make money or not with your podcast. I know someone who does a podcast and has about 10k downloads a week and he has never made a dime.