PDA

View Full Version : Question on Mic's for

washproof
07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Howdy, I'm setting up a home based studio at the moment, I have most of the stuff in need, apart from mic's.

I'm not too struck on the idea of having a dynamic mic in front of my face or in frame and I don't want to use a lavaliere due to sound quality, Is there any reason I should not be looking into getting a RODE NTG-2 so I can use it on a boom just out of frame in the studio and out in the field?...

Cheers.

*Sits and waits for Mike*

mcphillips
07-13-2012, 09:49 AM
The Rode NTG-2 is a great mic. It may work well for you depending on your room acoustics. Ray Ortega (@podcasthelper) just posted a video on YouTube where he demonstrates the NTG-1, which is the same mic without an internal battery. Check that out.

I'm partial to having a mic stuck in my face because the sound can never be better, but eating the mic can give sound worse than a boom mic out of the shot.

Lots of people are using headset mics because they are not obtrusive, but the good ones (like DPA) are very expensive.

washproof
07-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Cheers Mike, will got take a look at that video, I may just get one for now and have a play to see if I can get along with it.

Washy.

mcphillips
07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
That's the best approach. There are too many variables (particularly with room acoustics) to know whether the NTG-2 will give you the results you want.

If you decide to go with dynamic mics, consider the ATR2100-USB or the AT2005USB. I haven't posted this anywhere yet, but here (https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=AT2005USB) is the AT2005 for $49US plus shipping.