PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start Podcasting ?

andrewzarian
07-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Why and how did you start podcasting? Was this something you always wanted to do or did you fall into it?

BradShoemaker
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
I have always enjoyed listening to podcasts. The early days I typically listened to industry podcasts (in the web design field) or marketing podcasts.

When I took over as Web Director at our local radio cluster, I strong armed many of our talent into putting together podcasts on top of their normal air shifts. That was at the time when radio jocks were being reigned in. "Don't talk to much...get back to the music quicker...people don't care about the personality, they just want to hear the music, etc".

When I was let go I got together with a couple of former radio friends and we started doing a weekly show. We started the shows in January of 2011 and have been going strong ever since. It started as just an audio podcast and has blossomed into an full fledged video broadcast. We have added several shows along the way and deleted several shows as well.

Its been a huge learning experience and even though it started as a hobby, it is about to become my full time job. We have hit that point where things have hit that plateau. If we want to see it become anything more than what it is, then one of us had to take that blind leap into spending the majority of their time on it. I just happen to be in a position where that person is me.

So it has been an interesting road, but I am excited to see where it leads us.

washproof
07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I have been buying kit to start a podcast over the past 6 months, just two weeks ago I was told I would lose my job at the end of August due to the company folding, then just today I was told that intact I'l be out of work by the end of July so it looks like I will be jumping into podcasting full time by the end of the month.. as good as reason as any I guess :D

Donovan
07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
I started out blogging a few years ago. Last year I felt it was time to provide my opinions on whatever the hell I wanted to talk about in a different format, and audio was it. I've since added video (most of the time). My reason - my drive, is basically just to share my thoughts and opinions on the things that matter to me and hopefully engage others in thoughtful and interesting conversations.

Making a little money wouldn't hurt my feelings either. :)

andrewzarian
07-14-2012, 03:59 PM
I am seeing more and more Bloggers make the transition into Podcasting.

ChaseShumway
07-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd worked in video production for over a decade... still do. Fresh off of a year long production where we created a newscast parody, my pals and I were looking for a way to produce some sort of content on a weekly basis that wasn't going to kill me with editing, shooting, lighting, etc.

I thought... audio is easier. We don't have to worry about a fancy set, bathing, shaving, make up, lighting... lets do a podcast. I found the conversations we'd have while sitting around drinking were fairly entertaining... so that was a factor too.

I told the gents... lets give her six months and see what kind of response we get. That was '07... and here we are 213 episodes later, closing in on five years.

And that's how podcasts are born, Timmy.

RichardCleveland
07-16-2012, 10:50 AM
For me it was something I wanted to do. I began my career in broadcasting at the age of 17 and after many radio stations and live events I needed a break. In February of 2010 I registered nakedapeprod.com and began the research into this new media explosion. on January 14th, 2012 Naked Ape Productions launched The PC Basement followed by Between The Pages on March 9th.

I have a plan to build Naked Ape Productions beyond what it is today. In September I will be introducing 2 new shows to the line up. I was sad to see The PC Basement fail as a show however I am happy with the current direction Between The Pages is going.

I look forward to the future of this industry and the groth of the IAIB.

Thanks