PDA

View Full Version : Ron's Rants Streaming from St. Augustine FL. (Introduction)

kisttv
07-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Hello fellow members of IAIB. My name is Ron Prezzano and my network is Kisttv. Thanks for setting up this wonderful Association of Internet Broadcasters.

I have been podcasting for a couple of years. I worked for Fox Television WNYW Fox5 in NYC for over twenty five years. My duties over those twenty five plus years included, audio technician, video editor, producer and voice over artist. Live broadcasting and promotions were my forte. Now I have settled in behind the mic and camera and I am really enjoying it.

I relocated my studios to St. Augustine FL. this past December and after seven long months we are back up and podcasting. Along with my self and my co-host Ellie Van Valkenburg we are doing a slightly irreverent daily topical show called Ron's Rants (www.justin.tv/kisttv LIVE 5pm mon/Fri). This was a show that formulated, by myself, in New York last October, now that show has expanded with the addition of Ellie (a Brown Belt in Nia). Nia is a combination of Martial Arts, Dance and Yoga. Certainly not my cup of tea but I am not about to ruffle her skirt! PG & R would best describe our format.

Other shows on the network include "What Do You Think," a free for all weekly discussion panel on various topics depending on the guests expertise. "Music Tech Weekly" covers featured musicians, what they are up to, what gear they incorporate into their sessions and an insight into the music business.

If anyone is interested and would like to be a guest on any of the shows you can email me at ronprezzano@kisttv.com. Vist our website @ kisttv.com to view prior shows and poke around. Watch the progression and enjoy the rants. Thanks everyone.

Ron

Spencer Kobren
07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Hey Ron, Welcome to the IAIB! One of the very first times I was interviewed was on Good Day New York back in 1998.:)

kisttv
07-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Hey Spencer, Worked on that show early in 1988. helped set up all the studio audio and remotes. Did a lot of promos for that show. Jim Ryan, Marion Atol Watson, crazy Gordon Elliot. That show actually was #1 in NY morning show ratings for a short while. Thanks for the welcome.

mcphillips
07-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Ron, welcome. It sounds like you have some interesting shows. I'd be interested in being a guest, but it sounds like you already know more than I do about most things audio!

There is a lot of interest in audio around here, so your input is greatly encouraged. While my expertise is in microphones and audio, I have not worked at all in television audio. Lots of people want to learn how to use lavs and boom mics effectively. While I can help with the basics, it would be great for you to weigh in on the best ways to use stationery boom mics for to keep them out of the shot.

A discussion on the use of wireless mics in television would be fabulous. Which brands would give the best bang for the buck for the hobbyist Internet broadcaster? How important are studio acoustics for booms and lavs? What about comb filtering when two lavs get too close together? What sort of EQ do you normally use for a mic? What are your favorite brands of wired lavs? What are your favorite shotguns?

We look forward to learning from you!

kisttv
07-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Mike,

Thank you for the response.

Regarding my so called expertise in audio by no means would I consider myself at your level. Your knowledge of broadcast and recorded audio related issues is as thorough as anyone I know. I will let the true experts like yourself steer that ship. While I can certainly hold my end of the conversation on most things audio my forte is editing.

I was fortunate enough to cut my audio teeth on broadcast television. I worked with many technicians who like yourself were fascinated with every aspect of audio. These technicians were a pleasure to work with and covered my behind on many occasions.

I have worked on live shows where wireless mics and lavs were paramount. Proximity, phasing and radio frequencies were always an issue. Positioning of the lav mics, center left/right lapel, always made for a battle with talent. There is nothing more annoying than to have two hosts sitting side by side with their mics clipped to the lapel on the opposite side of their speaking direction. Double mics were a must for back up purposes. Believe me in a live situation that is a must. I worked on a puppet show where all the puppeteers wore wireless headset mics. We used to fight for frequency bandwidth with the NYC taxi drivers and the Russian Consulate (KGB), secret service and FBI. The only good thing about that scenario was the proximity of the mics to the puppeteers. No phasing or off mic issues. I am more of a story teller than a true technician. I could go on and on but I won't bore you here.

I do have a wealth of broadcast audio technicians that I still am in contact with on a regular basis. Perhaps we could produce a podcast with these technicians discussing their suggestions, ideas and formulas for all things pre, live and post audio production. All of these people are very articulate and entertaining. Decades of broadcast experiences and knowledge here. It would be a fun show.

Thanks again Mike for the your invitation and response.