PDA

View Full Version : Skype Return Video

robistech
07-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi Everyone
So I was curious if you as fellow broadcasters found a way to send return video on Skype. I think most broadcasters have learned about Mix Minus, and how to properly send back audio, but I don't think video is so easy. I know this has been a tricky subject, and it can be hard to do, especially on a low budget. I wanted to show how I do it on a budget, and hoping to hear how you do it as well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

This whole "Return Video" setup cost about $60. It can be done a bit cheaper using an EasyCAP, but the method I use gives me a little bit better quality. I am currently only sending video back to one machiene, but I can send video to multiple machines by just buying adding an amplifer.

Here's the hardware I use:

Kworld PCtoTV (http://www.amazon.com/KW-SA235-Converter-Adjustable-Brightness-Definition/dp/B0016VNYS2/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341534389&sr=1-10&keywords=kworld)
S-Video Cable
Dazzle DVC100 (http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Dazzle-DVC-100-Recorder/dp/B004GHHVWI)

Here's an explanation of what each thing does.

KworldPCtoTV
Now I came across this box while in a jam, and it has actually proven itself to be quite useful. Basically, this box takes the output of a computer (VGA only) and then converts it to S-Video, Composite, and VGA again. The beauty of this thing is that it works with Windows and Mac completely plug and play, it looks to the OS as a separate Monitor, and it can output to all 3 outputs simultaneously.

So when using Wirecast, I can have the program out displayed on the External Display (Kworld) and then I split it to VGA to a monitor for viewing, and to S-Video for Skype Return

Dazzle DVC100
Any capture card will do, but I used this because I had it lying around the house, and it works better than others I have tried. Essentially, the Dazzle works as an interface to bring the S-Video into the computer, and Skype sees it as a webcam. You have to be careful what USB capture device you buy, because they might not work with Skype. Also remember that compatibility issues exist between Skype versions. I use an older ver of Skype (4.2) and it seems to work fine.

After a little bit of tweaking and scaling, you now have skype return video. Now, its also important to understand that the return video quality isn't going to be great. The person on the other end won't really be able to read anything, but they can see a live program out of what shot is live and all with no delay.

I use it with my co-host almost everyday and he says though the quality isn't stellar, it's much better than watching a delayed feed.

Below is a digram of how it all works together. I am very interested to see how you accomplish this. Again, if you have any questions, let me know!

69 Click for Larger Size

Amnon
07-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I use the new VVD module in Vidblaster to send return video to Skype guests. Works nice.

andrewzarian
07-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Vidblaster allows you to send Video back to your skype caller and Wirecast will be allowing you in V. 4.2 (coming out later next month). We also send video out of vidblaster via a black magic intensity pro capture card into the skype machine( that also has a Black Magic Intesity Pro)

joedemax
07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
That's an excellent rig!