PDA

View Full Version : USB Camera and Signal Length

BradShoemaker
07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
One of our shows is putting on a "Dating Game" style show at one of our onsite locations. This will be a different setup than I have ever had to do. Normally the Camera's we use (Lifecam Cinema's) are using either the standard hookup or a 10' extender and the signal looks fine; however, we will need something longer to reach from the computer to the stage.

Using 2 extender's winds up with interference, which I figured would happen.

Any suggestions?

Different camera's I should use? Anything?

Thanks guys.

Amnon
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I used longer extenders, but they were expensive cables that had lower resistance. I'll dig around and see if I can find info.

BradShoemaker
07-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you Amnon. I appreciate anything you can show me. Less than a week to go before I have to put everything in action.

RadarGaming
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
BradShoemaker, If you need to run cameras long length have you ever though of using IP cameras? You can put them anywhere and you don't have to deal with cables.

BradShoemaker
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I have certainly thought about IP cameras,but isn't there latency issues and audio video sync issues?

How well does vidblaster deal with those?

Amnon
07-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Thank you Amnon. I appreciate anything you can show me. Less than a week to go before I have to put everything in action.
http://www.showmecables.com/product/Long-Distance-USB-Extension-Cable.aspx

BradShoemaker
07-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Thank you. It isn't too bad in price and will definitely come in handy.

andrewzarian
07-09-2012, 05:50 AM
the longest I have tried with the Lifecam and c910 is 15 feet. Works great but make sure its a good quality extender

cseeman
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I think the computer USB may have impact on how well extenders work.
I was engineering a stream recently and they had tested a C910 with very good expensive extender on a high end desktop computer. The plugged it into a high end laptop and it didn't work. Removed the extender and the C910 worked fine. The only variable was the computer. All USB buses are not created equal.

andrewzarian
07-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I think cseeman is correct It all depends on the extender and the actual hardware