PDA

View Full Version : The Ramones on The Joe Frankin Show - Classic!

Spencer Kobren
07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Joe Franklin is one of my all time favorite people and one of the most genuine, hard working broadcasters in the business. Being born and raised in New York City, The Joe Franklin Show on WWOR TV, channel 9 was part of the fabric of my young life. Joe is actually credited for hosting the first television talk show and the guy’s been on radio forever.

What I always loved about Joe’s shows, including his Memory Lane radio program, is that he did what he wanted to do and played to his niche, surviving for decades simply by doing what he loves. He’s a New York icon who serves as an example of what true success is.

Back in 1999, I was on WWOR radio on Saturday nights at 11pm and Joe’s show was on at midnight. Joe was always at the studio really early preparing for his show and he was like 73 years old at the time. I used to love to get to the studio early to kibitz with him about radio and life, and he was always so generous with his time and wisdom.

He was once kind enough to tell me that he thought I was had a natural gift...He said that people "want" to listen to me and to just keep doing what I’m doing. Those words were very powerful for me and helped me a great deal in my career.

Joe and I are facebook friends now and he’s still doing what he does at 86...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5pN9xU6HHc