PDA

View Full Version : Audio Critique

mcphillips
06-29-2012, 05:04 AM
When I hear an IAIB member's Internet broadcast, and that broadcast has some technical issues, I struggle with whether to offer my unsolicited input or keep my mouth shut. Some people really appreciate the input. Others are down right snarky about it. So, if I heard something about your show that I thought could be improved, what you want to know?

andrewzarian
06-29-2012, 05:11 AM
I think it comes down to how secure you are about what you are doing. there are many people out there that can not handle being told they are not perfect. I welcome all comments and hope to grow what I am doing. We all can learn from each other

Donovan
06-29-2012, 05:59 AM
I have no problem with it. I realize that I'm constantly learning and evolving my broadcasts. My quality is 100% better than it was a year ago and I imagine it could still be improved. At the same time, I don't have the luxury of devoting 100% of my time to making sure everything is pristine. :)

andrewzarian
06-29-2012, 06:04 AM
I had a very nice convo with Mike Phillips a while ago and he said something that has stuck with me. It takes months to tweak your audio. you can improve it but not perfect it in one day.

mcphillips
06-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Wow, that's creepy seeing things I've said being repeated, considering some of the crap that comes out of my mouth. Seriously, the discussion is a long and involved one, but the fact of the matter is that human hearing takes a while to adjust to sounds. Look up ear fatigue. It's a tricky proposition.

One of the biggest challenges I see with Internet audio is levels. The tools for monitoring levels (mixer, Wirecast, Vidblaster, and Mixlr level indicators, for example) are just not accurate. Some manufacturers don't understand audio, or they have strong opinions on how their users should use their equipment.

Over time I hope to have somewhat of a calibrated receiver for determining appropriate levels on Internet broadcasts. It's not as easy as it looks. Standards are not uniform. It could take a while.

Spencer Kobren
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
When I hear an IAIB member's Internet broadcast, and that broadcast has some technical issues, I struggle with whether to offer my unsolicited input or keep my mouth shut. Some people really appreciate the input. Others are down right snarky about it. So, if I heard something about your show that I thought could be improved, what you want to know?

I welcome all input just as long as don't bring up the hair.:)

sunkast
06-29-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm all for constructive criticism. What I don't like are the people that say something but are complete jerks about it. In your case Mike, I think it's even fairer to hear comments from you since most people here at the IAIB know you have extensive knowledge and experience with audio equipment. That makes a big difference when you have a reputation versus some random guy on the internet making a comment about your audio. The key here is being constructive.

andrewzarian
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Personally speaking Mike has been a huge help for us here at the GFQ Network. The negative is that we have spent over a grand in audio upgrades over the past month :)

mcphillips
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Personally speaking Mike has been a huge help for us here at the GFQ Network. The negative is that we have spent over a grand in audio upgrades over the past month :)
That's all? I need to get busy.

Linuxcooldude
07-14-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm all for constructive criticism. What I don't like are the people that say something but are complete jerks about it. In your case Mike, I think it's even fairer to hear comments from you since most people here at the IAIB know you have extensive knowledge and experience with audio equipment. That makes a big difference when you have a reputation versus some random guy on the internet making a comment about your audio. The key here is being constructive.

I think that is key. Is the comment really constructive or is it made to make fun of them. Usually I'm very critical of my own work so I'm usually on top of any audio/video problems that come up and usually get good comments on the quality.

But I'm not the best public speaker. ( I do have training as an Instructor & Public speaking ) I have short term memory loss that often causes speech problems, often I mix up facts and such. So such problems will not go away but I do things to help minimize mistakes that I make.

So I do get hypercritical comments on the negative side from places such as Youtube. But nearly most of the commenters don't make any content of their own or upload somebody else's often illegally. But the most are fairly nice about it.

So I may take suggestions to heart, I don't take any flack over things I have no control over, such as my disability.

TomSinclair
07-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I had a very helpful session with Mr. Phillips last week. He pointed out several basic flaws in my mixer settings. He was very gracious and patient. And my audio is better!

The bottom line for me is... it is easier and more helpful to receive critique from someone that I trust and acknowledge as an expert (someone that knows more than me!).

William Thomas
07-15-2012, 02:00 PM
I also like constructive criticism however if its followed by "when i lived in ny i did it this way" i lose interest...sorry new yorkers but it like chalk on a board....i guess i have lived in nc for a long time now...lol...and i should mention i guess that i was born at West Point Military Academy, in West Point, NY. so there you go...My Alabama bud Tom is always helpful....

BradShoemaker
07-15-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm all for criticism. My broadcasts have never been to my liking. I have worked in the industry for years, but engineering the broadcasts has been a first for me. I'm better when I can sit in a studio that has been pre-configured, but those days are long gone.

As for my broadcasts most of everything I do now is setup at bars and the added factor of crowd noise and the speakers, etc make it hard for me to hear what I am doing wrong as I am recording it...only after do I hear that something doesn't sound right... so I am ALWAYS up for criticism.