PDA

View Full Version : How to setup Basic Mix Minus with Skype!

JaseRossi
06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I said this in another post but I will say it again. I get asked this question a lot and I see some people asking about it on here too. How do you setup basic mix minus using Skype and a Mixer?

If I put this in the wrong Area, Please move it to the right one. :)

So I thought I would make a video to show you how easy it is to do this. At lease I hope I made it look easy hehe.

You can share and post this video where ever you would like. I hope this video makes it a little easier to understand and setup Mix Minus.

If I am wrong on anything Mike Phillips will be sure and tell me ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77oKuI-yn8k&list=UUCPNSn4-L-Cm-IyEKXs2fCQ&index=0&feature=plcp

Spencer Kobren
06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey Jase, thanks so much for posting this! To tell you the truth, I’ve been having some issues with Skype that I can’t seem to figure out. Perhaps I’ll hit you up to help me trouble shoot:)

I think we need an IAIB tutorial forum to house this type content...What do you guys think?. Great job!

mcphillips
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Jase, using Skype to check the levels on the Aux Send bus is a great idea. I tell people to plug their headphones directly into the Aux Send jack so they can hear what is being sent. Using Skype as an input monitor saves some time if everything is wired correctly.

Spencer, your forum software allows the creation of individual blogs. Can the IAIB forum do the same?

TomSinclair
06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Jase, Does this tutorial assume you have a USB mixer connected to your PC? If so, some clarification might keep someone like me from going crazy if I was not using a USB mixer.

Just a thought.

Donovan
06-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Very good tutorial, Jase! I wish I had come across a tutorial like this when I was first trying to figure it out. :)

Spencer Kobren
06-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Spencer, your forum software allows the creation of individual blogs. Can the IAIB forum do the same

It’s an additional component that can be purchased for the forum, but we would first have to figure out how many members actually want to use it as opposed to simply creating threads. I’m up for it if we have enough people who are interested.

RadarGaming
06-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Jase, First off great video this would be very help full to people looking to do Mix Minus for the first time. With your permission I would love to make a second video to show Mix Minus with only one PC. If some one only has one power PC it would be great to know how to do a Mix Minus on one PC with two different audio sources. Let me know thanks.

JaseRossi
06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys! The mixer I am using is a USB mixer but I am not using the USB audio that is built into the mixer. I am using analog out to my rack mount interface.

That would be great Radar! I think that would be a great idea.

I have a few other ideas for some videos that I thought would help and of course I will make sure they are posted on the IAIB! :)

Jase

JaseRossi
06-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Hey Jase, thanks so much for posting this! To tell you the truth, I’ve been having some issues with Skype that I can’t seem to figure out. Perhaps I’ll hit you up to help me trouble shoot:)

I think we need an IAIB tutorial forum to house this type content...What do you guys think?. Great job!

Thank you so much Spencer! and I would love to help you with your Skype problem! add me on Skype techjaseokc and we will take a look at it!

Jase

andrewzarian
06-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Great video Jase. really helpful stuff

Amnon
06-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Jase, Does this tutorial assume you have a USB mixer connected to your PC? If so, some clarification might keep someone like me from going crazy if I was not using a USB mixer. Just a thought.
I don't think that makes any difference Tom. The trick is in the AuxSend, which both USB and Non-USB have.

JaseRossi
06-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Great video Jase. really helpful stuff

Thanks Andrew! :)

offtheairlive
06-27-2012, 09:01 AM
I've used a mix minus rig in the past but now that I've upgraded to a USB mixer, I haven't seen a need for it. From what I can tell, by using the USB connection to the computer it acts as both an input and an output. With my setup right now I'm using the same machine to record, broadcast, and use Skype, and have a simple USB connection and have no issues with loop feedback. I don't doubt that a mix minus is better but I don't necessarily think it's something you have to do.

mcphillips
06-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Skype has built-in echo cancellation. So long as you don't send it a complex waveform to cancel, it works fairly well. With a mix-minus feed, the complexity of the waveform is irrelevant.

William Thomas
08-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Jaserossi,

I just watched your mixminus video on utube. Great job...I will give her a try. thanks very much for the simplicity of the video. 2 1/8 by 1/4 cables and turn down aux send on the skype channel....thats it right...lol...i have usb mixer. ...i have an alesis multimix8.

After further review all worked great without usb ....wonder if it will work with usb installed? Tom, how do you connect with usb being connected?