PDA

View Full Version : Best Audio Editing Software For Mac OS X Lion?

Common Law Wife
03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm curious what the best audio editing software is for Mac? Does Garageband handle most broadcasters needs?

andrewzarian
03-27-2012, 05:11 PM
I was using Garage band for a few Years. Its an extremely powerful tool on the mac. I loved the audio filters that they provide.

cseeman
05-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I used SoundTrack Pro for a while. It's gone now.
I suspect Logic Pro X is going to be very impressive.

erictimmer
05-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Garage Band for the main stuff and once in a while Audacity.

drumstudio2000
06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
if you are a hobbits, go for garageband
if you are more serious about audio pro, go for logic 9 pro or protools.

Donovan
06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
For simple, quick editing I use Garage Band. For more involved editing, I use Audition (on Mac and Windows).

Linuxcooldude
07-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't really edit audio much for a broadcast. That is usually already setup correctly before a show. If I do have to edit audio, its usually when I use Final Cut Pro X for video that is recorded outside the studio. The next version is going to have more advanced audio editing capabilities added.

cseeman
09-15-2012, 11:46 AM
BTW Sony SoundForge is now on the Mac.
I've heard it's not just a port but a complete Mac specific rewrite.
http://finallyonthemac.com

pgabrielr18
02-18-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm curious what the best audio editing software is for Mac? Does Garageband handle most broadcasters needs?

I suggest you to try Traktor Pro for Mac, i use this soft and it works great!

You can download this soft from: http://www.dnmw.net/traktor-pro-for-mac-free-download/

Good Luck!

bdegrande
08-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Garageband is fine and is probably used by most Mac podcasters. Apple's step up, Logic, has a longer learning curve and its extra features more often matter for music than podcasting. I have tried lots of other options after becoming dissatisfied with Garageband (Audacity, Adobe Audition, Twisted Wave, Reaper) and my favorite by far is Amadeus Pro. It is not very expensive ($60 in the Mac App Store). It makes the most routine editing operations very quick, but it also has advanced features.

1) It supports virtually every audio format. If you need OGG or whatever it is there. If you need to directly import the MOV files that Call Recorder puts out, it will do that.

2) It supports both AU and VST plugins.

3) It will handle creating metadata - just click the information icon on the toolbar.

4) It has a very clean user interface compared to something like Audacity, which looks like a jet engine control panel.

5) It makes inserting files dead simple, just drag and drop to where you want it - no create a separate track and then cut and paste.

6) It is well documented and supported. There is a manual that you download when you first open it, and it is constantly being improved In the last seven years, every upgrade but one (1.0 to 2.0) has been free.

7) It has all the features a good multitrack editor should have - noise reduction, crossfadres, etc.

8) While you can draw volume curves as in Garageband, you can also highlight a section and pick Amplify to quickly amplify a section.

9) It does batch processing. For my podcast, while some use Levelator, instead I run a batch which has normalization, compression, a noise gate, and some minor noise reduction. This greatly reduces editing time.

10) My absolute favorite feature, the "trial edit". You highlight a section, press 'e', and it lays back the sound without that section. If it's wrong, you adjust the highlight. Much quicker than edit/play/undo/repeat.

There is a trial version at their web site, www.hairersoft.com