PDA

View Full Version : Blast From The Past - My Evolution in Internet Broadcasting

Spencer Kobren
06-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Man, we've come a long way since hooking up a logitech and streaming to Stickam from WestwoodOne Radio. Thanks Andrew for reminding me that this was online and check out that Neuman U87.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd4jCSFfMgg

andrewzarian
06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
wow really cool to see you at westwoodone

brianmonroe
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Spencer,

Thats awesome. Nice to see where you have been and how much things have changed. That Neuman U87 is a nice microphone but quite expensive.

Spencer Kobren
06-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Spencer,

Thats awesome. Nice to see where you have been and how much things have changed. That Neuman U87 is a nice microphone but quite expensive.

Thanks Brain..I have to admit, it was much easier when all I had to do was drive to the studio, sit on my ass and talk for two hours.:) However, like I said in a prior post, wearing all that hats has its advantages and gives me total control of my product.

You know, the U87 is a beautiful and coveted mic, but I still like the sound of an RE20 better and it’s 1/4 the price.

brianmonroe
06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Spencer,

I agree that as long as you are a "self starter" as the HR drones say, doing your own thing is the best. I agree that being an employee is great as all you have to do is show up and you can be on cruze control 1/2 the time. Just look at the movie Office Space. Quite true in many situations.

As for the U87 versus RE20, I will leave that to mcphillips for his opinion as I have not heard a side by side comparison and also it really does depend on your voice. Some people sound great on one kind of mic and bad on another. Not only that but you are correct, if you like the sound of the RE20 better that is really all that matter. Not only that but 1/4 the price it is a great deal. The same can be said for the PR40 and the AT2100-USB. As the PR40 is quite a bit more expensive and the AT2100-USB works almost as well, You really do have to look at your needs 1st. Also, I would NEVER buy a microphone just because some famous person uses one as I know for a fact that it is NOT the microphone that makes a broadcaster sound good or bad. It only amplifies/repeats what is there. If you have a bad voice, spending hundreds or thousands on mic's, amps and other equipment is NOT going to change that fact.

I am sure that the equipment vendors love it as they get to sell more gear but just like golf clubs, cars and other expensive things. Start out simple and inexpensive until you are sure you need to or want or need to spend the big money on the pro level stuff.