PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream Podcasting Studio?

andrewzarian
06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
If you could have any setup / hardware for your Podcasting studio what would it be?

ctrlaltdeliver
06-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Yours :) I am a man of simple needs.

andrewzarian
06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
hahah Are you calling me simple !! :)

ctrlaltdeliver
06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
No one would EVER call you simple, Andrew :) your setup handles everything that I see myself building towards. Better video capabilities, computer to handle video production both streaming and post-production, dedicated Skype machine. And, of course, you know that I covet your Cardinal Microphone :) On a public school teacher's salary in Georgia, those things will come in slow dribbles, but they WILL come.

andrewzarian
06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I know how it is. It takes time to develop what you want. Took me 3 years to build this out. BTW what grade do you teach?

ctrlaltdeliver
06-22-2012, 10:54 AM
I teach Fifth Grade. Been in Education for over 20 years. Did computer lab for 8 of it. That's why my podcast focuses on EdTech and Kidlit.

BradShoemaker
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Working on building my semi-dream studio. Due to not having a proper house that I can truly use as a studio, I am opting to renting space at a Industrial/artist complex where the upstairs was once a call center, they are now building office/studio spaces to suit.

It won't be ready till September, but in the end I will have enough space for 2 studios and a reception area (to make sure guests don't knock in the middle of shows.

As for equipment... looking at buying stuff now and includes a couple machines for streaming and skyping. A Presonus board, around 4-5 SM7Bs or RE20s. Haven't decided yet. A good lighting kit and several other things I have on a list somewhere.

Also looking to decorate as Andrew and Mike David's studios have inspired me to come up with something creative and not a stock radio-esque look.

Also looking into Soundproofing and general sound panels, etc.

ctrlaltdeliver
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Congratulations,Brad. Sounds like it will be nice. We will be redoing my wife's art studio to include interview space and I may end up moving my production to the same area. Sound will be an interesting thing to work through in the space, but overall easier to isolate and control.

Check out her artwork at www.samanthameeker.com
All of the paintings of the man in pain are of me. She has captured my pain of wanting to get my studio set up :)

andrewzarian
06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
I have redone this studio 3 times and im now totally out of room. the next move would be to redo the entire attic to be the studio. Our attic has 3 bedrooms so I would use each of them 1 , servers , 2 production, 3 studio

ctrlaltdeliver
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a daughter that is turning 17 and one that is 13. That means that in 4-5 years I COULD have an extra room open up, too. Attic doesn't have easy access or I'd go with Andrew's plan.

Jadori
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
My dream setup would be similar to GSPN.tv studio expect my mics would be RF-20's with rhinestone cases of course lol. I would also pimp out my studio in good Jersey style! Tons of animal prints lol. I would like to have it set up as a traditional radio station or DJ booth with my VMS 4.

RichardCleveland
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
As I am in the process of building my home studio it is constantly evolving. my next phase is to build real walls then I upgrade my video to a hardware switcher. After that I will upgrade my audio. However if I was to be able to build it tomorrow I would put in 5 HD consumer grade camcorders, a hardware switcher like the tricaster, presonus digital audio and RE-20 or PR-40 mics.

Donovan
06-24-2012, 05:17 AM
My dream studio is probably somewhere in between what Andrew has and what TWiT has. Of course, the TWiT studio was over a million dollars, so that's not attainable. :)

In my secondary building that I'm in, one half is my wife's sewing studio and a small section of that half is my studio (as shown in my studio tour video). The other half of the building is basically a storage area for yard tools, lawn mower, etc. My goal is to remodel that entire side as a studio. That would give me something like a 12x20 (estimated) space which would allow me to have more than one set for different shows. Of course, upgrading some of the equipment would be in order as well - like HD cameras (not web cams), a digital audio mixer and a hardware video switcher (possibly - though there is a lot of power in some of the software we're all using).

Hey, if you're going to dream, dream big!

Jadori
06-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Anything is possiable Donovan. I know that I am going to be famous someday. I believe in my work and making a difference it just takes hard work to make your dreams happen. You can do it!

Formulatech
06-24-2012, 08:53 AM
My Dream studio would have a Tricaster 8000 and a Axia IP Audio sound system.

erictimmer
06-24-2012, 06:35 PM
My dream studio would be to have a room to myself where I don't have to assemble/disassemble my setup every time I want to record a podcast. Also would like to be able to use said room whenever I want without having to worry about waking people up for being too loud.

Hopefully with my move back the the USA in a couple months I will be one step closer...

andrewzarian
06-25-2012, 04:39 AM
There are a few things missing from my studio that im hoping to add by the end of the year. We still need to upgrade 3 of our cameras to Canons , Add a door and possible add more colored lighting. Cooling this place down is also a major issue. I dont think there is a day that its under 90 degrees in here during the summer.

erictimmer
06-26-2012, 05:12 PM
With the new hardware you bought you should be able to run the A/C without the noise coming through on the recording, right?

mcphillips
06-26-2012, 08:18 PM
With the new hardware you bought you should be able to run the A/C without the noise coming through on the recording, right?
Nope. The gate will suppress the sound between sentences, but the background noise is still present when Andrew is talking. It's just less noticeable.

andrewzarian
06-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Mike said it before I could. :)

ChaseShumway
06-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh boy, what a great question... I could ramble about this so much it'd crash this forum's server. I'll keep it simple.

A room with awesome movie posters and cool stuff we like all around us. It'd be acoustically treated of course with sound panels.

We'd have five Rode Procasters, or similar dynamic mics mounted on scissor arms and running to a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2. That would feed into a desktop PC which would probably have a Blackmagic Designs ATEM Studio Switcher added to it. Feeding that would be an HD camera locked down on a wide shot since we're an animated bunch. That PC would take care of all streaming.

I'd have a laptop on the other side that would feed the ATEM video of its screen (chat room, pics, videos or whatever we're talking about at that moment). There might also be a couple of bargain laptops off to one side that would feed in Skype guests (we rarely have them though).

And of course, there'd be a mini-fridge stocked with our hosts favorite beers and sodas.