PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Apple's Podcast Move?

Spencer Kobren
06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
It seems like podcasts have been this great "new" medium for a while now, long after their introduction in 2004 and their subsequent explosion in popularity. Based on the most recent statistics, it's projected there are currently somewhere between 115,000 and 150,000 unique English language podcasts available for download, most of which are free. That's right, no cost for, in many cases, over an hour of audio or video content ranging in topics like news, comedy, society, business, and religion.

Read more: http://www.minyanville.com/dailyfeed/2012/06/18/why-apples-podcast-move-matters/#ixzz1yFpagwqz

RichardCleveland
06-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I just read this article and it would stand to reason that Apple is going to make another attempt at controlling the podcasting market.

ctrlaltdeliver
06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Although I am sure that someone could, or will, develop an app for the Metro interface, the fact that Microsoft does not appear to be supporting podcasts with their Xbox Music is telling, as well. Prior to my getting an iPhone, my podcast consumption was through the Zune marketplace. If not available on Zune, I went through iTunes and added it to my Zune folder. My hope for the Apple move is that it might make podcasts easier to find and bring them to the forefront by having a dedicated app.If that is the case, although a shift, Apple is still going in the right direction. Having abandoned the Zune hardware, but still tying podcasts to Zune software, Microsoft will miss the boat? Metro Developers- get on it!

andrewzarian
06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
There is a great app for metro called Slapdash Podcast

Formulatech
06-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I am running iOS 6 Beta 1 on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 and there is no where in iTunes app to download audio or video podcasts so I am expecting to see a new App or someone big from apple on Podcasts

erictimmer
06-24-2012, 06:27 PM
I think it's because iTunes was getting to bloated so they wanted to separate some "stuff" out. Also podcasts don't really make them any money so why have it in iTunes???

brianmonroe
06-27-2012, 04:50 AM
EricTimmer,

I agree. iTunes on iOS was trying to do to many things so they split off the Podcasting function in to it's own app. This actually follows what you see with the AppleTV and it having it's own app on the front page for Podcasts. I think this is a good move as it will I am sure let more people find and subscribe to podcasts because they are no longer buried in iTunes for iOS. This is just like they did for iTunes U. I do not think it has to do with direct sales/podcasts of course but more about highlighting functionality on iOS devices.

RichardCleveland,

I disagree that Apple is trying to control the podcasting community. If anything, I think this is a move for them to show off the great content that is out there the same way they did for iTunes U. The real problem for most users is discovery of new content that can replace what they currently are getting in other ways. It is just so easy to turn on the TV and flip through the channels until you find something that is on. With Interent Broadcasting that is not the case. You have to sample different shows to see what is good and what is not and this is not as easy as most users do not even know where to start.