PDA

View Full Version : Critiquing

AgentPete
06-18-2012, 08:13 AM
I would be keen to have members critique our shows. If there was enough demand, might I suggest we could open a new area here just for that?
Critiquing isn't for everyone - mostly, because criticism can be quite hard to take. Especially if you've put your heart and soul into a project.
However, I've learnt a huge amount over the past few years from fellow broadcasters, both terrestrial and internet, and I'm a believer in learning what you can from others' honest reactions... and I'm determined to develop the show to make it the best it can be.
If anyone want to kick off, my main show is here (http://www.litopia.com/radio/author/litopiaafterdark/), and its iTunes feed is here (http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/litopia/id251606049?mt=2).
Out audience is (obviously) writers and readers, i.e. people keen on books.

andrewzarian
06-19-2012, 06:57 AM
I think its a great thing to have other Podcasters / Internet Broadcasters listen to your show and tell you what they like and don't like. In order to improve you must be open to the idea that you are not doing everything perfectly. Going to listen to your show now?

RichardCleveland
06-19-2012, 07:30 AM
I would also welcome the opinions of my fellow internet broadcasters. Please feel free to let me know what you think works or doesn't. you can find my latest show @ http://nakedapeprod.com/shows/between-the-pages/

ctrlaltdeliver
06-19-2012, 08:36 AM
I welcome suggestions and any feedback. I am obviously working on the sound. Other areas like content and format are welcome,too. Http://www.netcaststudio.com/ctrl-alt-deliver/

andrewzarian
06-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Just Took a listen to your podcast Pete. You are doing an amazing job. If I were to critique the show I would say to pull back on the bumpers.

What type of mic are you co-hosts using? Maybe that can also be improved a little.

RichardCleveland
06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
sorry had the wrong address in my previous post. Here is the correct one http://nakedapeprod.com/shows/between-the-pages/

andrewzarian
06-19-2012, 09:39 AM
@RichardCleveland Love the Comic podcast!! Only thing I would do is cut the start of the show down a little. I have noticed that my viewers lose interest if the opener is longer then 45 seconds. Maybe cut back on the Sponsor reads a little to tighten it up. Content is amazing !!

RichardCleveland
06-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks Andrew your opinions mean a great deal to me. I would welcome other input as well.

Thanks

AgentPete
06-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Could I suggest a simple format for critiques? Something like:

- What did you particularly like about the show?
- What makes you want to listen / subscribe to the feed?

DISLIKES
- What didn't you like?
- What might stop you listening / subscribing?

SUGGESTIONS
- Format suggestions
- technical
- How to drive more listeners?

AgentPete
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Just Took a listen to your podcast Pete. You are doing an amazing job. If I were to critique the show I would say to pull back on the bumpers.

What type of mic are you co-hosts using? Maybe that can also be improved a little.

Thanks, Andrew, appreciated.
My co-hosts are on basic headset mikes. We are totally dependent on Skype for their audio quality, sometimes good, sometimes not.
Here in central London, we still don't have fiber. The ADSL is highly variable, sadly.
I do insist that contributors use a headset mike, use a wired (not wifi) connection, and kill all other internet usage for the duration of the show. But even so, it's a crapshoot.

MyTakeRadio
06-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I too am always open to critique from my peers. Helps see hole in my game that I can improve.

AgentPete
06-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Between The Pages

Very personable & likeable presenters.
Great knowledge of the subject & contagious enthusiasm.
Nice use of inserts/features to break up what is quite a long show.

DISLIKES
Can't easily see how to subscribe.
Is there an audio-only rss option? Only a few may actually want this, but I probably would.
Chatroom is Flash. is there a non-Flash fallover option for iPod/iPad users?
Would like some captions - new viewers need to know which one is Jason, which is Richard.
Richard's (I think!) pop shield covers half his face!
Split screen video gets a bit tedious after a few mins - more cameras / angles?
In the show I watched, there was no interaction with the chatroom.

SUGGESTIONS
Consider pitching for A-lister special guests. They are far more interested in new media today than they were just a few years ago. We've had bestselling author Jeffrey Archer recently, will be hosting Dan Rather in a few weeks - none of these would have given us the time of day even a year ago.
Build more interaction with viewers. Contests, maybe?
Consider arguing more. Jason takes one view, Richard another - and let the best man win! Makes very engaging listening.

TomSinclair
06-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Between The Pages

Synergy between the hosts.

DISLIKES
Backdrops are busy and give an unbalanced look. Of course, I'm nosey and want to see what books are there and other stuff, but I'd suggest being very intentional about the background -- interesting but not distracting. Or go hog-wild and use chromakey to put yourself on one of the pages from one of the comics.