PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Podcasters Post Their Audio On YouTube?

Jadori
06-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I have noticed the trend of audio podcasters posting their shows on YouTube. Since YouTube is a visual format I thought that it is interesting that I see more and more of that on there. Why do you think that people are doing that?

mcphillips
06-16-2012, 12:07 PM
It's all about reaching more listeners. There are lots of audio-only uploads on YouTube. It has the most traffic of any entertainment site. The question in my mind is, why would you NOT post your audio on YouTube?

Amnon
06-16-2012, 04:47 PM
It's all about reaching more listeners. There are lots of audio-only uploads on YouTube. It has the most traffic of any entertainment site. The question in my mind is, why would you NOT post your audio on YouTube?
Hey, never thought about posting the audio there. They would not let me post the 5 Hours show, but the audio is a pretty small file.

Donovan
06-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Hey, never thought about posting the audio there. They would not let me post the 5 Hours show, but the audio is a pretty small file.

YouTube has allowed unlimited time for about a year now. I post our 1+ hour shows there every week.

Amnon
06-16-2012, 06:12 PM
YouTube has allowed unlimited time for about a year now. I post our 1+ hour shows there every week.
Well, I tried about two months ago again, and no dice. Will try again.

mcphillips
06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
The last time I checked, there was a time limit more so than a file size limit. Things change all the time, so give it a shot. Audio files are easily edited into segments.

andrewzarian
06-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I know many Podcasts post their interviews on Youtube and surprisingly they get a lot of views. I have spent many hours listening to radio interviews on Youtube.

Formulatech
06-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Could you just use the podcast Album artwork as the video so its not just black also the video could be use to put up text about links show notes etc

Donovan
06-17-2012, 08:04 AM
The last time I checked, there was a time limit more so than a file size limit. Things change all the time, so give it a shot. Audio files are easily edited into segments.

As long as you don't have any copyright infringements on your account or other restrictions, it's now unlimited as far as the time is concerned. I have 3 YouTube accounts that have unlimited on them.

Donovan
06-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Could you just use the podcast Album artwork as the video so its not just black also the video could be use to put up text about links show notes etc

Yes, if you don't have any other video that you want to put on it, the recommended method is to put your logo, etc. as the video track.

Formulatech
06-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Yes, if you don't have any other video that you want to put on it, the recommended method is to put your logo, etc. as the video track.

I am going to be starting posting next month I will be looking into putting them up on youtube

Amnon
06-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Well, if they claim that then there is something wrong. I uploaded yesterday's show, and right after it was done, I gor this:
"This video has been removed because it is too long.
Sorry about that."

Donovan
06-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Well, if they claim that then there is something wrong. I uploaded yesterday's show, and right after it was done, I gor this:
"This video has been removed because it is too long.
Sorry about that."

I'm not sure why they won't allow you to upload longer than 15 minutes. If you visit http://www.youtube.com/southgeekme, you'll see that my videos are well over 10 or 15 minutes.

I know that as I created my accounts, I would be notified within a few minutes that my account was now allowed to upload videos of unlimited length. The file size limit is 20GB (if memory serves me correctly).

Donovan
06-18-2012, 06:07 AM
This may shed some light on the issue. It's from their FAQ page about video length:

Why am I unable to have the upload limit increased on my account?

We are only removing the limit on video length for users who have verified their account is active and in their control via SMS, as well as for users whose accounts are in good standing, meaning they have no copyright or community guidelines violations. Content ID global blocks on even one video will lead to removal of this privilege.

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=71673

andrewzarian
06-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Yup I can Confirm that you need to give them a phone number in order to get the higher limit

Jadori
06-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I was thinking about doing some episodes on YouTube but I was concerned about the length issue so thanks everyone for clearing up my questions.

Spencer Kobren
06-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Like Mike say's, audio only uploads work! More than 22,000 views for this one...Come to think of it, I should start posting more audio interviews:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_hJUu6ElqM

Jadori
06-18-2012, 03:01 PM
I think you should. I will start doing it as well.

Amnon
06-18-2012, 07:03 PM
We are only removing the limit on video length for users who have verified their account is active and in their control via SMS
That was it :-)

Donovan
06-19-2012, 06:12 AM
That was it :-)

Very Nice!