PDA

View Full Version : Podcasting tips from the IAIB

andrewzarian
06-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Here are the rules :

We each add a tip we have found useful when it comes to podcasting

Tip # 1

Be prepared for each show.

Stick to a format and follow it. I have created a template for each show and make sure to do an hour or two of prep on the topic we will be discussing. The last thing you want is to not have anything to say.

Amnon
06-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Reboot your computers 30 minutes or so before the show.
Gremlins can hide and show themselves when least expected. Rebooting gives you a clean start.

(as far as tip #1. Over the years I have found out that the direction of our type of show cannot be set by the host. When it is a call in show with the desire to help users, preparing a show to discuss "memory" will quickly change directions when a user calls with a question about video cards, and other callers chime in.
Again, this is what I found about our show, your mileage may vary :-)

Donovan
06-15-2012, 05:27 AM
I think preparation is important. I don't mean a strict structure that can't be deviated from - that's no fun and basically turns your show into nothing more than a scripted show you'd watch/hear on TV. But I do post topics for discussion starting the day after my last show and have my co-hosts vote on them. Unless there is something special that happened that week that I want to highlight, I typically take the top 3 topics and create talking points for them. Then we just free flow over the points, letting each co-host weigh in with their own opinions. That way the personalities of each co-host comes out and you can hear the dynamic differences between us.

BradShoemaker
06-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Roll with the unexpected.

As Andrew and Donovan pointed out.. make sure you are prepared as being prepared will help when things start to become unhinged. Amnon is correct in making sure that you minimize those things that could come back to bite you during a show.

No matter how prepared you are and how well your system seems to be running, sometimes things just take the unexpected turn. Being prepared will help you deal with that, but don't always stick directly to the script. Sometimes the best shows come from that unexpected left turn (be it hardware or show topic issues).

The key is, knowing when it is a good unexpected turn and when you need to right the ship by getting back on point or fixing the hardware glitch (and that's where being prepared comes into play).

RichardCleveland
06-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Keep it interesting. Buy doing this you can build a loyal audience.

MyTakeRadio
06-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Add a bit of yourself into the product. Anyone can read the news but not everyone can connect with their audience on a personal level. Share your experiences, your stories good and bad. People like to feel close to their hosts. The feedback I saw for Southgeek in a previous post is proof of that. Remember you aren't just selling your shows but you're also selling yourselves.

Jadori
06-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Always prepare more interview questions than you think you need. You may run out of stuff to talk about and dead air is boring lol.

andrewzarian
06-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Podcasting Tip # 8

Monitor your audio while doing a show. You will be shocked to know that many Podcasters do not listen to their audio while doing a show This is a huge mistake. The only way you will learn how to adjust your audio and learn good microphone etiquette is by properly monitoring your audio. PLUG INTO A MIXER AND MONITOR YOUR AUDIO!

Formulatech
06-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Here are the rules :

We each add a tip we have found useful when it comes to podcasting

Tip # 1

Stick to a format and follow it. I have created a template for each show and make sure to do an hour or two of prep on the topic we will be discussing. The last thing you want is to not have anything to say.

Also Make sure if you are going live one a week at a set time and day make a effect not to miss weeks out it could lose listeners

RichardCleveland
06-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Consistency... if you stream live then do the live show at the same time every week and upload it to your site in a timely manner.

I would also like to stress that your audience is your bread and butter so engage them and make them feel special through the use of a chat room or twitter and facebook.

santoro
06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Know what you are talking about before the show starts. As also stated here, be ready to change as callers call in and people in chat rooms bring up things. Everyone wants to be included in the show, but also remember that it's your show. I have seen it too many times where the callers or chatters start to write the show for the hosts and it becomes too "inside." It's also important to remember that if you are doing a live show, some people may download and listen back later, so don't focus on the chat room too much.

I like the idea of rebooting machines before going live. I typically run one of the one-click cleaners and reboot about an hour before hand.

Also, I like the comment about consistency. From day 1 we have always recorded our main show on Saturday and it's always been posted at midnight on Sunday. People know when to expect it and go to get it. I hate going back to sites multiple times to try to listen to other podcasts to find that sometimes they don't post for a few days after the fact.

Do a line check before the show starts. Just because it worked yesterday doesn't mean it will work today. Cables go bad, mics go bad, equipment goes bad. Always do a line check before the show to catch those problems. And yes, listen to the show while you are recording it. I know some casters don't like to wear headphones while recording...Things sound differently when you have them on and it's easy to monitor levels. Also, if you can, buy compressors to insert in line...When setup correctly, they will keep you at the same level the entire show. They make a big difference. If you can't buy one, then look into running a multiband compressor post-production. Most DAW recording software comes with a free multiband compressor. You will notice a big difference in the waveform before and after running it. Running it after will balance out all of the levels for you. Compressors make all the difference.

andrewzarian
06-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I think checking your stuff an hour before you go live is a great idea. I have seen so many Internet Broadcasters suffer from Tech issues becasue they dont do a line check to see if things are working.

Jadori
06-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Always make sure to credit your sources of what your talking about or music that you played in your show notes.

shorter126
09-27-2012, 01:57 AM
Always turn off your phone before recording your podcast !
Learned the hard way.

andrewzarian
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
For people who missed it this was a great tip from Mike Phillips.

Understanding Mix Minus (http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/blog/understanding-aux-sends-for-mix-minus)

xmusiconline
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Great tips.. I really echo the "check things" before doing the show.. this is important if the computer your using is not for broadcast purposes 24/7...

I don't know how many times that people go to do their once a week show and during the week they installed something which adjusted an audio setting etc.. and they didn't check and they had issues broadcasting due to it.

oscarmartz
09-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Start small. dont go with a super expensive microphone. The AT2011 is great.

Amnon
09-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Start small. dont go with a super expensive microphone. The AT2011 is great.
You mean ATR2100, right?

oscarmartz
09-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Yes I mean the ATR2100.

circlecast
10-07-2013, 03:19 PM
If you are able to do your show noted the day before your show. That way they will be done and your creative juices will have time to replenish after writing. You show will be done and all you will have to do is add some small after thought notes and you are done!

Podnutter
10-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Another thing is have fun and dont do it for the money. I dont ever plan on making this my full time job so i enjoy this more. no stress

oscarmartz
09-05-2014, 07:27 PM
After reading the article posted on the IAIB Main page I have to say that its DeoxIT. Here is the link to the page http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/blog/what-every-podcaster-should-have-deoxit-d5