PDA

View Full Version : TV Networks to Add Ratings Info to Online Shows

andrewzarian
06-12-2012, 05:34 PM
The four major national broadcast networks–ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, along with Spanish-language broadcasters Telemundo, Univision and Telefutura–announced on Monday that they would add ratings and parental guidance information on TV programming that is viewed online. The new system will be in effect by December 2012.

According to a joint press release, each broadcaster will decide how to present the information, but all will post the TV ratings at the start of a show, and they will make the information available in programming listings.

The move comes as broadcasters and regulators wait on the Supreme Court’s opinion in Federal Communications Commission v. Fox Television Stations, an appeal of a federal court decision that found that the current system of enforcing rules against broadcast indecency is vague and unconstitutional. That ruling is expected this summer.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski praised the move, “I applaud the networks’ commitment to empower parents. With our rapidly changing media marketplace, it is vital parents have tools to help them make informed choices.”

http://mashable.com/2012/06/12/networks-to-add-ratings-to-online-shows/

BradShoemaker
06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
That decision could have consequences for all online broadcasters if it finds that the FCC can impose regulations on Broadcast network's online offerings.

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that we put out a warning of some kind if the shows we are providing are not for children, but we shouldn't be regulated to do so as they do with Over the Air TV stations. The reason they can impose those regulations are because the airwaves they use to broadcast on are free to the public and can be picked up by anyone.

It's also the reason that cable stations such as Comedy Central have loosened their censorship of content they provide (starting with South Park pushing the limits back in the day) as they are not part of the free UHF/VHF band. Hence when they do a roast, they do it without censorship. They, of course, self regulate and play the slightly censored version during the day so they can avoid the FCC trying to overstep it's regulatory boundaries as I feel they could do with this internet case.

andrewzarian
06-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I think you are correct Brad. The last thing we need is regulation when it comes to internet broadcasting but its the next obvious place. As the internet continues to grow millions of more people will be using it as a source for entertainment. who will want to control it? this is going to be struggle in the coming years.