PDA

View Full Version : Top Mistakes Podcasters make ?

andrewzarian
06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
what are some mistakes that Podcasters/Internet Broadcasters make?

the two mistakes I have noticed are lack of proper branding/artwork and low audio quality. What about you guys?

RadarGaming
06-13-2012, 06:12 AM
I think that a lack of a paid website is something people do. They try to use .webs or .tk and it doesnt look good.

MyTakeRadio
06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Not actively promoting their brands and wondering why their numbers are low. Not investing in equipment to improve their product.

Jadori
06-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I would say not being themselves. I listen to so many podcasters who are trying to be the radio DJ stereotype. I use my real voice no matter how manly it may sound as a lady lol. It is good for people to know who you are.

BradShoemaker
06-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I definitely think Audio is the biggest factor. It's also one that is easy to fix, yet harder to master. I know my own broadcasts are only above average and I have more updates coming trying to lift the quality.

I, personally, look at design as a major thing; however, unlike audio, depending on your topic it isn't necessarily a big hindrance. Amazon, Craigslist, etc are examples of so-so design, or no design at all, yet they serve their market well. If you are a design podcast (boagworld, for instance) then you should have excellent design.

Bottom line, no matter what the external package, if you don't have listenable audio and good content, then that becomes the mistake that will haunt you in the long run.

Jadori
06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree with that. I am always working on improving my audio.

JaseRossi
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree that audio and branding are 1000% a major key. I also think a good website and design to go along with artwork completes the package as a whole look.

Having good audio is a must because nobody wants to listen to crappy audio and yes it is also the hardest and the biggest thing you will fight with and it will drive you crazy, but that is the fun of broadcasting! :D

I also think being a dick to other broadcasters is a major bad move. I know some people want to be the biggest and baddest but crapping on other broadcasters to get there is a bad move. That is why the IAIB is awesome because it's a community of broadcasters that want to help make online broadcasting bigger and better and help each other be better broadcasters as well.

So for me I give you this little piece of advice that Wil Wheaton said.

DON'T BE A DICK!

Thank you and goodnight!

Jase

Spencer Kobren
06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Audio is #1 in my book, and in my case I think the look and feel of my studio helps my audience feel more connected to the program.

Being a Dick is ALWAYS a mistake in any business! I’ve known a lot of “big shots” in my time who fell flat on their asses only to find that they were shit out of luck when they needed a helping hand.

The IAIB is all about evolving this field, and as Jase pointed out, making each other better at what we do. Those who choose not be a part this great community are only missing out. There are no true “trade secrets” in internet broadcasting, eventually all cards are on the table and it comes down to content, drive and talent.

MyTakeRadio
06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Spencer is 100% correct. I am all for helping my internet broadcasting peers but I am also a believer that if you build your brand you need to seek out knowledge and not rely on everyone else for answers. Content, Drive and Talent are not things that someone gives you but opportunities you make for yourself. I spend hours reading, listening and learning to make my product better and anyone that wants to succeed needs to "bleed" for their brand. Guys like Spencer, Andrew bleed for their brand and if you can't invest that drive into your brand then you are destined to swim in an ocean of mediocrity. If you don't upgrade your gear, improve your audio, work on your delivery or study your content then don't be shocked if you product sucks. If it seems blunt I apologize but people need to work hard to be successful.

andrewzarian
06-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Rich brought up an interesting point about under promotion. Some people also make the mistake of over promoting their shows, blog etc... I have seen many "Podcasters" spam twitter and facebook over and over again.

MyTakeRadio
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Over promotion will make people hate you quick. Gauge your interactions and comment on other sites to organically promote your brand without looking like a spammer.

JaseRossi
06-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I send out a tweet and Facebook post when we go live and I will send one out earlier that day saying the we will be live later tonight. I also plug my shows and site any chance I get on other sites or podcasts.

What are some of your tips Andrew and Spencer? We would love to hear some! :)

andrewzarian
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
JaseRossi I think you got the hang of it. Theres a Podcast that I notice posting the same 5 tweets every 20 minutes every single day.

I also make sure to keep show promotion limited on my personal twitter.

Jadori
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
I agree that you need to study,listen and be a guest on radio and podcast shows but I also feel that a bad attitude can outweigh all of that hard work. I am still a beginner in podcasting and blogging but I have dealt with mean podcasters and bloggers that I would not want to work with in the future. I feel that the key to this business is being humble and learning from the pros and given them the proper respect that they deserve and have earned.

Spencer Kobren
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I send out a tweet and Facebook post when we go live and I will send one out earlier that day saying the we will be live later tonight. I also plug my shows and site any chance I get on other sites or podcasts.

What are some of your tips Andrew and Spencer? We would love to hear some! :)
I’m really bad when it comes to social networking, tweeting etc., but I’m starting to get more into it. I’ve built a community around my broadcast and that just kind of builds on itself to spread the word about my show...I let Andrew do the rest:)

andrewzarian
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
hahaha Yea you old school radio guys with your " Let me just show up and do a show" attitude :)

mcphillips
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
As an aside, regarding the comments earlier in this thread about audio, there are some fairly knowledgeable audio people here who are willing to help other members.

andrewzarian
06-15-2012, 04:55 AM
like who mike :) ...

Donovan
06-15-2012, 05:37 AM
I would agree that audio quality is #1 and that's audio quality of all of your co-hosts as well. One of the toughest things for me to handle is getting the audio of my co-hosts exactly where I want it. They aren't sitting their with a Heil, so my options are limited. But I think we've managed to make it work rather well. One thing we found is that using a Mumble server provides higher quality audio over Skype and since my co-hosts aren't coming in with video (they were but we stopped - hope to get that going again), Mumble works great for us.

Under and over promotion is also another mistake. If you don't promote, no one will know about you. This isn't "build it and they will come". You have to get your message out there. But again, over promotion will turn people off. I use Buffer to tweet out about 5 to 7 tweets the day AFTER our show, each one relating to an aspect of the show. I also do this on Facebook. Afterwards, I pretty much go silent until the next show. It's a delicate balance between under and over promoting your show(s).

That's been my experience, anyway. :)

mcphillips
06-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Donovan, how does the audio quality of Mumble compare with Skype? It looks like you're saying it's better. Where do you have the quality settings for Mumble? Do you have your own Murmur server, or can you use one provided by a third party?

Donovan
06-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Donovan, how does the audio quality of Mumble compare with Skype? It looks like you're saying it's better. Where do you have the quality settings for Mumble? Do you have your own Murmur server, or can you use one provided by a third party?

I did run my own server for while since my connection isn't an issue, but I decided to just farm it out to a 3rd party. In our testing, we have found that the quality of Mumble is superior than that of Skype. We're using CELT at 59.6Kbits, which is position 4.8 with 14.8 overhead. It hasn't suffered from "robotic" sound that audio in Skype has a tendency to do from time to time. Skype uses the SILK audio codec, which is a fairly good, light weight codec. But CELT seems to be superior.

I'm even thinking that when I start bringing my co-hosts back in via Skype video, we'll continue to use the Mumble server for the audio portion of it (assuming we can get the video and audio to sync up close enough).

mcphillips
06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
I'd love to know more. If I were to install the client, where would I find a third-party server?

Donovan
06-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I'd love to know more. If I were to install the client, where would I find a third-party server?

I pay for 15 slots, so I can give you access to mine if you wish to test. I created a special password protected channel for our shows so that we won't be disturbed if I've given someone else access to use the server.

If you're interested, I'll PM you the connection details.

mcphillips
06-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Sure, I'd love to test it.

andrewzarian
06-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Love to hear the results of this. We are always looking for other options

Donovan
06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Sure, I'd love to test it.

I PM'd you the connection information. Let me know if you have any questions.

podcastcoach
07-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Mistakes?
1. Trying to do it for free. What hobby (let alone business) can you do for free?
2. Blog Talk Radio (audio quality). They use this because its easy and free.
3. "Wing it." No notes, just press record and start talking.
4. Assign a designated length. "My podcast is 60 minutes." The bad news is they have 32 minutes of material
5. No album art (either in iTunes or in the mp3) Nothing says blown first impression like a gray music note.
6. They don't listen before they post (guilty as charged).
7. Don't put a player on their website (PowerPress is great for this).
8. Split host and interviewee hard left and right (many people listen with one earbud only).

I did an episode on "How NOT to start a podcast (http://schoolofpodcasting.com/how-not-to-start-a-podcast-the-dates-from-hell-story/)"

Spencer Kobren
07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Mistakes?
1. Trying to do it for free. What hobby (let alone business) can you do for free?
2. Blog Talk Radio (audio quality). They use this because its easy and free.
3. "Wing it." No notes, just press record and start talking.
4. Assign a designated length. "My podcast is 60 minutes." The bad news is they have 32 minutes of material
5. No album art (either in iTunes or in the mp3) Nothing says blown first impression like a gray music note.
6. They don't listen before they post (guilty as charged).
7. Don't put a player on their website (PowerPress is great for this).
8. Split host and interviewee hard left and right (many people listen with one earbud only).

I did an episode on "How NOT to start a podcast (http://schoolofpodcasting.com/how-not-to-start-a-podcast-the-dates-from-hell-story/)"

Welcome to the IAIB Dave. Great stuff! The only point that I would disagree with as far as my personal Internet Broadcast is conerned would be point 3. I’ve been “winging” it for 14 plus years and it has always served me well.:)

Again welcome!.

Linuxcooldude
07-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I also think being a dick to other broadcasters is a major bad move. I know some people want to be the biggest and baddest but crapping on other broadcasters to get there is a bad move. That is why the IAIB is awesome because it's a community of broadcasters that want to help make online broadcasting bigger and better and help each other be better broadcasters as well.

So for me I give you this little piece of advice that Wil Wheaton said.

DON'T BE A DICK!

Thank you and goodnight!

Jase

I've had problems with this once. Joined a google+ hangout with a fairly well known youtuber ( Only because I knew someone who joined ) only to be made fun of 20 seconds later after he found out I broadcast. I told him I don't know why he would feel so threatened by me and would take it as a compliment...lol. I've worked with many broadcasters in a network once and we all helped each other out and went on each others shows. Cross promotion is a great way to gain an audience and viewers.

PaulSaunders
05-23-2014, 09:46 PM
For sure its getting comfortable. Many of my favorite podcasters have gotten very comfortable and no longer try to gain new viewers. Something that also happens is taking weeks off. I have a podcast that I'm about to cancel from my RSS because they have not released a show in 3 weeks

podcastcoach
05-24-2014, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE= I have a podcast that I'm about to cancel from my RSS because they have not released a show in 3 weeks[/QUOTE]

I've never understood this. It takes nothing to stay subscribed, in many cases people have kids, etc. I have a few shows that I do on a "when I find something worth saying" basis. Is it you just feel they've walked away and so you might as well?

Richardpell
03-15-2015, 11:05 AM
I would have to say one of the mistakes I see (I am new to all of this) is that people are trying to make money really early. Shouldnt we take the time to build out quality and audience first?

podcastcoach
03-15-2015, 11:41 AM
I would have to say one of the mistakes I see (I am new to all of this) is that people are trying to make money really early. Shouldnt we take the time to build out quality and audience first?

According to the book Beyond Powerful Radio it takes THREE years to build a loyal audience. But you're right. People need to know, like, and trust you before they buy your stuff and that takes time. This is why people quit before they get to episode 7 as they have put in some work and have very little to show for it.

Richardpell
03-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Thank you Dave. I am a fan of your content.