PDA

View Full Version : Logitech C922 Webcam (Sept 2016)

MovieBuff
09-30-2016, 06:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSMkvl5igS0

Meh.

mjgraves
10-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Nice step up from the C920, but not revolutionary.

- Still only USB 2.0
- Background replacement at 720p30 only.
- No background replacement at 720p60 or 1080p30.
- Low-light performance may be improved over the C920.

This implies that The Personify software that does the background replacement only understands an uncompressed stream, likely YUY2.

It performs the background replacement, making the processed stream available to other apps as a virtual webcam. I wonder about the load presented to the host computer. It could be considerable.

Razer's StarGazer may be the better choice. USB3 connection permits uncompressed at any supported resolution or frame rate.

MovieBuff
10-13-2016, 07:29 AM
They need to have better resolutions. Might as well stick with a DSLR/camcorder with a clean HDMI/HD-SDI output.

Nice step up from the C920, but not revolutionary.

- Still only USB 2.0
- Background replacement at 720p30 only.
- No background replacement at 720p60 or 1080p30.
- Low-light performance may be improved over the C920.

This implies that The Personify software that does the background replacement only understands an uncompressed stream, likely YUY2.

It performs the background replacement, making the processed stream available to other apps as a virtual webcam. I wonder about the load presented to the host computer. It could be considerable.

Razer's StarGazer may be the better choice. USB3 connection permits uncompressed at any supported resolution or frame rate.

mjgraves
10-13-2016, 07:49 AM
They need to have better resolutions. Might as well stick with a DSLR/camcorder with a clean HDMI/HD-SDI output.

Resolution is not the problem. The C922 does 1080p30 by leveraging in-camera MJPEG or H264 compression. This is exactly how the older C920 worked.

I also have a Canon 70D DSLR that I use occasionally. It only delivers 1080p30 via the HDMI output, which I have to ingest using an AVER HDMI capture card. Even then, it requires that I run the Magic Lantern firmware to get a clean output.

IMHO, the DSLR is more trouble than it's worth.