PDA

View Full Version : Best Cameras at different price points?

MeatballCB
06-03-2012, 06:08 PM
What cameras are people using for recording/streaming video?

We've been testing a few with Skype and have been pretty happy with the results from the Logitech C920, but the model before that, the C910, has given us all sorts of issues.

mcphillips
06-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I use the C910, the C920, and the LifeCam Cinema. All work great. For the Logitechs, make sure you install the latest drivers for them.

MyTakeRadio
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Lifecam Studio for me.

Donovan
06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
I have the Logitech C615 and C920 along with two Lifecam Studio cams. The Lifecam Studios far exceed the quality of the Logitech units in my testing. A quality product from Microsoft - who would have thunk it? LOL

MeatballCB
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
The Logitechs all seem to have this habit of constantly jumping around in resolution. The Lifecam's do that as well?

Donovan
06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
The Logitechs all seem to have this habit of constantly jumping around in resolution. The Lifecam's do that as well?

Keeping in mind the low cost of these cameras, I do have to set them back up almost every time I fire up my software. But the Logitechs seem to be worse than the Lifecams. Granted it's usually just a quick select auto everything, then deselect and save in the Logitech software, but it gets annoying after a while. The Lifecams don't seem to do it as often.

MeatballCB
06-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah, I don't know why Skype won't let you lock your camera at a set resolution and just leave it alone. :)

cseeman
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
More generally I like using Sony EX1 for live streaming in the field. 1/2" gives good low light performance.

I may be looking at large sensor cameras soon. Key is that those cameras may need a bit more care to setup if you want to avoid Shallow DOF, if you're tracking a subject through focal planes.

Blackmagic Digital Cinema camera looks interesting.
I'm hoping they make the Thunderbolt out more useful though. The idea that one can use it sans video i/o box is attractive. The issue is that it only sends 2.5k frame size at the moment and it'll need drivers and Blackmagic told me they may be as much as six months away from doing that.

I like using Canon Vixia's for small inexpensive HDMI based cameras.

I use Logitech C910 for webcam. Wirecast works stellar with this (and Lifecam Studio).

andrewzarian
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
We have a mixed environment when it comes to video. We use a Canon hf200 for the main shot. 1 Logitech c910 and 2 Microsoft Lifecam Cinemas. When it comes to Webcams the c910/920 is the best.

Donovan
06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
We have a mixed environment when it comes to video. We use a Canon hf200 for the main shot. 1 Logitech c910 and 2 Microsoft Lifecam Cinemas. When it comes to Webcams the c910/920 is the best.

I have to disagree with you on the c910/c920 being the best. I have two Lifecam Studios and one C920 and the quality of the Studios kick the crap out of the C920. Plus the control/tweaking software for the Studios works so much better than Logitech's software.

But, that's just been my personal experience. I have never used the Lifecam Cinemas.

andrewzarian
06-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Actually Donavan you do have a point. There is a reason why we use both cameras. the c910 does better in low light situations but not so great when its a bright room.