PDA

View Full Version : Google Hangouts gets Higher Video Quality

andrewzarian
11-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Great news for everyone using Hangouts to produce their Podcast.

I have yet to get the update but im really interested in seeing how much better the video quality is. Skype still stands as the best overall package when it comes to audio and video over a free solution.

If Google has drastically improved its video quality this might be a game changer for many who are sitll using Skype.

http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/images/uploads/hangouts-web-video-call-redesign.jpg

yakk0dotorg
11-10-2015, 09:46 AM
this specifically mentions Hangout calling via web, not Hangouts On Air. Do you think it'll be for both? Right now we switch from Skype to Hangouts for a video portion of our show then back to Skype because the lag is less on Skype. If Hangouts improves on video quality and lag, we might have an easier workflow going forward.

andrewzarian
11-10-2015, 08:17 PM
I believe the overall interface will be adopted in both Hangouts on air and hangout calling via web. The overall reaction has been negative to the interface. It removes a lot of the features that people like for on air hangouts ( Ex. Lower thirds)

It is still a beta and they are slowly rolling it out. I would assume some of these features will be added back later on.

yakk0dotorg
11-11-2015, 07:26 AM
it looks to me like most of the complaints were due to what was seen in the screenshot. Has anyone actually been given access to this new interface yet? It might be a lot of noise over nothing.

andrewzarian
11-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Thats a great point. I dont see it yet nor do I know anyone that has it yet.

Dana
11-11-2015, 08:51 AM
I consider myself a Googler. I use their webmaster tools as well as a lot of their apps.

Podnutter
12-03-2015, 07:15 AM
I just saw the new hangouts yesterday. Man it sucks. No more control over video quality. its very standard and a step backwards

sunkast
12-14-2015, 12:02 PM
I just saw the new hangouts yesterday. Man it sucks. No more control over video quality. its very standard and a step backwards

Agreed. I find everything they announced to be completely false. The video quality is not better and the interface is actually worse.

oscarmartz
12-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Can I say WOW. This is a totally disaster. It looks like crap. You have no control over the quality. I can not beleive this is the "new" hangouts

NASNTrevor
12-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Never bothered with Google Hangouts, quality & watchability was never quite up to par for a broadcast, IMO.

I've actually moved to ipDTL's video solution recently and I'm very impressed so far. You can select both your audio & video bitrates, I've found the quality to be vastly superior to Skype so far and it runs in browser.

I have no affiliation to ipDTL, been broadcasting daily, mostly with Skype, for a few years now and it's been a game changer for me.

mjgraves
05-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Any service that's designed to be very easy for the end user is likely not going to expose the kind of control that would be desired by someone who cares about video quality.

It happens that my co-host and I interviewed the founder of ipDTL in VUC590.

https://www.vuc.me/2016/vuc590-inquality-media-presents-ipdtl-a-webrtc-based-service-for-broadcast-media-contribution/

Our podcast/Hangout is focused on IP telecom topics. We've been watching and using WebRTC since its inception.

Two years ago we had a couple of session using Jitsi Video Bridge (https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiVideobridge), which is an open source alternative to Hangouts. We were the very first to make significant public use of the project.

It makes it possible to run your own service, having control of every setting. OTOH, that makes you responsible for every aspect of it.