PDA

View Full Version : Why all the talk About Money and not building an Audience

Richardpell
11-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Im still pretty new to podcasting. I have only been around for about a year or so but I have noticed a strange trend recently. Its all about the money. Almost every question I see on Facebook and other sites is " How can I make money with my podcast". Shouldn't we be talking about methods of growing our audience rather then talking about money.

I listened to a Blab that Mike Phillips hosted over the weekend and it was interesting to see how many people were considering making money with their podcaster instead of growing the audience. Andrew Zarian was also in the blab and pretty much said that if you have an audience advertisers will come to you.

Anyone have a link to that video

Dana
11-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Hey Brother. We must have went to the same sites this weekend. :) I also just put up a post about making money through Podcasting, this morning. I also watched a video with Mike Phillips in it, yesterday. As far as I know, I have read just about every article Mike has written, concerning audio, or at least everyone I could find through Google. I just found this other show he was on @ http://www.nissancommunications.com/playarchive.php?id=xiBdU4TOdXc.

In my article I wrote this morning, I mentioned nothing about growing your audience. Not only is it a very good point that you bring up, it will and does, have an impact on the amount of money, you can make. My post deals more with the different ways you can, as a Podcaster, try and bring in some income. Thanks for the post and if you do find the link to the video, please post it. I enjoy listening to people from this forum in the middle of the night, as I am working.

Very seldom do I watch the video, I just listen. When something catches my ear, I stop what I am doing, go to the video, rewind it for a few seconds then watch it, till they move on to another subject. Then it's back to work. Anyway, it works for me.

Podnutter
11-10-2015, 06:51 AM
I have also wondered the same thing many times. I have never considered making any sort of money with Podcasting. I have a day job and do this for fun.

Is there a set number of listeners you need to have before you can make a living doing this? Like is it 100,000 downloads? 20,000 downloads?

Dana
11-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Is there a set number of listeners you need to have before you can make a living doing this? Like is it 100,000 downloads? 20,000 downloads?

If you want, you can view the post I made yesterday, concerning this very issue. It is what I have found, through my own experience, as well as viewing other Top Players, in the Podcasting Field. I simply go to their Patreon Page and see how many people are supporting them.

It is similar to a "Go Fund Me" site. Some of these Podcasters, have tens of thousands of followers as well as the highest rankings for Podcasting, yet, the highest amount that I have found so far, makes about $100.00 a month from contributions. 90% of them, are doing nothing more then supporting each other, like a network. You send me money and I will send you money, type of deal. It's like a bar tender, putting their own money into their own tip jar, to get people to tip. Just my opinion.

To answer your question, yes. It will take a certain amount of consistent downloads before an advertiser is willing to work with you. Each have their own requirements. You can view my post here, it goes into a little more detail on this subject. http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/showthread.php/2726-Can-I-make-Money-Podcasting

(http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/showthread.php/2726-Can-I-make-Money-Podcasting)

Dana
11-10-2015, 11:33 AM
I listened to a Blab that Mike Phillips hosted over the weekend and it was interesting to see how many people were considering making money with their podcaster instead of growing the audience. Andrew Zarian was also in the blab and pretty much said that if you have an audience advertisers will come to you. Anyone have a link to that video

I am not sure if this is the link you are looking for, but it what I found, according to your description. I listened to about 20 min of it, then clicked it off. My opinion, nothing but a boat load of Bull Sh*t and hypocrites!

noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Here is your link. https://blab.im/41dcc80b240d4efaa0dc09029a0f9e4d

andrewzarian
11-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I am not sure if this is the link you are looking for, but it what I found, according to your description. I listened to about 20 min of it, then clicked it off. My opinion, nothing but a boat load of Bull Sh*t and hypocrites!

noun 1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Here is your link. https://blab.im/41dcc80b240d4efaa0dc09029a0f9e4d

Dana Who are you talking about?

Dana
11-10-2015, 01:31 PM
First things first. Did you click on the link I provided? Second, be real careful, when you ask that question, as I have no desire to piss this forum off. If you ask me to explain, I will, but it will be backed by 100% fact, and it will not represent this forum, in a positive manner. I am always open to discussion, but I have no desire to participate with anyone, that has a destructive personality. So, your call Andrew, you want to hear it or not?

andrewzarian
11-10-2015, 01:33 PM
I really would like to know who you think is a hypocrite and full of it...

Dana
11-10-2015, 01:41 PM
I really would like to know who you think is a hypocrite and full of it...No problem. I will start the write up. Give me 30 mins. You never did say if you clicked on the link!

andrewzarian
11-10-2015, 01:44 PM
I did click on it. :)

Dana
11-10-2015, 02:33 PM
I did click on it. :)

Not only do I check this forum every day, I have it listed on my sites, as well as the intro on my podcasts. This forum was designed for Broadcasters. It is my opinion that it was only opened to Podcasters, as it was not being supported by the people, it was intended to serve. How do I know this? Simple, just go back and look at the dates, of the last posts. 2012, 2013, 2014. I sent Mike Philips an e-mail, months ago, informing him that I had asked to join this forum, with no reply.

His response, anyone can join for free. This is not what I meant. I went to the broadcaster side, and applied to join. No response. I asked you to contact me, I gave you an 800 number. Your reply, e-mail me. My reply, as far as I know, you e-mail address is nowhere on this forum. Do broadcasters have a grudge against podcasters? F-N a right, most of them do. Not all, just most.

I watched the video on Blab with members of this forum. Your audio sucks, as well as your video skipping, like it did when the TV was first invented. I watched as they bashed, people in the podcasting industry, that make a living teaching others how to do it. I watched as they referred to them as snake oil salesmen, only to go to their sites, and find out they were selling their services, as well as begging for money through their “Donations” links.

Broadcasters somehow think that because they were raised in an industry that had to spent 100’s of thousands of dollars to produce a quality sound, now somehow, think they can now come in, and teach a Podcaster, by their rules. To late! Just like Howard Stern, Podcasters are wasting their time.

It amazes me how Broadcasters, now run a Podcasting Site. Even on this forum. Maybe it has something to do with PBR losing so many listeners, that they have turned to the Podcasting community, to see how they can fix their rapidly declining listener base. Is there animosity, you better believe it!

This forum is now consumed with 99% of podcasters posting. You made a wise decision Andrew, when you opened this door, for podcasters to join. How do I know this statement is true? Just click on the “What’s New” button on this forum, then read the post.

So, to Mike Philips and his crew that has links on their sites, begging for money, mention that the next time you start demining people, for helping others, at a cost. I am sure Mike gives his services away for free, as an attorney, even though he spent tens of thousands of dollars for his education.

Your show on Blab talks about the mics, soundboards, processors that broadcasters use. Next Sunday Mike, I will call into your show. We will talk about the $380,000.00 rack system we use for recording, and as you do so well, I will make you look like a fool, in a non partisan way. I will have your crew Googling the systems that I will rattle off, just for the fact that the people you work for, more then likely, can’t afford to buy the top of the line equipment. That one piss ant you got, Jeff Adams, he is so full of crap, I can smell his breath through my speakers. Just so you know, $60,000 Lipskys.

So, to sum this up, if you want to go out in public and start belittling people for making a living, teaching others how to Podcast, please take the links down from your own site, where anyone can Google the information, and do it on their own as well!

Broadcaster verses Podcaster. Get real! Stick with what you know, as far as podcasting goes, all you can really do, is suggest what mic to use. It must really piss you off, knowing that you have spent a career, doing something, that now, anyone can do for $200.00, and get the same results you can, after spending tens of thousands.

This will be my last post. Not because I am pissed off, which I am. But because I have made several other post, with no reply’s. Maybe it has something to do with Broadcasters, only replying to Broadcasters. One more thing. Does anyone want to know what was told to NPR, on how to salvage their situation? Three words. START A PODCAST!

RadarGaming
11-10-2015, 02:51 PM
The people they bashed for making a "living", are the people that claim buying a podcast class through them will make you money. Anyone that claims they can help you make money podcasting is full of it. No class is gonna take a crappy podcaster from nothing to fame, that's not how it works.

BTW no one is begging for money. At least not on Mike or his "crews" site. We don't change for helping people......

Dana
11-10-2015, 03:08 PM
The people they bashed for making a "living", are the people that claim buying a podcast class through them will make you money. Anyone that claims they can help you make money podcasting is full of it. No class is gonna take a crappy podcaster from nothing to fame, that's not how it works.

BTW no one is begging for money. At least not on Mike or his "crews" site. We don't change for helping people......

Really! I guess you did not bother to watch the video they have out! Both on Blab as well as on Mikes Sunday Morning show. It is really hard to dispute something , when you can watch it for yourself. I see by your signature, you are hawking your own services as well. As a matter of fact, the two months I have been posting on this forum, I see this is the first post / response you have made. Maybe the troops are gathering.

As far as Mikes Sunday Morning show begging for money, you can find the link here my friend. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=QW-s74JiXcZzfwFxPfTLOnqdcwhQlLWQsr8iLi8evuIOkq9ZYn6RN aJZONm&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d64ad11bbf 4d2a5a1a0d303a50933f9b2

Kind of hard to dispute it, when you can view it for yourself!

RadarGaming
11-10-2015, 03:19 PM
It's very clear you haven't watched "Mikes Sunday Show" very often. As I am on it every week. Speaking of promoting services. I see your Podcast School link in your signature. Does that mean you are begging for money? That's very hypocritical if you ask me.

Dana
11-10-2015, 03:35 PM
It's very clear you haven't watched "Mikes Sunday Show" very often. As I am on it every week. Speaking of promoting services. I see your Podcast School link in your signature. Does that mean you are begging for money? That's very hypocritical if you ask me.

With all do respect, if you read my post that started this, you will see where I stated that video, then I clicked it off, 20 mins in. I did recognize you, as the last show you did, you were called out by the Host because you did nothing but argue with him, on a subject you clearly had no knowledge of. Then you got so pissed off, you walked off the show. It is clearly in the video.

As far as my signature goes, like I said, I promote this forum on the front page of my website, unlike your website, as well as mention them in the into of all my podcast.

One more thing, I see by your profile page, the last post you made was back in August of this year, before that, it was in May. Here again, not my opinion, all one has to do, is click on your profile page to see what I am saying, is in fact, a fact. Wow, two post in 7 months! Thanks for joining in and supporting this forum!

techzentv
11-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Hey Dana, nice to meet you.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I think you might be a little oversensitive at this point. The people are you talking about on here (mike, nick, amnon even andrew) I have known for quite some time now and these people will help you just for the asking. They do not give a price quote to help, they just help. I do not think having a donate button is anywhere close to being hypocritical because that is an optional thing just for the people that appreciate the help.

Without trying to sound defensive, we have all had bad experiences with podcast "coaches" that charge large amounts of money and convince people that unless you pay them for an entire weekend course and buy the equipment from them you will not succeed. Those are the snake oil salesman that they are talking about.

I do not think they are referring to the people that are truly trying to help people and charging for it. I have heard of some very dumb things that people were told to do by some of these coaches. Unfortunately I compare these folks to the same folks that were pushing internet marketing a few years back telling everyone they could get rich quick.

Dana, please know I am saying this to you because I know nothing about podcasting university, you may be different and good for you, I wish you luck on changing the general feeling of podcast coaches. I have seen some of the same things that mike apparently said so I understand where he is coming from and I am sure he was not pointing the finger directly at you, and I understand why that could be offensive to you as well. I am sure you can think of one or two "coaches" that fit the description above.

BTW... I do not think this forum was created just for broadcasters initially since it was created by Andrew and Spencer who are podcasters, Spencer used to be on XM and broadcasting. I think the intent was truly to include podcasters as well as broadcasters. Andrew can correct me if I am wrong. Most of the people I know on here are podcasters.

And yes, it has been a while since I posted, I mostly read because I do not have enough time these days for posting here or even on my own blog.

I hope you stick around, I am sure you can help people on here.

RadarGaming
11-10-2015, 04:06 PM
With all do respect, if you read my post that started this, you will see where I stated that video, then I clicked it off, 20 mins in. I did recognize you, as the last show you did, you were called out by the Host because you did nothing but argue with him, on a subject you clearly had no knowledge of. Then you got so pissed off, you walked off the show. It is clearly in the video.

As far as my signature goes, like I said, I promote this forum on the front page of my website, unlike your website, as well as mention them in the into of all my podcast.

One more thing, I see by your profile page, the last post you made was back in August of this year, before that, it was in May. Here again, not my opinion, all one has to do, is click on your profile page to see what I am saying, is in fact, a fact. Wow, two post in 7 months! Thanks for joining in and supporting this forum!

First off what does my post status have to do with this conversation?

You seem to be a big fan of facts so let me give you some. A donation is not begging for money, fact, On "Mikes Sunday Show" we have never even mentioned that donation button its just on the side of the webpage.

The reason you are so pissed off about this is because they are calling you out for charging people $1200 for a "Podcasting Course", fact. You don't know Mike personally and are making a bunch of BS claims because they are calling you what you are. A scammer.

Speaking of having no knowledge you are teaching people to podcast when you clearly have no knowledge. So before you call people out. Stop being such a hypocrite.

Dana
11-10-2015, 04:10 PM
@ Mike Myers. Thank you for your reply. Believe it or not, I have very thick skin. We started our system, due to the fact of what you just posted. We also were fed up with all the mis-information concerning the Podcasting World. So we did something about it. We invested 10's of thousand of dollars, to take someone with no experience to being able to host a professional Podcast show, then present it on a professional website. I answer close to 300 e-mails per week, concerning this issue free of charge.

I try to be active on this forum, giving advice, free of charge. Look at any of my post, they are backed with links to help people find the answer to their questions, as well as a very up beat replies of encouragement. I have never solicited anyone to take our course, in this forum, and like I said, I promote this forum on my websites, front page, first billing, as well as in my intros. As far as the purpose of this forum, with all do respect, just look at the name.

Like I said, I asked to join on the Broadcasters side, I filled out the request form, no reply. I see the title you have over your member name states: Broadcaster. There is not one single thing I said in my post, just read it, I had no desire to even post it, but Andrew want to hear it, that I have not backed up by fact.

Now, all I can do is assume that Andrew put the word out, yet he has failed to respond. That kid that walked off his own show, that made a few posts above, really needs to do as he was advised by the Host of his show, and sit back, keep his mouth shut and his ears open. He may just learn something. Just like the host of his own show, told him, in a very polite way.

To go live on a video and badmouth someone for anything, just to have the same thing on your own site, is not a very good way to promote trust in any community. Nobody on this forum can tell me that I do not see, what I see, in this video. No where do they state they are protecting someone from anyone that may rip them off, taking money to teach them how to podcast. In fact, they go to the extreme to include everyone, in that same group. Here again, it is really hard to "Mis-understand" something, that you can rewind and play over and over again.

Dana
11-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Speaking of having no knowledge you are teaching people to podcast when you clearly have no knowledge. So before you call people out. Stop being such a hypocritical.

@Mike Myers. See, this guy just made my point about being lumped in with everyone else. Now on to you. They never called me a scammer. I never said that they attacked me on a personal level. Second, what does your posting history have to do with this? Quite a bit, as it seems the only time you post is when you can argure with someone. That's what got you kicked off your own show to begion with.

I will open my bank account to this forum, showing that we have our first two classes booked. 20 members per class at $1200.00 each. Man, that must really piss you off. Only stipulation is, you go first.

Just curioues, you still live in your parents basement, or do you really make a living designing websites?

RadarGaming
11-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Is that the best you got? I can see why you got kicked off your own show. Go home little boy!

The fact that this the only thing you are going to refer to in my post just proves its true. Enjoy your little podcast school.

Can we get a link to this podcast you have?

Dana
11-10-2015, 04:26 PM
The fact that this the only thing you are going to refer to in my post just proves its true. Enjoy your little podcast school.

Can we get a link to this podcast you have?

l do you one better, I will place you on the ignore list, in my settings. Like I said, you got kicked off your own show, go argue with them! You are no where close to being worth my time!

RadarGaming
11-10-2015, 04:42 PM
@Mike Myers. See, this guy just made my point about being lumped in with everyone else. Now on to you. They never called me a scammer. I never said that they attacked me on a personal level. Second, what does your posting history have to do with this? Quite a bit, as it seems the only time you post is when you can argure with someone. That's what got you kicked off your own show to begion with.

I will open my bank account to this forum, showing that we have our first two classes booked. 20 members per class at $1200.00 each. Man, that must really piss you off. Only stipulation is, you go first.

Just curioues, you still live in your parents basement, or do you really make a living designing websites?

I currently am going to college so I do live with my parents. 40 people signed up for your course, you have 1 Facebook like and 2 twitter followers and 52 views on YouTube. Very interesting

andrewzarian
11-10-2015, 05:34 PM
This thread has taken a very bizarre turn. I will try my best to break it down

1. Dana: The IAIB site is open for anyone creating video/audio content. From day one the IAIB has been open to podcasters, traditional broadcasters, internet broadcasters, and Youtubers. We created the site to provide a place for people to come and ask for advice, and meet others that create similar content. To me, internet broadcasting and podcasting is the same thing. There is no bias against either or. Most of our members from day one have been podcasters. We also have a section for industry providers. Meaning if you have a resource Ex. coaching, Hosting, and imaging we provide a palace for you to promote and discuss what you do.

2. Registration to the IAIB is open and FREE for everyone. The forum and the main site have separate registration, that might be the confusion here. Anyone can sign up and get in. We do not turn people away from being part of the site. Link : http://www.ibroadcastnetwork.org/member/signup. I see that you stated that you requested to have a broadcaster status. where did you send that request?

3. There is a general IAIB email address on the main site. info@ibroadcastnetwork.org. That is the only email we provide on the site. I receive all emails that are sent to that address. I do not publish my personal email address on this site or any other site.

I cant speak for anyone else other than myself but I can tell you first hand that we welcome everyone to this site. There are plenty of people who are charging for podcast/broadcast coaching out there that are doing a service for the industry. Many of them have been active on this site in the past. Dave Jackson, Daniel J Lewis, and Ray Ortega are three that come to mind right now. I don't think anyone is talking about them. However there are plenty of people that are doing "Podcast Coaching" who in my opinion are not qualified to do so. It seems that based on the success of a very small group of coaches people have taken the opportunity to profit with very bad info. I also don't think anyone was pointing a finger at you, personally I am not all that familiar with your website.

Beyond this I am not too sure what else to say. I am still very confused as to when this thread went off the rail. There have been a lot of accusations in this thread that are just not correct.

I hope this post cleared things up for everyone.

Andrew

PaulSaunders
11-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I have been on this site for years and this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this lol. Mike and a few other OG's have been helping people for years I dont know what your issue is with him. And no I dont know him personally or spoken to him outside of this site.

Dana I think you have have provided some great stuff on here but this is where im going to tell you that you are totally off. As someone who runs a school and business you should handle the situation a little bit better. No one came out and insulted you or your product. From what I can see people have been very welcoming to you.

This entire thread is... wow. Im going to go and enjoy my drink now.

Dana
11-10-2015, 06:33 PM
This thread has taken a very bizarre turn. I will try my best to break it down. Andrew

Fair enough Andrew. Now, here is my break down. On the front page of this site, you feature Broadcasters. That is where I applied for membership. You have 32 pages, all members carry the title of Broadcaster. After you fill out the form, it states you request will placed under review, to the best of my knowledge, as I applied well over a month ago.

I had no idea of anyone's show on Blab or Computers2KNow. I found them both by accident, simply going from link, to link to link. I answered a question from the OP, who asked if anyone knew of the link to Mike on Blab. I replied with the link, as well as my opinion of the show. That is when you stepped in.

Had you told me about using the e-mail link at the bottom of the site, I would have done so. I did reply back to you that I could not locate your e-mail, yet you never replied back, to say where it could be found. I guess I will bite the bullet on that one, though I truly had no idea, the link went to you.

I told you I did not even want to get into this issue, yet you insisted. I knew better. So I will bite the bullet on that one as well. As far as the big names in Podcasting, being members of this site. You are correct. The fact that they have not posted in this forum for years, leads me to believe that have simply moved on. I am seldom impressed by anyone's title in Podcasting, just so you know. That is the same reason I have never had an interest to go to a podcast movement event.

I have been called a scammer in this thread, by a 20 something year old, still living in his parents basement, that has no clue whatsoever, on what the outside world has in store for him, when he does leave the nest, and has to make it on his own. He made a comment that I only have 53 views on YouTube, 2 Followers on Twitter and so on. To be honest with you, somebody is waisting their money on this kids education. He was able to see my social sites, he should have seen where we very clearly have it stated, that we do not even kick off till Jan 4th, 2016. Image that!

We target Corporations, Companies as well as the occasional, lone individual, to teach them how to podcast, along with setting up their platform to do so, ie, their WP website. I have stated that on this very forum. That's what happens when you only post 2 times in 7 months, you have no clue what goes on or what people are talking about. So, here is the run down.

Yes we do charge money. Yes we do give free advice, both through e-mails, as well as forums, such as this. Yes we do have 10's of thousands of dollars invested. Yes, we have advised potential members on our website, as well as this very forum, that if you think you can just start podcasting and make money, you will fail. Period. Look at my post on this forum, you will see that statement. Yes we do have the knowledge to do as we say, from Collage Educated Instructors, that earned their Masters, in the field of audio engineering.

No, we do not promote anyone in this field that provides people with a false hope of getting rich in the podcasting field. Yes we do teach people how they can produce a broadcast quality audio file for under $250.00, not thousands. Yes we have very solid business plan for making this project work. Yes, all of our sites as well as programs are paid in full till 2025. Yes, we do have millions of dollars in audio equipment. No, we have no desire to mislead anyone, regardless of what we do, in anything in life, podcasting being at the bottom of the list.

Yes, every affiliate you see listed on our website, has sent us an e-mail granting us permission to state the fact that we are indeed affiliated with them. Yes, we do have affiliate links to 95% of them. Just as I have stated on this very forum, it is my opinion, this is the best route for a podcaster, to start producing some income, till they can build their listener base. Yes, I have used this system, long before podcasters, even had a clue.

So, how did this thread get off track? Because I gave my opinion, when I should have keep my mouth shut! I guess I will bite the bullet on that one as well. I guess I will be like everybody else. Pop in about 4 times a year, just to see what is going on. I am no different then anyone else Andrew, just a man, cramming 30 hours into a 18 hour day, six days a week, doing something that feels nothing like a job. I enjoy what I do, however, I do not enjoy this. Take care!

Dana
11-10-2015, 06:39 PM
I have been on this site for years and this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this lol. Mike and a few other OG's have been helping people for years I dont know what your issue is with him. And no I dont know him personally or spoken to him outside of this site.

Dana I think you have have provided some great stuff on here but this is where im going to tell you that you are totally off. As someone who runs a school and business you should handle the situation a little bit better. No one came out and insulted you or your product. From what I can see people have been very welcoming to you.

This entire thread is... wow. Im going to go and enjoy my drink now.

Here again Paul, I suggest you start at the beginning of this thread and read it all. I clearly stated I did not want to get into this and now I guess, what I see in front of me in a video, is just my imagination.

andrewzarian
11-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Dana I am still confused as to what upset you? Were you attacked in the video that you posted. I listened to the first 20 min and didn't hear anyone mention you. Let me know where I missed it. Might have skipped over a few seconds. I dont think anyone was even suggestion that you are one of the bad guys.

The IAIB main site registration goes to my email and I have approved everything that I have received. Just yesterday we approved two people. I don't see a request from you. regardless we provide an invite code for everyone to use and its on the registration page. June2014 is the code

http://i.imgur.com/RkVP3Dk.png

Best
Andrew

PaulSaunders
11-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Here again Paul, I suggest you start at the beginning of this thread and read it all. I clearly stated I did not want to get into this and now I guess, what I see in front of me in a video, is just my imagination.

I did listen to the video. but I dont know what I am listening for. It is the opinion of 3 people that there are people taking advantage of others. I think that is true for all industry. People choose to pay people. If they get something out of it thats great. If not . well it was a waste.

wish you the best Dana hope you stick around and get to know guys like Mike. he along with the others here are good people.

Time to go watch some TV

Richardpell
11-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Dana the video I was discussing was not the one you posted. I have learned a lot today......

techzentv
11-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Hey Dana,

I am hesitant to even respond but I hope to be able to explain maybe why some of the resistance you are getting. I have only been podcasting for just over 2 years now, I am the baby in this group and am learning every day. But I come from a live video and audio production background. To put it in terms that I am sure you’ll get more than most. I 2 or 3 times a week run a Yamaha CL5 at a fixed install with 90% of the channels in use at my church. Been doing that for 20 years and have gone through ML5000s, PM1D’s and more. We are called the “rock” church because of our musical style. I regularly use the QL and a M32 as well and have an M32 in my studio (small compared to your friend’s studio). I have quite a bit of audio and video experience, but very new to podcasting compared to others here.

I was interested in learning more about you so I started doing some research. Found the virginia podcast and the confederate podcast, found the 3 podcasting 101 audio podcast and the video podcasts on youtube.

That is where I started running into some issues. First, and I mean this as constructive as I can say it, your audio is not very good. Not broadcast quality for sure.

I also learned that you just started podcasting in April of this year and in a post you make this statement: “I have 0 experience producing a podcast. However, that will change daily!”. In that same post you also mention 2 websites (podcasterblog.com and podcastingforum.net) that now seem to be defunct.

In this same post you mention you can create your podcast with free software and a $20 Walmart headset. In your example, it sounds like it was created with a $20 headset and free software. Not broadcast quality for sure. It sounds like you are using the default engine in Audacity for output. BTW… The post I am referring to is: https://www.danatucker.com/podcast/

I also found another post at https://www.danatucker.com/podcast/?p=693 titled “Should I pay To Learn How To Podcast”. Reading this I get the answer that no you should not. You do say that your first thought is NO but go into it more, but reading it I still come back with no. You have every right to charge for a course, but this post and what you have been saying in the past few post on the forum contradict the argument. Makes it feel very wishy washy.

Also, how can someone who just started podcasting suddenly be a podcasting coach and teach classes? There is much more to podcasting than good audio. There is community building, engagement, content, etc. Just good audio will not make you succeed. From what I see you have no track record in successful podcasting. I even heard one of your dummy’d up intros, very cheesy.

I also looked at your Designs by Dana website where you talk about SEO. The Podcasting University site which is really podcastingschool.org has in the title tag Podcasting University which is a mismatch and an SEO no no. I also when searching for Podcasting University in google do not find you on the first page. On your own website there is a password protected page on the main menu. Not a great design there. How can you teach promotion, marketing, SEO, distribution, etc. if you do not do it on your own websites.

I am not trying to dig at you and why I was so hesitant to respond. What I think is fueling this negative thread is it feel like (even if it was not intentional) you are coming in throwing around you have all this money, experience, clout, etc. You might have the financial backing and that is good but looking at the evidence of work and history in this field have a long way to go (as do I) before you get to rock star status. Coming in with guns blazing, then people do what I did and it feels like you are just blowing smoke, kind of like some of the other coaches they were referring to in the video. Not saying that you are, but that could be the perception that is being received.

My only suggestion is be yourself, don’t try to be something your not, you will get a lot more respect from the community if you are humble and admit what you do not know.

One last note, I have known Nick for a while now, I will say he does tend to get angry easy and I think he would admit to that, but he is a very smart young man that has a bright future ahead of him. I bet you were still living at home at his age ;)

Dana, again this was not an attack on but the only way I try to explain the perception that may be causing the negativity.

Dana
11-11-2015, 01:35 AM
A lot of what you stated Mike Myers, is true. I also have much of my background in running sound systems for my Church. Been doing it since I was 14. Podcasting University Inc., is less then 40 days old. I switched all my accounts over to GoDaddy and since the names were purchased at HostMonster, less then 2 months ago, you must wait 60 days before they can transfer the names over to GoDaddy. Once done, I will make the migration myself.

You are correct that I started Podcasting in April of this year. You are correct that I have stopped supporting two of the sites. I have also started business that have failed. It does not make me give up, it makes me try harder. All of my efforts are being spent for this new project.

As far as my SEO goes, Google my Business or given name, tell me where they rank. You are correct I tell people that they do not need to spend money, to learn how to podcast. I still do. I make it very clear on our site that if you are not willing to make the sacrifice, you will be wasting you money. Here again, we target companies that do not have hundreds of hours to search the www, to learn how to do this.

You also stated that "I also when searching for Podcasting University in google do not find you on the first page". According to the picture below, we are on the first page, number 3 and 4. I don't know, maybe you spelled it wrong. Yahoo and Bing, first page, number 1 ranking. I have those screen shot as well. Not really all that bad, since the first page was only published 27 days ago. I waited 7 days to do a search, we we on page 57. Less then three weeks, page 1, ranked 3rd and 4th. So ya Brother. I will place my SEO Skills against yours, anytime you feel the need to do so. Truth be told, I would rather explain to you, how I got there. As always, I will leave the choice to you.

http://www.podcastingschool.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Google.png

As far as the quality of my audio on a $20 mic, you are correct. It was an example to show someone, how easy it is to start podcasting. As far as the quality of my audio now, has it improved, yes it has. How can someone that has just started podcasting be a coach? Simple. You teach equipment as well as technique. Just as with anything in life, if you learn the proper way from the beginning, it will depend on you, how far you take that knowledge. Do me a favor and read any of my post or reply's, before this one. Show me anyone of them that has mislead anyone.

As far as coming on this website and throwing around money and clout, you are incorrect. All you have to do is go back and read any of my post or reply's. It is only on this thread. I do not lurk this forum. I come here, sigh in, click the "Whats New" tab and read. If I like the post, I will reply, if not, I move on. 1 negative thread / response out of 80+ postings, not a bad percentage. As far as what you think about me, my audio or my business, well, we will just leave it at that. Since I do not reley on you for any business advice, your opinion is just like every one else. Just an opinion, no different then mine.

@Andrew. Yes that is the form I filled out and no, I never said I was attacked on a personal level. No where on the thread will you see, me saying that. I simple replied to a post, with my opinion. That's it. I will forward you the e-mail between myself and Mike, when I finish this post, concerning this forum, sent back around the 8th or 9th of October. I have sent you the e-mail.

As far as our business plan. We don't have 120 self help videos up and that's what you pay for, like JD for $2,950.00. That is why we have a world time calculator on our website. We teach via one on one through video chat, as well as desk top capturing software. If it is 3 pm in Scotland and 1 am here, I will be at my desk at 12:50 am, waiting for you to sign in. If it takes 30 min or three hours, you will have your questions answered as well as putting your hands on the very project, you are having problems with.

The first question I ask someone, is their request for business or for a hobby. If it is a hobby, I send them to this forum. I have done it close to 10 times now, since I have been posting here. If it is for business, then we discuss their business plan first, here again, just so they don't buy into the hype of making money, right out of the gate, through podcasting. Like any of my business plans, I do not look 6 months down the road. I look 5 years into the future.

If anyone disagrees with this, fine. Invest your money, set up you business as you see fit and run with it. That is why I made the statement of being paid up till 2025. It shows longevity. Same reason I post my Corp papers on the front page. Not to impress anyone. It only cost $97.00 in the Commonwealth of Virgina and takes about 20 min to complete the process, online. As far as impressing a CEO that we are in negotiations with, so far, we have received 100% "Wow Factor", for doing so and that is just what we wanted to achieve.

I enjoy this forum Andrew, just like it states in the e-mail I forwarded to you. Do me a favor, as you read it, I hope you will see the sincerity, in which it was written.

@mcphilips. I have watched two of your videos. Didn't care for either one of them, since they both attack what I do. Like I said before, no where in your two videos, did you bother to make a distinction between the two groups. Just that simple. Your response to this thread, well, lets just say it was very "Mike like". I am sure that if I made a blanket statement about Broadcasters, in a negative way, the flood gates would open very quickly. Here again, just my opinion. I am sorry, I don't like every thing you do.

So here goes. I apologize to any and all that I have offended, by giving my opinion. Mike, I am sorry I took your videos they way I did. To the young man who I have on my ignore list. I have Grand Children older then you, and I am not in the habit of taking sh*t from them either. However, since people on this forum have went out of their way to stand up for you, I apologize to you as well.

Andrew, I apologize to you for letting this crap get out of hand on your forum. I can assure you, I will not get sucked in again. Like most others, I have better things to do then participate in a pi**ing contest, when my only desire is to learn as well as pass on knowledge. Now, you do not know me, any more then I know you or the the members of this forum. I can assure you, my apologies are sincere as well as from the heart.

oscarmartz
11-11-2015, 06:22 AM
I was a few days off the site and look at what happens. Bro this is funny.

PaulSaunders
11-11-2015, 07:07 AM
@Andrewzarian Please move my post to another thread if you feel it is taking away from the discussion on hand here

@Dana. I took a look at what you are saying about SEO and I just want to give a little feedback on this. Having good SEO is much more than just doing a search for your exact company name. I saw the example you showed for Podcasting University Inc. but let me give you a little bit of insight.

The websites domain http://www.podcastingschool.org/ and the name of the site is Podcasting University. If I search for Podcasting School on google and Podcasting University I do not see you coming up at all on the front page.

Personally I wish you the best but I can not see getting advice from someone on podcasting who has very little to no experience in it. People like Dave and Cliff have been doing this a long time. How can you coach people on podcasting if you have no experience along with zero success in creating a popular podcast.

Second there is no war on podcasters here lol. We are all podcasters.

peace and love

Dana
11-11-2015, 08:31 AM
With all due respect Paul, I simply responded to your post. I explained why the sites had names that did not reflect the website. I can not migrate them over, till GoDaddy gives me an e-mail, stating the domain names have been transferred. As far as my SEO work, I respect your opinion. Google wants $14,000 per month for key word domination.

I am not going to pay it. As far as my skills to teach others, I respect your opinion. I really don't need to know how a computer works, to instruct someone on how to turn it on. I don't have to have the knowledge to code Windows 8.1, to instruct someone on how to use it.

As far as Dave and Cliff, I respect your opinion. As far as Dave goes, I watch his videos on a regular basis. As far as Cliff goes, I have very little respect for the man. My choice. I have a few e-mails from Cliff, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address, I will send them right to you. As far as Andrew moving threads, I wish he would just delete this one, if nothing else, close it.

I replied to your post about your interference problem, before I replied to this one. I had no idea you even replied back. I have no idea if my opinion / advice / suggestion will work for you concerning your problem, if it does, great, if it does not, then all it did was cost you nothing to read it. But, at least, I did try.