PDA

View Full Version : building a set for my video podcast

PaulSaunders
10-20-2015, 05:17 AM
I am looking to take the dive into video. I will be doing a weekly automotive podcast and would like to make a "set" for the podcast.

I would like to make it look as good as possible. Rather then having a bunch of computers in the shot (Sorry Andrew) I would like it to look more like a "TV" set.

Does anyone here do anything like that? Could you give me some tips on creating a set without spending thousands?

rwildman
10-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Get a green screen. That is one of the cheap and easy ways. Making it look good is more difficult though.

Dana
10-21-2015, 01:24 AM
I am in the same process myself Paul.

mjgraves
10-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Get a green screen. That is one of the cheap and easy ways. Making it look good is more difficult though.

Maybe. Personally, I'm not fan of green screen.

Even when it's done well it typically looks "flat." That is, the host looks like they are a 2D construct pasted over an unrelated background. I say unrelated because, if it's a virtual set or scene of some kind, the scenic lighting rarely matches the host lighting. I routinely see this in major market TV stations using virtual sets.

Then again, I have 20+ years of broadcast production experience, including many years of shooting & editing using Ultimatte & Spectrakey systems. I may be too picky.

rwildman
10-22-2015, 06:12 AM
That's one of the reasons I stated that making it look good is more difficult. However, it is not impossible, as you likely know.