PDA

View Full Version : Marco's podcasting microphone mega-review

obanta
09-10-2015, 09:00 PM
http://www.marco.org/podcasting-microphones

A recently released extensive microphone review for podcasting. The inclusion of audio clips with two different voices is helpful. Thought some of you might be interested or enjoy reading someone else's thoughts.

mcphillips
09-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately he used processing on the audio. Doing so defeats the purpose of the test.

Dana
10-14-2015, 02:25 AM
Unfortunately he used processing on the audio. Doing so defeats the purpose of the test.

You have a very valid point Mike.

mcphillips
10-16-2015, 06:51 PM
You can reach me through Twitter: @mcphillips

mjgraves
10-23-2015, 10:45 AM
I must say that I don't completely understand all the focus on microphones. just for kicks I tried the cheapest Logitech analog headset, which costs just $11. It works fine for podcast purposes. That is to say, it sounds good enough that as long as the show topic was genuinely interesting it would hold the audience. People would not tune out because of bad audio.

All the debate about the merits of this vs that microphone seems to be a lot of navel gazing. Especially when few people take any steps to improve the acoustics of their workspace. That's something that can help a lot.

Dana
10-23-2015, 11:06 AM
I must say that I don't completely understand all the focus on microphones.

If the mic you use to send that audio feed into your equipment, your recorder, is sub par, $30,000.00 worth of gear, will suffer to make it right.

mjgraves
10-23-2015, 11:27 AM
100% agree that you really can't fix bad audio. But there seems to be many people who debate this vs that microphone. Once you have acceptable sound, everything else is gratuitous.

Like you, I've put in literally decades in recording and broadcast facilities. A decent mic will deliver acceptable audio, when well placed, and in an acceptable environment

In a lot of cases, most especially where the room acoustics have not been considered, mic placement is key. A headset, or head-mounted mic if you prefer, can do a better job than a mic on a boom or desk mount. It will be more consistent in any case.

Dana
10-23-2015, 11:54 AM
100% agree that you really can't fix bad audio. But there seems to be many people who debate this vs that microphone.
You are 100% correct Brother.