PDA

View Full Version : IAIB SPOTLIGHT : Mike Phillips Interview

andrewzarian
06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
This week on the IAIB Spotlight: GFQ Founder Andrew Zarian interviews fellow IAIB Pro Broadcaster Mike Phillips. Andrew asks Mike about his start in terrestrial radio, and transitioning to internet broadcasting. Mike also shares where he thinks internet broadcasting is headed and the do's and don'ts of internet broadcasting.

Check out Computers2know live every Sunday morning at 9pm ET http://www.computers2know.com and follow Mike on Twitter @MCPhillips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QS_T_fPOME

JaseRossi
06-02-2012, 03:13 PM
This was a great interview! Mike is an amazing guy and watching these two talk was really a treat! Cheers to the two best guys in the business.

direktetv
06-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Great show!

andrewzarian
06-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys. Mike was a great guest. I will be sure to have him on again sometime in the future. The next few guests are going to be very interesting... We should be recording a bunch of interviews at Blogworld

mcphillips
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks, guys. It was fun to be on the show. Andrew is an excellent interviewer.

BradShoemaker
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Excellent interview...listening now and already completely into it.

Mike is right on with the way the industry is going now. At a building I used to work in, Clear Channel Indianapolis, they have no live jocks on the air anymore. They have quite a few local jocks, but they come in and voice track and then some of them leave after that, others stay on and perform other duties like audio production, content creation for the web, etc. That, coupled with other jocks from other cities voice tracking for Indianapolis means there no longer is a jock in studio.

Clear Channel also has a service called Premium Choice. They have 1 playlist and 1 jock filter to all stations of like format. Therefore all Classic Rock stations are programmed once and have 1 set of DJs. It gets plugged into their automation system called PROPHET. The local stations get this programming and enter their own commercials, PSAs, and Promos and gets spat out to the masses.

You can tell that it is PC Programming because the jock will never mention the city, call letters, etc. Sweepers and Promos will indicate what station you are listening to.

As for why the industry is becoming the way it is... blame free spirit back in the 90s days of having a lot of money to spend. The Clear Channels of the world bought and merged so many times they accumulated a lot of debt. Now, they are working on paying it off and keeping prophet margins high and to do so, they let go of talented people and create a very bland product.

Anyway, sorry I shall step off my soap box now. It is a subject I am passionate about as I see the talent exiting and the mid managers staying. The industry is going from Content Creation to Content Pushing.

Which opens the door, now more than ever, to the Internet Broadcasting world.

NickSPNT
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Great show! Loved hearing the historical perspective on TR compared to where we are now with Internet broadcasts.

RichardCleveland
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Fantastic show! Andrew your interview with Mike was well done. Mike I loved how candid you are about the history of traditional radio and the opportunities that you were able to capitalize on and the few missed. As internet broadcasters we all strive to have those memorable moments and some hope to make a career.

Thanks

mcphillips
06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your comments. If you're not following me on Twitter, please do. We have a lot of fun there. I'm @mcphillips.

AgentPete
06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Great interview, thank you.

Dan Ortego
09-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Last night I couldn't sleep so I came on the forum to poke around. I just happened across this thread and decided to watch the interview and I'm glad I did. As a newbie' it was enlightening to hear the history of Mike's career and the questions and issues presented by Andrew.

It also reinforced some of what I've already learned from other sources regarding equipment. In particular, the last third of the interview touched on microphones, pre's and mixers and it was great how Mike explained things' in a way that made sense. Most notably, Mike’s comments regarding equipment that may not be properly set-up whereas a compressor/gate may serve more as a Band-Aid rather than addressing a real problem.

I learned a lot so thanks to both of you.
Regards,

andrewzarian
09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Dan!

We will be bringing the IAIB Spotlight back in 2 weeks.

Spencer Kobren
09-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Mike is the best! He's taken time out to help me out on several occasions. Very generous guy!

mcphillips
09-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Andrew wants me to be on the show again. Our agents are talking. If it works out, what topics would you like for us to cover?