PDA

View Full Version : Finding your sweet spot ( Audio settings)

andrewzarian
05-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Over the past month we have been working hard at improving our audio quality for our podcasts. We have added 4 dbx 286s compressor/Preamp and uped our audio quality from 64kbps to 96kbps. The next thing we need to do is find the sweet spot for our volume. I have noticed that all my recordings are very low but the live broadcast is perfect.

Can you guys give me some tips on creating better audio quality for our Podcast?

Donovan
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm no master at this, but after trial and error and some advice from Cliff, I usually try to make sure that my volume level on my recordings is between -6db and -1.5db with a hard limit of -1.5db. I also record everything at 128kbps.

andrewzarian
05-31-2012, 05:40 AM
It has been a quest since getting the new Mic Preamp.

Donovan
05-31-2012, 05:43 AM
It has been a quest since getting the new Mic Preamp.

I can imagine. I've gone back and listened to some of my first episodes and pretty much can't stand it. It's taken me months, sometimes sitting for hours testing audio levels, talking to myself, etc. just to get to something that I feel is "adequate".

andrewzarian
06-01-2012, 05:52 AM
your ears also play a huge part in setting up your audio. Many people out there are using cheepo headphones that really dont represent what your sending out.

AgentPete
06-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I find it nearly impossible to judge audio quality via headphones. I do like using Avantone Mixcubes speakers - they dona good job of simulating the average listening environment:
http://www.avantonepro.com/Avantone-Active-MixCube-Powered-Full-Range-Mini-Reference-Monitors.html

mcphillips
06-07-2012, 07:46 PM
If anyone wants off-line help with audio, let me know.

offtheairlive
06-27-2012, 09:07 AM
I make sure everything coming through the mixer is as close to -7 as possible. I think as long as the signal coming in is clean, you can record at a higher volume so long as the waveform isn't peaking and chopping anything off.

Jadori
06-27-2012, 09:31 PM
As much as I wish that I had the money and budget that some of guys have lol I am working with what I can afford because podcasting equipment can give very pricey. As for audio, my mic sweet spot has be found also through trial and error.

andrewzarian
06-28-2012, 05:34 AM
We are having some issues with our audio. Swapping out a sound card today to see how that works out for us. I will be writing a blog on what we did soon

Jadori
06-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I am understanding the importance of sound quality. I just got a mixer today but I have been having issues with Ustream. I was thinking of using Stickam. Which one in your view is better?

mcphillips
06-28-2012, 08:27 AM
They're both good. What issues are you having? It's likely that you will have the same issues with Stickam that you are having with Ustream. Their broadcasting interfaces are very similar.

Jadori
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
The issue that I am having is I have a Alesis Multimix 8 FX USB mixer and for some reason the volume is not loud enough on Ustream. So when I record my show the volume is very low. In the broadcaster window do I need to turn the volume all the way up?