PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Midfielder
11-12-2014, 06:53 AM
I have been reading the comments on this board for a long time. Thank you all for your helpful comments and advice. I am starting a podcast about Coaching and the Beautiful Game. Beyond442.com (http://Beyond442.com)

We are interviewing people involved in all areas of soccer. It has been really fascinating hearing the different stories and perspectives. We are not quite ready to launch yet, but getting there. As you can see from the website I still have to set up the newsletter and contact pages. I also have to set up the powerpress plugin, feedburner and libsyn. Is this the right place to do a "build thread" and ask for feedback and advice? Or should that be in a different section?

I am looking forward to joining in the conversation, and thanks again for all your help already.

- John

MovieBuff
11-12-2014, 07:01 AM
This is in the appropriate section, don't worry and welcome to the IAIB. :) That's an interesting show idea.

Midfielder
11-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Before I dive into the studio build, can I ask a quick question about text formatting on this site? Is there a way to force a new paragraph? It is like typing a wall of text.

Midfielder
11-12-2014, 07:44 AM
So here is where we are at right now… Interview requests are going out, and coming back, so now confirming dates and times. I am getting stressed out about the audio chain though.

Interviews will be via skype, or cell phone. It is rare we’ll have guests into the studio. There is a large coaching convention in January and hopefully we’ll be able to have a walking interview solution. I am thinking zoom handheld and a couple of 2100’s should do the job.

The “Studio room” is a spare bedroom. DIY sound proofing [roxul in frames] on two walls, window along one wall, bookcase behind record location. Wooden flooring.

Equipment

Mackie Pro FX8 (usb output is noisy, otherwise good mixer) – on the Raleigh craigslist
Presonus 22VSL (using because Mackie usb is noisy)
Rode NT3 microphone (LDC – seems to match my voice well. A little soft sounding) – on the Raleigh craigslist
SM7B Microphone (I can raise the gain enough to record cleanly but it is too quiet for a skype guest to hear).
ATR2100 (Thanks to Mike. I like it but it doesn’t sound good with my voice).
Cloud Lifter (nice piece of kit. +25b of gain).
DBX286s (I really like the gate on this). – on the Raleigh craigslist
BBE Sonic Maximizer (a relic from years ago) – on the Raleigh craigslist

Right now the best sound I can get is with the Rode condenser straight into the presonus. That’s cleaner than going through the DBX286s. Yeah I was shocked by that. I like the mastering plugins in Adobe Audition, and the klanghelm compressor is stunning. It is twenty euros, and the cut down version is free. Check it out. It is incredible.

I am looking to purchase an RME Babyface…. but they are so expensive. A Pre 73 would also work. I want to give the SM7b enough gain to test it out. I am not sold on keeping it, but want to see what it sounds like.

Lastly, am I missing something or is easiest with skype guests, to just have them come through on a separate system?

MovieBuff
11-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Before I dive into the studio build, can I ask a quick question about text formatting on this site? Is there a way to force a new paragraph? It is like typing a wall of text.

Press "enter." Indenting by pressing the "tab" keyboard key will not work.

The klanghelm compressor sounds interesting.

Midfielder
11-12-2014, 08:00 AM
I must be doing something wrong because "enter" does nothing for me. It moves the text down in the box, but then displays it as a wall of text. Maybe it is IE. I'll try another browser. Definitely check out the Klanghelm. It blew me away.

Midfielder
11-12-2014, 08:05 AM
ah ha! It all looks correct in firefox! Previous browser was IE11.

Midfielder
11-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Here you go: http://www.klanghelm.com Check out the 1a which is a free and cut down version of the 8c, which costs all of twenty euros.

MovieBuff
11-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Here you go: http://www.klanghelm.com Check out the 1a which is a free and cut down version of the 8c, which costs all of twenty euros.

Damn IE lol. Wow, thank you very much for the link. This is great!

http://youtu.be/-w3kLt9bh7g

Podnutter
11-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Hello and welcome to the site