PDA

View Full Version : "Fully Loaded iMac With Retina Will Cost You $4,400"

MovieBuff
10-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Source: http://gizmodo.com/a-fully-loaded-imac-with-retina-will-cost-you-4-400-1647232518/all

rwildman
10-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't want the "fully loaded iMac." The bottom of the line would work perfectly well in my workflow.

MovieBuff
10-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Wouldn't want the "fully loaded iMac." The bottom of the line would work perfectly well in my workflow.

Do you use it for film editing? Video live broadcasting? What is your workflow?

rwildman
10-17-2014, 09:32 AM
In my case, I currently use two iMacs in my workflow, for live video streaming. One is used as a video switcher and recorder, using Wirecast. The second is used as an encoder, again using Wirecast. Using the two takes the load off of either when it comes to getting the job done. I utilize 2 Mac Mini's and 2 Macbook systems for guest inclusion, using Skype and Desktop Presenter.

When not live streaming, the iMacs can be utilized in many different ways, and yes, I do video and audio editing, Voice Over work and web development.

MovieBuff
10-17-2014, 10:02 AM
In my case, I currently use two iMacs in my workflow, for live video streaming. One is used as a video switcher and recorder, using Wirecast. The second is used as an encoder, again using Wirecast. Using the two takes the load off of either when it comes to getting the job done. I utilize 2 Mac Mini's and 2 Macbook systems for guest inclusion, using Skype and Desktop Presenter.

When not live streaming, the iMacs can be utilized in many different ways, and yes, I do video and audio editing, Voice Over work and web development.

That is awesome. I will probably get a 2nd computer. You have i5 chispsets and have no issues?

rwildman
10-17-2014, 10:19 AM
The iMac used for video switching has an i5 quad core processor. The one used for encoding is an older iMac, with an Intel Core 2 Duo. I load everything out to a Syswan Duolinks SW24 load balancing router and into two DSL connections (3Mbps down / 512kbps up). I, currently, strictly route the systems through the Syswan, but may, in the future, allow for it to do the load balancing (as it should).

I do not experience any issues with the switching machine at all. Bandwidth utilization from the encoding machine to the CDN can be challenging at times.

Podnutter
10-19-2014, 04:25 PM
thats wild.... 4 grand for a computer.... wow