PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Controller - Simple

rwildman
10-08-2014, 06:52 AM
One of the things I've seen a number of posts about, both here and in the Telestream forums, have to do with hardware controllers, used to switch shots and other functions of Wirecast. I really like the idea of using these devices, over using a mouse, or non-tactile touch screen device. The problem with using keyboard shortcuts, IMO, has been the requirement to use multiple keys (e.g., option-1, command-1, etc.).

There have been some who've used devices, such as the Korg nanoKontrol, in combination with Apple Scripts, or other files, to control Wirecast. This may be a direction I move to in the future, for more granular control over additional items and more shots. However, my needs have been simple, requiring only 10 shots and switching between Smooth and Cut transitions. To do this, I've, recently, been using devices, coupled with software allowing keyboard mapping, to offer the control I require.

For the past number of months, I've used Remote Buddy (https://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/) and an Apple Remote to control Wirecast. It has worked quite well, allowing 12 functions (shots and transitions) to be mapped to the remote. However, I've been wishing for something a little more robust, without the need to replace batteries.

I had an old M-Audio iControl boxed in storage. After digging it out, I began researching the midi messages and values of the different buttons and sliders, hoping to map them to the keyboard shortcuts of Wirecast, without the the need for extra script files. First, I found a small application that allows MIDI messages to be mapped to keyboard strokes; midiStroke (http://www.charlie-roberts.com/midiStroke/). It works quite well with the latest version of OSX: 10.9.5. My second quest was to map the MIDI output of the iControl. This required that I utilize a second application (MIDI Monitor (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/)). It allowed the visualization of each button of the iControl. Couple that with a bit more research, I was able to put MIDI values to all of the buttons and the main slider I wished to use in my control of Wirecast.

The above picture indicates the MIDI value of each button on the iControl. The value for the main slider is not included, because I've not updated the picture. The value of it is 7. I use the slider in an interesting way, with it moved to the right meaning Cut transition and to the left meaning Smooth transition. To do that one needs to include the slider setting of 0 (right) and 127 (left).

I, also, use the main Record button, to begin the record function of Wirecast. I actually stream the video by shunting it into another system, so I do not map a button for the starting of the stream.

I've set up buttons for each of the 4 main camera shots being used, along with additional buttons for the lower thirds and additional shots.

I plan on going live with the device today (Wed., Oct. 8 2014). It will be interesting to see if it works as well in a live situation as it did during my testing.

Hopefully, someone else will find this information helpful too.

rwildman
10-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Followup Post -

Based on my use, during a live broadcast, the iControl worked. Of course, as with any new device, it took some getting used to. I expect I'll be changing the configuration a bit, moving transitions to buttons instead of the slider. The slider, having to traverse a fair distance, wasn't as quick as I'd like to had been able to make the transition from smooth to cut scenes. Luckily, there are, as you can see from the picture in the first post, a bunch of buttons to select from.

One thing that I did do, prior to the broadcast, was remove the individual knobs on the device. While these were not in use, they got in the way more than anything else.

The overall response of Wirecast, when using the device for control, was more than acceptable. In fact, the response was just as good as using the keyboard, or Apple remote, and much quicker than using a mouse.

I'm pleased with the outcome and after a few adjustments believe that it will work just fine for my implementation and workflow.