PDA

View Full Version : Skype video mix-minus setup advice

SFairbanks
09-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Hello IAIAB!

I run a small sports production company, we currently produce 3 different daily sports talk show. I'm hoping you'll be able to offer some advice on my setup.

I currently produce shows featuring a single host that I connect with via Skype (audio & video). I then pull his audio & video into Wirecast and broadcast on Youtube. He handles calls & guests on his end. I do not contribute on-air, strictly production.

We're on a very limited budget right now so I'm trying to figure out a better way of incorporating guest Skype video into the show without setting up a three way Skype video call, as they screws up the aspect ratios.

I'd like to be able to run two instances of Skype and pull that video into Wirecast.

We can't afford to invest in a mixer or a Skype machine, so I was hoping there might be some way for me to run two instances in a way that the host & guest can hear each other, ideally in a mix-minus setup.

Are there any mac software solutions for this? Reminder that I do not contribute, so I'm only dealing with two remote Skype audio & video connections, thanks!!!

andrewzarian
09-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Could you give us some more detail about your setup

What computer are you currently using?

From what I understand you are using a Wirecast on a Mac and you are screen capturing the hosts Skype video. If you are not sending audio back to the host or using a mixer you do not need a mix minus. Adding a second instance of skype can be tricky on the mac. I am not aware of any software that can do this for you.

Have you looked into doing a group call with skype? What about Google Hangouts?

SFairbanks
09-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Could you give us some more detail about your setup

What computer are you currently using?

From what I understand you are using a Wirecast on a Mac and you are screen capturing the hosts Skype video. If you are not sending audio back to the host or using a mixer you do not need a mix minus. Adding a second instance of skype can be tricky on the mac. I am not aware of any software that can do this for you.

Have you looked into doing a group call with skype? What about Google Hangouts?

I've got an iMac that runs Skype which I pull, using Desktop presenter, over to a heavily modified Mac Mini that serves as my broadcasting machine. Adding a second instance of Skype is very easy on OS X, have been doing it for years.

Group calls on Skype are a non-starter because the video defaults to 4:3 on a group call from 16:9. Google Hangouts is even less visually appealing to an audience and unfortunately isn't an option for the quality of broadcast I'm putting together here.

Basically, I need to figure out a way that ensures two instances of Skype on my Skype machine can hear each other, without any crazy feedback loops. Then I pull their audio & video into Wirecast and broadcast.

This will allow me to have both shots in 16:9, broadcasting at a much higher quality.

andrewzarian
09-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Do you have a link to your current show that you could provide?

The only thing that I can think of is some sort of virtual mixer that Wirecast and Skype will be able to recognize. On Windows I know that some people use an application called Voicemeeter. http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

the biggest issue is going to be having your guests hear each other without hearing their own audio. I dont know if its possible to do that with two instances of Skype without having a mixer and multiple sound cards.

There are some web RTC solutions that offer pretty good video and audio quality. I know Zoom.US looks and sounds pretty good but there is a monthly fee to do a conference longer than 45 min.

TommySulivan
09-22-2014, 07:50 AM
I have used Zoom us for a few podcasts I record and I was very impressed with the quality. They also have a record function that makes my life much easier. Its aboug 10 dollars a month https://zoom.us/pricing

SFairbanks
09-22-2014, 09:15 AM
The only thing that I can think of is some sort of virtual mixer that Wirecast and Skype will be able to recognize. On Windows I know that some people use an application called Voicemeeter. http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

the biggest issue is going to be having your guests hear each other without hearing their own audio. I dont know if its possible to do that with two instances of Skype without having a mixer and multiple sound cards.

There are some web RTC solutions that offer pretty good video and audio quality. I know Zoom.US looks and sounds pretty good but there is a monthly fee to do a conference longer than 45 min.

Zoom.US is the closest I've seen to a true competitor, video quality isn't quite high enough to replace Skype, in my testing.

I assumed something like Ableton Live might be a solution, was just curious if anyone had a better suggestion or any practical experience with a setup like this.

TommySulivan
09-22-2014, 01:21 PM
I dont know if something like ableton would work. Does it have drivers that skype can see?

PaulSaunders
09-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Have you looked at Soundflower or Audio Hijack pro? I think that would work for this

SFairbanks
09-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Have you looked at Soundflower or Audio Hijack pro? I think that would work for this

Soundflower might be the solution, I'll likely need to modify it. I use audio hijack pro from time to time, haven't come across anything within it that could handle that kind of routing.