PDA

View Full Version : Why Behringer?

ptfigg
08-15-2014, 05:50 AM
I'm really curious about this -

I've noticed the Behringer MDX4600 has secured quite a bit of popularity in the Podcasting Community, and I'm not sure why. Is it because it's cheap? Sure, you get 4 channels of dynamics processing, albeit very basic control options.

I get that flexibility is a good thing. OTOH how many producers would actually need 4 processing channels? To be honest I wouldn't be comfortable recommending that piece.

I have a good amount of past experience with the now discontinued dbx 266xl Compressor/Gate (http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/266xl). I would be much more comfortable recommending 1 or 2 of the up to date dbx 166xs (http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/166xs) two channel processors as opposed to the Behringer.

-paul.

http://f-video.s3.amazonaws.com/dbx-forum-820.jpg

andrewzarian
08-15-2014, 06:02 AM
Paul .. Great question. I have also noticed many people using the MDX4600. I personally don't like it. I would take a DBX 286s over it any day. It really comes down to people not really knowing what to buy. Its a lot of bang for your buck so people buy it. I have personally converted atleast 6 people from an MDX4600 to a DBX 286s

MovieBuff
08-15-2014, 06:06 AM
What is wrong with it? It got great reviews and it has 4 XLR inputs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264882-REG/Behringer_MDX4600_MDX4600_MULTICOM_PRO_XL_4.html Click Customer Reviews.

TommySulivan
08-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Sadly I was one of those people. The reason I got it was price. It has 4 channels and I thought I could hook up other microphones and possible skype lines to it. I bought a DBX thanks to @mikephillips and sold the MDX4600

ptfigg
08-15-2014, 06:13 AM
Andrew, I totally agree.

One thing - and I realize you are aware of this ... the 286s is a single channel voice processor.

The 166xs is a two channel Compressor - Limiter - Gate, with all the controls you would expect on a high quality dynamics processor. So for me it's a much better option than the Behringer. One unit can be used as dual-mono or stereo. It's a great piece for a little more than $200 bucks.

And like I said, I'm with you one the 286s. It's an absolute steal for the price. I have a 286A, the previous model.

-paul.

ptfigg
08-15-2014, 06:16 AM
What is wrong with it? It got great reviews and it has 4 XLR inputs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264882-REG/Behringer_MDX4600_MDX4600_MULTICOM_PRO_XL_4.html Click Customer Reviews.

With respect the reviews mean nothing to me. It lacks flexibility in terms of processing parameters. That's the problem with it. Also - people are being misguided, using it as a voice processor and a gain stage. It's not what it's designed for.

-paul.

ptfigg
08-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Sadly I was one of those people. The reason I got it was price. It has 4 channels and I thought I could hook up other microphones and possible skype lines to it. I bought a DBX thanks to @mikephillips and sold the MDX4600

Mike gave you good advise. You're much better off with the dbx piece.

-paul.

mcphillips
08-15-2014, 11:41 AM
The Behringer mixers are great values. It's hard to fault them at the price point. However, just because a company makes a nice mixer does not mean they make a good compressor. Some people use and are happy with the 4600. My experience with it is limited. Price is the key driver. Unlike you, however, I have not had good luck with a dbx 266. There is one sitting at my right knee, and I can't set it so that it is effective but transparent.

ptfigg
08-15-2014, 11:46 AM
The Behringer mixers are great values. It's hard to fault them at the price point. However, just because a company makes a nice mixer does not mean they make a good compressor. Some people use and are happy with the 4600. My experience with it is limited. Price is the key driver. Unlike you, however, I have not had good luck with a dbx 266. There is one sitting at my right knee, and I can't set it so that it is effective but transparent.

How are you using the 266? On a mixer insert for voice? In-line between a source and a mixer? Are you feeding it a hot enough signal without the need to crank the output?

-paul.

mcphillips
08-16-2014, 05:19 AM
How are you using the 266? On a mixer insert for voice? In-line between a source and a mixer? Are you feeding it a hot enough signal without the need to crank the output?

I've tried it in every configuration I can, and the levels are correct. (I've done this before.) ;)

blkeagle
08-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Paul .. Great question. I have also noticed many people using the MDX4600. I personally don't like it. I would take a DBX 286s over it any day. It really comes down to people not really knowing what to buy. Its a lot of bang for your buck so people buy it. I have personally converted atleast 6 people from an MDX4600 to a DBX 286s

So I'm new to anything related to audio and getting into this for the first time with some friends so bare with me for not understanding.

The DBX 286s has only one XLR input so would you not need 4 of these to equal one MDX4600 or would you use something in front of the DBX 286s in order to have more than one MIC input than put it through the DBX286?

The MDX4600 for someone who's never touched something like this seems like the better option for someone new because of the 4 XLR inputs, but I also know you're the professional.

Is the MDX better for someone just starting out (trying to make it to the professional level recording) or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thank you in advance!

blkeagle
08-27-2014, 01:18 PM
I figured out what my confusion is now. I didn't understand what a gate was vs a mixer compressor. While I now have a more basic understanding I obviously have a lot to learn.

ptfigg
08-27-2014, 01:21 PM
So I'm new to anything related to audio and getting into this for the first time with some friends so bare with me for not understanding.

The DBX 286s has only one XLR input so would you not need 4 of these to equal one MDX4600 or would you use something in front of the DBX 286s in order to have more than one MIC input than put it through the DBX286?

The MDX4600 for someone who's never touched something like this seems like the better option for someone new because of the 4 XLR inputs, but I also know you're the professional.

Is the MDX better for someone just starting out (trying to make it to the professional level recording) or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Happy to help, and I'm sure you'll pick up additional opinions on this.

Here's my take:

The Behringer is a 4-channel Dynamics Processor. The dbx is a single channel Voice Processor. Specifically - the Behringer is a Compressor, Limiter, and Gate that can independently process four audio sources. It does not have a Mic input. The dbx 286s is designed to process a single mic. You can plug your Mic directly into it, or patch the processor into a mixer to utilize the mixer's preamp. It all depends on what preamp you decide to use to drive your mic.

There are some common parameters on both units.

In a perfect world, and depending how complex your system is - you would actually benefit by having both processors integrated into your system, although as I've stated, I would not recommend the Behringer.

You would use the dbx 286s to process your mic and the dynamics processor to handle incoming sources, like Skype and/or Telco audio.

Anyway - for a nice quality voice recording, go with the Voice Processor. It's probably all you will need. If you decide to expand your system, then consider a dynamics processor for the purposes that I've noted.

-paul.