PDA

View Full Version : Audio broadcasting software

leonard
08-14-2014, 12:02 PM
I am looking for internet audio streaming software that would allow me to stream police radio dispatch traffic to the internet with about a 30 minute delay. Anybody know of any software that can do this?

The intent is to establish a link on a web page where someone could access a 30 minute delayed audio stream from a police department's primary dispatch radio channel.

Thanks for any suggestions

mcphillips
08-14-2014, 05:19 PM
You might be able to do a delay with Total Recorder. It's not designed for that purpose, but it might work. Stream through Mixlr and you're good to go.

leonard
08-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks. I will download the demo and try it. We are planning to set up our own server, and are looking at using BroadWave from NCH Software to do the streaming.

andrewzarian
08-15-2014, 06:03 AM
I am looking for internet audio streaming software that would allow me to stream police radio dispatch traffic to the internet with about a 30 minute delay. Anybody know of any software that can do this?

The intent is to establish a link on a web page where someone could access a 30 minute delayed audio stream from a police department's primary dispatch radio channel.

Thanks for any suggestions

Just wondering.. Why do you want to add a delay to the stream?

leonard
08-15-2014, 06:39 AM
Just wondering.. Why do you want to add a delay to the stream?

The radio traffic is encrypted to prevent monitoring, for officer safety and to prevent persons engaged in criminal activity from monitoring the traffic. It also prevents the media, and hobbyists from monitoring police activity. Putting audio on the internet in real time defeats the purpose of encryption. Thirty minutes or so of delay is a reasonable compromise between the officer safety/tactical concerns, the media's need for access, and hobbyist's desire for access.

mcphillips
08-15-2014, 11:38 AM
How are you able to receive the encrypted signal?

leonard
08-15-2014, 11:52 AM
With a Motorola XTS5000 portable radio. The plan is to use one of our spare portables with a battery eliminator and feed the audio from the earphone jack to the computer.

I am a police captain here. We migrated from a regional analog trunked radio system to a statewide trunked digital system in January. Encryption was enabled at that time. I am the project director for the project. We thought we had a process to keep the media informed of events they need to be aware of, but it hasn't worked as we planned.

rwildman
08-15-2014, 01:31 PM
There are some gamers that delay their video broadcasts, to keeps opponents from knowing their strategy and so forth. It might be worth a trip to Twitch, or some of the other sites, to see how they integrate a delay in their broadcasts.

Understand that they are broadcasting both audio and video.

It might be that the streaming service integrates the delay for them, or that they use a 3rd party system - Because I do not broadcast games, I have no idea how the delays are accomplished on gaming sites. However, I'm offering an alternative suggestion, which might provide information that leads to assistance.

leonard
08-29-2014, 01:06 PM
We decided to go with Broadwave Streaming Audio Server by NCH Software, Radio Delay to do the delay, and Virtual Cable to connect "ports" between Broadwave and Radio Delay.

mcphillips
08-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks for reporting back. Can you give us a link? How's it working for you?

leonard
08-29-2014, 06:56 PM
It has worked fine so far on a test server on our internal network.

Next step is to get the final server completed and tested internally. That should be complete next week.

I will report back again and let you know how it works when we go live.

Broadwave Streaming Audio Server: http://www.nch.com.au/streaming/

Radio Delay: http://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/ He only offers a max 180 second version on the web page. My IT manager contacted him and he created a 30 min version he e-mailed to us, same day.

Virtual Cable: http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

mcphillips
08-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Radio Delay: http://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/ He only offers a max 180 second version on the web page. My IT manager contacted him and he created a 30 min version he e-mailed to us, same day.
You gotta love customer service.

leonard
10-01-2014, 12:10 PM
We made some changes before we went live. We tried looping an audio cable on the sound card and were able to do away with the virtual cable software. We also decided to use a streaming service that specializes in public safety radio streaming. www.Broadcastify.com. We are under the listen, then the official feeds tab, North Little Rock Police Dispatch 1.

We have experienced major problems with the RadioDelay software,and the stream is down right now. After about 3 hours the delay decays from 30 minutes to 15 minutes. It goes to zero delay in about 5 hours. The vendor says it would take a major rewrite to fix the issue, and since it is freeware and we are using it in an application it was not intended for; we don't expect it to be written for us . We are now looking for a hardware device to do the delay. We are considering the Sonifex RB-DS2 Stereo Delay Synchroniser & Time-Zone Delay ( http://www.sonifex.co.uk/category/delays/index.shtml ). Does anybody have any experience with this company or device?

Podnutter
10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the update. Someone recently asked me about this same exact thing.

leonard
10-06-2014, 01:17 PM
We ordered the Sonifex device. It should be here Tuesday or Wed. I will update when we get it installed

leonard
10-07-2014, 11:02 AM
We are now back up on Broadcastify. We need to tweak the audio output level some, and there is some background noise we want to try to reduce or eliminate. So far the Redbox unit is holding the delay correctly. We will know more in a couple of days.

We got the unit from Front End Audio, in Columbia, SC. They were very good to work with and got the unit to us from the UK in 5 days.

leonard
10-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Last update, unless something breaks...

The Sonifex RB-DS2 has been running over 21 hours straight now. It is holding a stable 30 minute delay. Looks like this setup is going to do what we need.