PDA

View Full Version : Podcasting System featuring the Allen & Heath XB10 Mixer ...

ptfigg
08-01-2014, 10:46 AM
I thought I would share this Podcasting System that I designed featuring the Allen & Heath XB-10 Broadcast Console. Also included: dbx 286s, Telos Hx1, a pair of Shure SM7B's, and the Tascam SS-R200.

Here are the details. (http://www.producenewmedia.com/?p=2183)

-paul.

http://forum.ibroadcastnetwork.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=235&d=1406914575

andrewzarian
08-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Thank you for sharing this Paul.

Dan Ortego
08-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the forum! Say, that's a very clean set-up and plenty of food for thought. I wish I had been that practical when I started my build. As it is I'm still fumbling around on third base.

ptfigg
08-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks Andrew and Dan,

It's good to be here.

A few years ago I was able to pick up a hardly used (mint) dbx 286a in mint condition. Nice piece. The 286s is a no-brainer for the price. And the A&H mixer has some nice features.

-paul.

mcphillips
08-02-2014, 04:52 AM
I really like the idea of the Tascam SS-R200. If you're going to use an external, non-portable recorder, that's the way to go. Your drawing is very well laid out, as well. It's very easy to follow.

Dan Ortego
08-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Morning Mike,
Yeah, I like that TASCAM too! I'm been considering a similar model but it got bumped to the back-burner until later. I also like Paul's super clean illustration that would have saved me tons of time, confusion and frustration when I started.

Sidebar: As it stands currently I hope to finally go live by the end of the forth-quarter or first quarter. Still working on the website, domain name(s), co-host's, and legal stuff.

mcphillips
08-02-2014, 05:20 AM
Maybe we need to make him the official IAIB diagrammer.

ptfigg
08-02-2014, 05:32 AM
I really like the idea of the Tascam SS-R200. If you're going to use an external, non-portable recorder, that's the way to go. Your drawing is very well laid out, as well. It's very easy to follow.

Thanks. Tiny portables definitely serve their purpose for field work. OTOH I'm not a proponent of using one in the studio. Also as I stated in my article this set of components (along with a single 1 RU vent panel) fits neatly in a compact 4 RU Rack Enclosure.

-paul.

Dan Ortego
08-02-2014, 05:33 AM
Seriously, I think that would be a great idea as it may promote or otherwise foster in new members. I know some people who would like to do this stuff but simply can't grasp the mechanics, and Paul certainly has a way with excellent illustration skills'.

ptfigg
08-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Maybe we need to make him the official IAIB diagrammer.

Thank You :) . I've been doing this for a long time. Actually since 2004. These days I'm behind the scenes handling audio post.

-paul.

rudyengels
08-02-2014, 05:49 AM
This is just great! The Allen & Heath XB-10 and 286s are on my shortlist. A podcast with some explanation how everything works exactly (mix minus, Tascam, ...) would make this even better :D Thanks anyway for this diagram!

ptfigg
08-02-2014, 05:54 AM
This is just great! The Allen & Heath XB-10 and 286s are on my shortlist. A podcast with some explanation how everything works exactly (mix minus, Tascam, ...) would make this even better :D Thanks anyway for this diagram!

You're welcome. Did you read my article that I linked to?

Link to article. (http://www.producenewmedia.com/?p=2183)

It's a basic overview of the design. When you're ready I'll be around to offer assistance. It's why I joined the forum :)

-paul.
@produceNewMedia

rudyengels
08-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Paul,

While you were typing this answer, I was looking at your site. What a wealth of information! Thanks for giving me a couple of extra reading hours... For more than a year now I'm reading, listening, watching everything there is about podcasting and stuff like this helps me a lot in finally starting. Thanks again for all your work and your appearance here on this magnificent forum!

Dan Ortego
08-02-2014, 06:16 AM
Say Paul,
Since you're new to the forum, you should know that some of us gather on Sunday's to participate on the 'Nissan Communications Network' Skype broadcast "Computers 2K Now!!!" This where we share in the craft and much more. The show starts at 9:00 a.m. EST

http://www.computers2know.com/

Regards,

ptfigg
08-02-2014, 06:21 AM
Paul,

While you were typing this answer, I was looking at your site. What a wealth of information! Thanks for giving me a couple of extra reading hours... For more than a year now I'm reading, listening, watching everything there is about podcasting and stuff like this helps me a lot in finally starting. Thanks again for all your work and your appearance here on this magnificent forum!

You're welcome! I've been in this for a long time and I'm happy to help.

-paul.
@produceNewMedia

ptfigg
08-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Say Paul,
Since you're new, you should know that some of us gather on Sunday's to participate on the 'Nissan Communications Network' Skype broadcast "Computers 2K Now!!!" This where we share in the craft and much more. The show starts at 9:00 a.m. EST

http://www.computers2know.com/

Regards,

Thanks, Dan. I'll keep this in mind.

New to the forum, yes. Definitely not new to the space. :) I'm in this since 2004, way before most people even knew what a podcast was. I'm here to help as much as I can. Besides the gear stuff I'll be talking about various aspects of audio post, including Loudness issues and compliance.

-paul.
@produceNewMedia.

obanta
08-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Thoughts on the Tascam DA-3000? Tascam has a $200 rebate right now, so the cost difference between it and the SS-R200 is ~$200 - $250. You can record in a higher quality format and convert/bounce to MP3 when publishing. Total overkill?

SS-R200
WAV: Stereo/Mono, 44.1kHz/48kHz, 16bit

DA-3000
BWF(rec/play) / WAV(playback only),
44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz,
16/24bit

Thanks.

Dan Ortego
08-09-2014, 08:22 AM
First up, welcome to the IAIB forum obanta!

Yes, I noticed the discount up on the Sweetwater website a few days' ago. I've had this recorder in my wish list for a long time and now its a lot more tempting. In fact, if you call and request a personal quote, you may well save an additional few bucks in addition to the promotional discount.

Sure, it's likely overkill but if you don't plan to do offsite recording and you're fairly certain you'll stick with the whole webcasting gig, then it most certainly would make for a super clean set-up. :cool:

ptfigg
08-09-2014, 08:46 AM
Sure, it's likely overkill but if you don't plan to do offsite recording and you're fairly certain you'll stick with the whole webcasting gig, then it most certainly would make for a super clean set-up. For me personally, I already a rack-mount gear fanatic so it's definitely back on the front burner for me.

I agree. I also think it depends on what you will be recording. In a music recording environment that sort of doubles as a webcast/podcast studio - the extra $250 is a no-brainer. However if you are solely recording spoken word podcasts, well then I'm not so sure it would make that much of a difference.

Definitely a nice piece. I doubt if you'll ever need sample rate support higher than 48kHz for podcasts. OTOH the higher bit depth/res. support (24bit) might come in handy.

-paul.

obanta
08-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback Dan and Paul. I went ahead and ordered it, so I look forward to trying it out next week.

Paul - I agree with everyone else about being really impressed with your diagrams. Do you use Visio with product images or do you use something else?

ptfigg
08-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback Dan and Paul. I went ahead and ordered it, so I look forward to trying it out next week.

Paul - I agree with everyone else about being really impressed with your diagrams. Do you use Visio with product images or do you use something else?

Cool. Please let us know how it works out.

As far as my diagrams - :) ...

The style and implementation started back in the early days when clients would call for help with gear selection. The problem was once they had everything on hand - they had no idea how to make it all work. And so I decided to provide diagrams for reference. In fact it made things so much easier when we eventually got on the phone to discuss things and bring everything together.

Also keep in mind I'm no artist or designer! Besides the audio/video stuff I can write some Cocoa code. That's about it.

Bottom line is I'm solely on Macs. I use Photoshop CC and Apple's Keynote to build the diagrams. The snapshots of the gear are handled in Photoshop and the actual drawings are done in Keynote.

Here's something that I did way back on 2006, also with Photoshop and Keynote. Everything was from scratch. This was when Skype wasn't that great and most people were looking to pull in Telco audio for recording. At that time everyone was buying Telos One's. In fact I had two of them.

-paul.

http://f-video.s3.amazonaws.com/figg-mm.jpg

Dan Ortego
08-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Congrats obanta on pulling the trigger and making some of us jealous. If I hadn’t already purchased a new mixer last week I may well have ordered one for myself. Looking forward to reading your review after you’ve had time to play with it.

Sidebar: Say Paul, that's another fine illustration you have there. I would love to have you make one of my set-up once I get closer to being in finalized.