PDA

View Full Version : Podcasting Coaches Ruining Podcasting

TommySulivan
07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Before I start with my rant I do want to say that there are a few Podcasting coaches that I respect and think they are doing a great service for new Podcasters and the entire Podcasting community but ... enough is enough. How many podcasting coaches do we need.

Im sorry but most of these guys have no experience in creating interesting content, all they are doing is regurgitating the same things we see here on the forum but charging people for it. Most of these guys are marketing "snake oil salesmen" that have capitalized on people who think its a necessity to hire someone to be a successful Podcaster. These snake oil salesmen are not only giving people bad advice, but also convincing people that they can make money Podcasting. The only way you can make money is by creating content people want to hear. Either you suck or you dont. Most Podcasts are awful. not due to the content or quality of audio, but due to the host not having "IT". Not everyone is a winner.

Its a shame that these people have been able to gain any sort of leverage in this market. I just took a look at a conference that will be happening in a few weeks and have no idea who 95% of the speakers are. After doing some homework I learned that most of these people are not Podcasters at all, they are Get rich quick people.

I hope more people come to their sense and stop listening to these dopes. How can you tell me how to podcast if you have never created content that works.

Again there are a few people out there doing great stuff for the Podcasting community but most ...sadly are not

Todd Cochrane had a great rant on facebook the other day. Here is what he said

Podcasting goes through cycles and about every 3 years their is a rash of new experts, that see podcasting as an opportunity to line their pockets.
These snake oil salesmen put together podcast training / consulting packages that will have all sorts of claims.
My advice is check the credentials of anyone you work with closely and ask for proof of past successes..
Meanwhile I have broken out the popcorn as some of the crap being promoted these days is pretty entertaining. I also know in 6-9 months we will see an increase in consults as we clean up the mess and wake of destruction.
Post edit: Let me add one more thing. We have a lot of new folks getting started. Lets do our best to mentor them so they are here for the long haul.

MovieBuff
07-28-2014, 11:03 AM
I know what you mean. It's as annoying as those so called "free" products that are actually "Bait & Switch" products, ads, or websites.

That is why I love the IAIB forums because it is the complete opposite of those "snake oil sales people." The IAIB is free and you can individually assess different opinions, get equipment recommendations, suggestions, etc.

domineaux
07-28-2014, 01:13 PM
No reason to be concerned. I am glad to get the information, so I can make my own mind about it.

Don't sweat the experts as long as you are mentally competent. You should be able to sort the flys from the poop.

mcphillips
07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
It really bugs me to see people get duped, but there's only so much you can do to help. At some point, you just have to sit back and let the chips fall where they may.

EDIT: If you see words like "entrepreneur", "success coach", and even "marketing expert", run.

ronknights
08-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Mike, I hear what you're saying. But I hope you eventually realize it's a losing battle. As long as people live, there will always be someone willing to follow the advice of "snake oil salesmen," self-professed experts, mentors etc.

You know the area of podcasting isn't the only place riddled with these idiots.

I'm probably older than you. I sometimes learn from my mistakes. I finally admitted to myself that there are things and people I can't change. That admission was liberating for me. It allowed me to grow, and helped me get along better with other people.

No, I'm no expert. But this is one lesson I've learned.

mcphillips
08-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Ron, we're about the same age. Yes, I've dealt with snake oil salesmen and snake oil consumers my whole life. Heck, I've been a victim a time or two. It's not my place to save people from their naivete, but some really good friends opened my eyes along the way, and I try to pay it forward.

As Leonardo Da Vinci said, "There are three classes of people: those who see, those who see when they are shown, those who do not see." Or was it Andrew Zarian who said it?

ronknights
08-02-2014, 12:22 PM
The IAIB is an excellent way to share knowledge and to help others avoid the snake oil salesmen.

I rarely indulge in quotes because I feel they're pointless.

Oh, but I do love my own motto:' I want it all and I want it now!"

MovieBuff
08-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Oh, but I do love my own motto:' I want it all and I want it now!"

Where have I heard that before.........oh yeah, this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvgUdrzGNys

:p

ronknights
08-02-2014, 01:51 PM
I think Queen has that in one of their songs.

MovieBuff
08-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I think Queen has that in one of their songs.

Touché good sir.

ronknights
08-02-2014, 04:54 PM
No worries my friend.

andrewzarian
08-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Where have I heard that before.........oh yeah, this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvgUdrzGNys

:p

hhahahahahahha

ronknights
08-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Stop laughing, Andy! :rolleyes:

mcphillips
08-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Actually, I take some heat offline about my criticism of the podcasting "success" coaches. That's fine. I'm up for it. To be clear, however, I believe in "success" coaches. In the old days, we called them mentors. In fact, I have three myself. The difference is, each of my mentors has been a multimillionaire for more than ten years, and they don't charge me for their advice.

People who have magically learned the secrets in the last year or two of how to get rich quickly by podcasting (rich is a relative term) and then sell the "secrets" are simply playing to the crowd. They are telling people what they want to hear. People will believe what they want to believe. No one or nothing can stop them. Let them have their folly. Vitamin sellers and miracle weight loss programs survive and thrive for exactly the same reasons.

Or so one of my "success" coaches reminded me recently.