PDA

View Full Version : Podcast a Dirty Word?

andrewzarian
03-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Has Podcasting become a dirty word? I know many people who consider the term Podcast a bad thing. What do you guys think? Should the Term Podcasting go away or is the the industry standard?

BradShoemaker
03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
I believe it is becoming one. Not so much from the tech geeks or those of us who are involved in podcasting, but because the general public still doesn't have a clue what podcasting means. A good portion have heard the term, some even know what you are talking about, but I have found that the majority of people we talk to give us a blank stare when we mention podcasting... some even say "I've heard that word, but what is it?". Almost every time we talk about our shows, people inevitably think of traditional radio. They ask us what station we are with, etc. Therefore, we have decided to start calling them "shows" just so people can relate and don't zone out or lose interest in something due to the term they are unfamiliar with.

As for it being a dirty word, I guess in another sense it can become one. Again, perception is key and people think of podcasting they think of some guy who lives with his parents sitting down in a basement talking dungeons and dragons or WoW despite the fact that even traditional media has their own podcasting elements. Even though it is breaking through the barriers, it is still at the early stages of adoption and acceptance.

Spencer Kobren
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
I believe it is becoming one. Not so much from the tech geeks or those of us who are involved in podcasting, but because the general public still doesn't have a clue what podcasting means. A good portion have heard the term, some even know what you are talking about, but I have found that the majority of people we talk to give us a blank stare when we mention podcasting... some even say "I've heard that word, but what is it?". Almost every time we talk about our shows, people inevitably think of traditional radio. They ask us what station we are with, etc. Therefore, we have decided to start calling them "shows" just so people can relate and don't zone out or lose interest in something due to the term they are unfamiliar with.

As for it being a dirty word, I guess in another sense it can become one. Again, perception is key and people think of podcasting they think of some guy who lives with his parents sitting down in a basement talking dungeons and dragons or WoW despite the fact that even traditional media has their own podcasting elements. Even though it is breaking through the barriers, it is still at the early stages of adoption and acceptance.

I agree with Brad when it comes to how podcasting is perceived by some in the general public.

Coming from radio, I can tell you that traditional broadcasters and industry professionals have also been slow to recognize that internet broadcasting is not only here to stay, but is becoming a dominant force.

Because I was on the periphery of “real” radio as a weekend programmer, I had to find ways to further promote my message early in my career. It was the internet that gave my show even more power on the radio, providing a synergy that catapulted my little hair loss program to a level that no one in radio would have ever foreseen

Internet broadcasting is the future for all broadcasting, and the future is here.

JakeKettle
03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I agree with Brad when it comes to how podcasting is perceived by some in the general public.

Coming from radio, I can tell you that traditional broadcasters and industry professionals have also been slow to recognize that internet broadcasting is not only here to stay, but is becoming a dominant force.

Because I was on the periphery of “real” radio as a weekend programmer, I had to find ways to further promote my message early in my career. It was the internet that gave my show even more power on the radio, providing a synergy that catapulted my little hair loss program to a level that no one in radio would have ever foreseen

Internet broadcasting is the future for all broadcasting, and the future is here.

I'd also have to agree. I don't personally find podcast to be a dirty word per se, but I do understand the connotations of it. Whatever word you put on it is up to you really, I'm more concerned about furthering the medium and the content of my programs to get them to be the best they can be. Personally, I use the term Live video Broadcasting, Netcasting (Leo Laporte's Word), and Podcasting.

RyeBreadRadio
04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
I can understand some people having a hard time calling what they do a 'podcast', especially for shows that existed before the Apple-branded term 'podcast' existed. I'm more inclined to call what I do, given the live format of the show, an internet radio broadcast - the podcasting element comes from uploading the prerecorded show on iTunes for users to download.

But the actual word 'podcast' is far from a dirty word; I just think it's one that's tossed around all too often, oversimplifying certain internet-based shows that have a live, interactive portion to them. My co-hosts sometimes use the term 'podcast' to explain the show to guests during booking, and then they're surprised of the live, interactive element once they're here in the studio.

mcphillips
04-02-2012, 08:55 PM
There was a long LinkedIn thread on this topic not too long ago. The link is here (http://goo.gl/it9X7). You may have to have a LinkedIn account to see the discussion. It's in the Podcasting Technology Resource Group.

Donovan
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I think for those people not in the podcasting world, the term isn't easily identifiable. They don't know what you're talking about. However, if you tell someone that you do an Internet Radio Show, they seem to understand the terms Internet and Radio - they can connect the dots.

I know Leo Laporte didn't like the term podcasting and chose to go with netcasting, which to me is about as confusing. I believe that Internet Broadcasting and/or Internet Radio is a better, more descriptive term that we should all probably transition over to eventually.

andrewzarian
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I personally like the Term Internet Broadcasting. Its easily describes what its is.

Spencer Kobren
04-04-2012, 10:42 AM
I think for those people not in the podcasting world, the term isn't easily identifiable. They don't know what you're talking about. However, if you tell someone that you do an Internet Radio Show, they seem to understand the terms Internet and Radio - they can connect the dots.

I know Leo Laporte didn't like the term podcasting and chose to go with netcasting, which to me is about as confusing. I believe that Internet Broadcasting and/or Internet Radio is a better, more descriptive term that we should all probably transition over to eventually.

The bottom line is that you guys are broadcasters. I didn't all of a sudden become a “podcaster” or a “netcaster” just because I chose to leave radio and broadcast my program exclusively on the internet.
In my view, referring to yourself as anything less than an internet broadcaster sells what you do short.

RyeBreadRadio
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
The bottom line is that you guys are broadcasters. I didn't all of a sudden become a “podcaster” or a “netcaster” just because I chose to leave radio and broadcast my program exclusively on the internet.
In my view, referring to yourself as anything less than an internet broadcaster sells what you do short.

Absolutely, especially for anyone that's put hundreds to thousands of dollars into creating a full-fledged 'studio' in their house! To call anyone from GFQ short of broadcasters would be ridiculous, in my book..

Donovan
04-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Absolutely, especially for anyone that's put hundreds to thousands of dollars into creating a full-fledged 'studio' in their house! To call anyone from GFQ short of broadcasters would be ridiculous, in my book..

Yep, agree on both accounts. I continue to upgrade and add additional equipment to my home studio to increase quality and to call it podcasting does seem to lessen it. I mean, I won't be offended if I'm called a podcaster, but I definitely feel that Internet Broadcaster, as a label, is much more effective and accurate.

Spencer Kobren
04-04-2012, 11:29 AM

Look, the truth is I have the opportunity to join online networks created by “real” radio personalities, but I choose to work with and stick with GFQ. Internet broadcasting is an art that incorporates elements that far exceed the scope of conventional broadcasting...GFQ gets it and I’m proud to be part of what they do!

Spencer Kobren
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Yep, agree on both accounts. I continue to upgrade and add additional equipment to my home studio to increase quality and to call it podcasting does seem to lessen it. I mean, I won't be offended if I'm called a podcaster, but I definitely feel that Internet Broadcaster, as a label, is much more effective and accurate.

There are so many really talented internet broadcasters who are creating compelling and entertaining content who sadly, paint themselves into the “podcasting” corner, not even realizing that they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

BradShoemaker
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
There are so many really talented internet broadcasters who are creating compelling and entertaining content who sadly, paint themselves into the “podcasting” corner, not even realizing that they are doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

Absolutely. It reminds me of what I used to think radio was until it became a numbers game. The hey day of radio (which I caught the tail end of) had people with personalities, people who thought differently and people who were given a shot to become something... now that format is a shell of its former self. It relegates the interesting people to the side while instead putting the status quo "personalities" who only intro and outro songs.

Internet Broadcasting is the new form of expression and creativity and it is not held down by the corporate conglomerates (for now anyway). This is the wild west of broadcasting, which means in the coming years you are going to get some pretty interesting stuff. Not all of it good, but most of it uninhibited.

I was a radio guy and have been gathering former personalities, who actually had personalities, who were stuffed in the corner to begin our network. I have also come across several talented non-radio people and have taken chances on them. It is a lot of fun creating on this platform.

So to discard it as just a "podcast" seems to limit what I am actually doing. A podcast (as stated earlier) seems like what a WoW kid (not discriminating) does in his parents basement . An Internet Broadcaster is committed to putting out high quality content that stretches beyond the bounds of a simple podcast.

Spencer Kobren
04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Absolutely. It reminds me of what I used to think radio was until it became a numbers game. The hey day of radio (which I caught the tail end of) had people with personalities, people who thought differently and people who were given a shot to become something... now that format is a shell of its former self. It relegates the interesting people to the side while instead putting the status quo "personalities" who only intro and outro songs.

Internet Broadcasting is the new form of expression and creativity and it is not held down by the corporate conglomerates (for now anyway). This is the wild west of broadcasting, which means in the coming years you are going to get some pretty interesting stuff. Not all of it good, but most of it uninhibited.

I was a radio guy and have been gathering former personalities, who actually had personalities, who were stuffed in the corner to begin our network. I have also come across several talented non-radio people and have taken chances on them. It is a lot of fun creating on this platform.

So to discard it as just a "podcast" seems to limit what I am actually doing. A podcast (as stated earlier) seems like what a WoW kid (not discriminating) does in his parents basement . An Internet Broadcaster is committed to putting out high quality content that stretches beyond the bounds of a simple podcast.

Well said Brad! Podcasting needs to be a part of all internet broadcaster’s repertoires, but it’s only one aspect of the content creation needed to have a truly successful internet broadcast, in my view.

jamesdelfresco
10-15-2012, 07:08 PM
I was telling someone about podcasting and they asked me if its "something like amateur radio" I think some people dont take it seriously