PDA

View Full Version : Burnout/Self Criticism

MyTakeRadio
05-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I figured I would post this in the general section to get some insight into how others are coping with this particular issue. Last night I did the live show which ran roughly 90 minutes or so and after playing it back to edit it I really felt unhappy with the product. Not because of the audio or the content but just because I felt I wasn't at my best. I love doing the show but the uphill struggle to be effective, energetic and entertaining on air does tend to take its toll especially when coupled with show prep,social media and website content generation. While I know we are all our worst critics I am curious to see if you guys have experienced instances like that and if you've ever been burnt out from what you do.

andrewzarian
05-04-2012, 07:22 AM
I know what you mean Rich. this is something that everyone goes through. To be honest I am currently running on empty and need a vacation desperately. With that said you will always notice things that the viewers wont. A few weeks ago I thought I had done awful show but the audience didn't see it that way. You will always be your worst critic. If you really feel burnt might be a good idea to take a week off. It goes a long way.

MyTakeRadio
05-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Taking a week off will be happening soon. I did it awhile back and just did taped shows which eased things a bit. Part of the frustration is from the need to have a good product that can break through the glass ceiling. We all talk about revenue and passion but at the end of the day passion doesn't pay bills, revenue does. I am also guilty of burning the candle at both ends. Not sleeping due to working on the site and doing research has definitely played a part as well. I am glad I am not alone in this though. Shit is stressful!

Spencer Kobren
05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Taking a week off will be happening soon. I did it awhile back and just did taped shows which eased things a bit. Part of the frustration is from the need to have a good product that can break through the glass ceiling. We all talk about revenue and passion but at the end of the day passion doesn't pay bills, revenue does. I am also guilty of burning the candle at both ends. Not sleeping due to working on the site and doing research has definitely played a part as well. I am glad I am not alone in this though. Shit is stressful!

That’s part of the game man. When you stop being self critical, you stop caring. I’ve been doing this since 1998 and there are still days when I think I sucked!:) Everyone has their less than stellar performances, but what matters is that you just keep doing what you do and continue to evolve.

When I was doing Andrew’s show last night my bandwidth was screwed up so I knew that my sound would be horrible. Even though it wasn’t my fault I still hate the fact that I sounded like crap. It’s just the way that it is. We all want to be at the top of our game for every broadcast but that just can’t happen...Deal with it and move on and get back on that "live" horse ASAP!

MyTakeRadio
05-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Spencer I appreciate the proverbial kick in the ass. I scrutinize every aspect of my on air product and site product with the goal of either learning something or improving on something. I started hot in 2006 and got burned out within a year due to pushing things and not learning how to improve my content. Had I not burned out who knows where I'd be regarding my show. As always props to you and Andrew for helping me cope and understand the mental aspect of internet broadcasting.

jamesdelfresco
10-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I was wondering if its exhaustion, Frustration or lack of stuff to talk about that does it ?

andrewzarian
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I think its a combo of all of them . We can canceled shows on GFQ because they just ran its course. Sometimes there is nothing more you can do with a show. It content gets exhausted you also get tired of doing the show